Well, Android will get its ActiveSync glitches fixed before RIM comes out with a Webkit browser. I guarantee you that. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-09 08:09 PM
    Sorry BB guys...former BB addict here...The storm was just to much work to keep up with. Kinda miss waiting for the new os to leak though. I think I will be over that very soon. Loving my droid so far.
    11-12-09 08:24 PM
    I've seen the same billboard on my way to work along the highway. Great to see the marketing out there. I like the 2 or 3 commercials I've also seen too. I want to see more, they really need to put money into this product for advertising. It's such a great product, so they should really push it more in Billboards, TV, Radio, etc.

I would love to see more commercials pushing what it can do like the one about Google Maps Navigation. Very good to point out it's exclusive and special features that set it aside from the iPhone and Storm~!
    11-12-09 11:47 PM
    Well, Android will get its ActiveSync glitches fixed before RIM comes out with a Webkit browser. I guarantee you that. Lol

Not taking sides here because I think the droid is a sweet device. Heck, I might even be sporting one if my company supported anything other than BB. However, I wouldnt be making grand statements about how quickly Google will be fixing AS. It took the Iphone 3 years for copy and paste and MMS. The pre still doesnt officially have video capture capabilities. I could go on and on. My point is that with each device, I check the respective forums to see how everyone is doing and the one common theme is, "oh dont worry, Palm/Apple/Droid will have the fixed in no time". Rarely is that the case.
    11-13-09 07:57 AM
    Not taking sides here because I think the droid is a sweet device. Heck, I might even be sporting one if my company supported anything other than BB. However, I wouldnt be making grand statements about how quickly Google will be fixing AS. It took the Iphone 3 years for copy and paste and MMS. The pre still doesnt officially have video capture capabilities. I could go on and on. My point is that with each device, I check the respective forums to see how everyone is doing and the one common theme is, "oh dont worry, Palm/Apple/Droid will have the fixed in no time". Rarely is that the case.
    IPhone isn't open source, and wasn't the MMS issue on AT&T's end?
    11-13-09 09:39 AM
    IPhone isn't open source, and wasn't the MMS issue on AT&T's end?
    It was at the end, but no carrier offered MMS prior to its "launch" earlier this year.
    11-13-09 09:44 AM

I'd just about be willing to bet you money on that one.

That leaked document from Verizon mentioned having several AS fixes in a December release and a January release. But, the same document mentioned the issues with forwarded messages being sent as EML file attachments, and not being able to search mail or calendar, and for those it listed them as Known Limitations or something like that. Didn't say anything about fixing them.

And I would definitely bet money that RIM will have a Webkit browser before AS will sync Notes.
    11-13-09 10:07 AM

And I would definitely bet money that RIM will have a Webkit browser before AS will sync Notes.
    sounds good to me...you really want to make this bet? $200-$300 USD?
    11-13-09 11:33 AM
    You're on.

Just to be clear, here's the bet:

- Microsoft releases a version of ActiveSync that will sync the items in my Notes folder in my Exchange mailbox with some (commercially available) mobile phone device, Over The Air (i.e. wirelessly). I.e. just like my BB and BES does now.

- RIM releases a Webkit (or whatever that Torch thing is people are talking about) based browser that runs on some (commercially available) mobile phone.

If MS releases first, you win. If RIM releases first, I win.

As for the amount, you go ahead and pick how much you want to pay me.
    11-13-09 02:40 PM
    Well, considering it doesn't do it on the iPhone either, I would bet you're probably right, but bottom line is, while it would be nice to get Tasks and Notes sync'd over wirelessly (Yes, I have no clue why that wasn't part of AS to begin with on MS's end ), I'm sure everyone agrees that 90% of all users use Email/Contacts/Calendar wireless sync more then anything. Couple that with the FACT that BIS doesn't so isht to sync Contacts/Calendar with Enterprise email and you can see where ActiveSync capable phones have the upper hand advantage over BB "Out of the box".

Again, my argument isn't and wasn't ever (not even limited to this thread at that) about ActiveSync being better then what RIM has to offer "completely". In some cases it is better then BES (because BES still has attachment and download size limits still), but that "out of the box", the cost vs performance between BB and an AS device running on a corporate network who's employing MS Exchange, is DEFINITELY in AS's court.
    First, AS does support syncing Tasks, just not Notes.

Second, "out of the box", the BB supports push email and syncing Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, and Notes. AS doesn't. So, no, AS does not have an advantage in functionality "out of the box" (other than costing less). Just because it costs more on the back end doesn't mean the device doesn't support it "out of the box". I took my BB out of the box, activated it with Verizon, activated it on a BES, and synced all those things. More things than you can sync an AS device with, no matter the cost.

So, even when you're comparing cost vs performance, AS still loses because the cost of syncing Notes is infinite. So to speak.
    11-13-09 04:51 PM
    You're on.

Just to be clear, here's the bet:
    wasn't for me : ) I was only asking if you were serious for any takers...

I have no stake in this I don't care about AS or BES.....

I run my own company. Use gmail for all my needs.....

makes for a good bet though...........
    11-13-09 05:13 PM
    Coming from a BB, there are some things about its email that I definitely miss. That said, I was able to download a $10 app called Touchdown that has most of those functions (folder filtering, folder searching, easier attachment mngmt, easier processing of meeting invites, etc...). Though I don't use it, it also syncs tasks (though apparently not notes). That's certainly cheaper than the $15/month to Verizon for corporate provisioning and the costs of the BES and is perfectly adequate for MY company's needs. Your mileage may vary, but the Droid's perfectly capable of handling Exchange with some extremely minor and inexpensive tweaks. Out of the box, it's not as polished as its competitors, but its certainly not any sort of deal breaker.

On a side note, I spent two days in NYC this week. The Droid does Times Square thing is pretty neat since I got to put my wife's name on a sign (cool) and Madison Square Garden was plastered with the male-centric droid posters. They're really pushing the heck out of this thing.

11-13-09 06:42 PM
    But thats the thing, this is Google were talking about. They have already been working on some of the shortcomings and are releasing an update asap and are even looking at yet another update. Google is on the ball with trying to get things fixed right away.
    11-13-09 07:06 PM
    First, AS does support syncing Tasks, just not Notes.

Second, "out of the box", the BB supports push email and syncing Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, and Notes. AS doesn't. So, no, AS does not have an advantage in functionality "out of the box" (other than costing less). Just because it costs more on the back end doesn't mean the device doesn't support it "out of the box". I took my BB out of the box, activated it with Verizon, activated it on a BES, and synced all those things. More things than you can sync an AS device with, no matter the cost.

So, even when you're comparing cost vs performance, AS still loses because the cost of syncing Notes is infinite. So to speak.
    Notes/Memos do Sync over via a cable with ActiveSync on a WinMo device, similar to the out of box DM capabilities that a BB has.

When I say "extra cost" for BES, I'm not talking data plan. I'm talking actually having a BES server at work. What you did to sync up with BES does not apply to everyone that buys a BB.

Also, mailbox subfolder navigation on a BB linked to a BES is a joke. Put your hands on a iPhone (since that integration of ActiveSync is by far the smoothest of all 3rd party handsets right now) and you'll see how easy it is to flip through mailboxes and folders for email. The BB interface is still antiquated because they're still stuck on the whole Menu BS from the old trackwheel days. RIM needs a makeover.... case closed.

Android needs some polishing as well.

11-14-09 01:24 AM
    That include daily battery pulls, lag, etc.?
    +1, can't wait to get a Droid.
    Any one willing to trade for a Tour?
    11-26-09 02:08 PM
    lol... Just what is a bare-knuckle bucket?
    11-26-09 05:15 PM
    lol... Just what is a bare-knuckle bucket?
    bring your face a little closer to the monitor...........little more.............almost there.........little more.......hold it right there.......................

POW!!!!!!! you just got knocked the eff out.

_Thats_ what a bare-knuckled bucket of Does is : )
    11-26-09 05:20 PM
    ha well thats not very nice... but effective... someone get me some ice for my eye
    11-26-09 05:41 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD