Well, tried the Incredible for exactly one week. It's an amazing device, and if I didn't have very specific needs for a handheld, I probably would keep this thing for years. Here are the reasons I ultimately re-activated my Tour this morning:

1. Messaging - BB by far has the best messaging. Yes, Android EAS is push and it works just fine, but filing messages in folders is more difficult, finding contacts is harder - I mean, when typing a name for recipient, there's no space bar on the keyboard? What the heck is that about?

1a. Lack of unified inbox - I want all SMS, MMS, IM, Exchange, Gmail all to be in one box. Flipping around between four inboxes is a serious PITA.

2. Battery life - already bought the Seidio, and it does give it some extra juice, but if I use this thing the way it's intended, battery will still drain so much faster than my tour.

3. Lack of universal bluetooth - can't voice-dial or tts through bluetooth. That's crazy. Also can't play pandora or mlb at-bat through bt, both of which I can do on my Tour.

4. No holsters yet. My fault, I knew this, but it turns out it's a serious pain getting the DI into the leather belt clip holster without pressing the power or volume buttons and waking it back up. The BB sleeper magnet has always been fantastic.

Believe me, besides messaging, this DI is an amazing, fun device, but since I can only afford and want to carry one device, it's going to have to be the Tour for now.
    05-06-10 09:45 AM
    Its to bad you had such a bad experience, I have one on the way and I'm pretty exited. I am also a little scared cause I am so used to my storm , I don't know if I'm gonna like learning the new os.
    What are you gonna do with the extended battery?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-10 10:07 AM
    god i would never go back to blackberry. you have more balls than i do. God i would kill my self blackberry is way to slow and ugg that trackball on the tour drives me up the wall. You will be back

05-06-10 10:29 AM
    It wasn't a bad experience at all and in fact I actually really enjoyed using the Android OS, except for communication. If that and the bt get worked out I might be back in a hurry.

05-06-10 10:37 AM
    Well, tried the Incredible for exactly one week. It's an amazing device, and if I didn't have very specific needs for a handheld, I probably would keep this thing for years. Here are the reasons I ultimately re-activated my Tour this morning:

1. Messaging - BB by far has the best messaging. Yes, Android EAS is push and it works just fine, but filing messages in folders is more difficult, finding contacts is harder - I mean, when typing a name for recipient, there's no space bar on the keyboard? What the heck is that about?

1a. Lack of unified inbox - I want all SMS, MMS, IM, Exchange, Gmail all to be in one box. Flipping around between four inboxes is a serious PITA.

2. Battery life - already bought the Seidio, and it does give it some extra juice, but if I use this thing the way it's intended, battery will still drain so much faster than my tour.

3. Lack of universal bluetooth - can't voice-dial or tts through bluetooth. That's crazy. Also can't play pandora or mlb at-bat through bt, both of which I can do on my Tour.

4. No holsters yet. My fault, I knew this, but it turns out it's a serious pain getting the DI into the leather belt clip holster without pressing the power or volume buttons and waking it back up. The BB sleeper magnet has always been fantastic.

Believe me, besides messaging, this DI is an amazing, fun device, but since I can only afford and want to carry one device, it's going to have to be the Tour for now.
    I too was so hesistant when switching over from my S2 which I believe I had the thing set up beautifully and never had any problems with it in comparison to the other readers on this forum. The biggest issue that made me consider switching back was the PUSH email for my outlook and them dissapearing once outlook retrieved them, but a bit of research on the forums and that has been solved!

Getting back to your post, I understand your issue with not being able to transmit MLB at bat nor Pandora through BT, but when I played it on my S2, it was soo freaking inconsistant that it drove me nuts. Constantly breaking up and freezing up on me. So I ask you, would you rather use the headphones you can also answer calls through (supplied with the BBerry) or not listen to anything at all (BBerry not being able to properly run an application)???? A small price to pay with a huge upside and that is what ultimately sold me on this phone. I could not get over how smoothly this phone can run an application and finally be able to enjoy it without it buffering or freezing up on my every minute.

I'm sure you've already heard and experienced this, but the browser experience this thing gives you is second to none. Not only can you have multiple tabs open at once, but you can also be multi tasking with various applications running in the backround.

Not to make a long story short, I loved and continue to monitor what happens with BBerry. Anxiously waiting on 6.0 OS and crossing my fingers for it to blow everybody away, but I have to be realistic and I just simply cannot see the phone improving soo drastically that it will make me give up the DI.

Sorry the phone didn't work for you, but the BBerry would also be my second choice. Good luck!
    05-06-10 12:37 PM
    See, my Tour doesn't freeze or hang on me. The latest hybrid I'm running is smooth as silk. Mlb audio plays perfectly. Bottom line was messaging. I just don't have three weeks to get used to it. If it doesn't immediately increase my efficiency and productivity, it's gone.
    I fully agree the DI is very impressive, including the browser, social networking integration, UI customization. All that good stuff. I loved everything about it except the core messaging functions. (Oh and it dropped a few calls yesterday and my Tour has never dropped one.

Last edited by kjjb0204; 05-06-10 at 01:59 PM.
    05-06-10 01:55 PM
    See, my Tour doesn't freeze or hang on me. The latest hybrid I'm running is smooth as silk. Mlb audio plays perfectly. Bottom line was messaging. I just don't have three weeks to get used to it. If it doesn't immediately increase my efficiency and productivity, it's gone.

Don't get me wrong, my S2 ran flawlessly, but I cannot deny that it wasn't capable to run applications as smooth as the DI does. Now with that being said, I totally understand your messaging issues with it. I too don't really like the keyboard and adored the S2's sure press keyboard, but there's a simple solution to that. Speech to txt! Simply hit the button, talk for as long as you want and it will generate the message for you. Incredible! Certainly beats any keyboard for that matter.

I'm not trying to sway your opinion on things, but am just giving you my .02$ since I too was a bit closed minded on how much this phone rocks! Sure, many things aren't similiar to the BBerry and how it goes about doing things, but I find that its similiar solutions are that much easier to use.
    05-06-10 02:04 PM
    Don't get me wrong, my S2 ran flawlessly, but I cannot deny that it wasn't capable to run applications as smooth as the DI does. Now with that being said, I totally understand your messaging issues with it. I too don't really like the keyboard and adored the S2's sure press keyboard, but there's a simple solution to that. Speech to txt! Simply hit the button, talk for as long as you want and it will generate the message for you. Incredible! Certainly beats any keyboard for that matter.

I'm not trying to sway your opinion on things, but am just giving you my .02$ since I too was a bit closed minded on how much this phone rocks! Sure, many things aren't similiar to the BBerry and how it goes about doing things, but I find that its similiar solutions are that much easier to use.
    Hang on there, I wasn't closed minded about the Incredible's capabilities. I'll say it again - I loved almost everything about it and I realize the OS and UI are light years ahead of any BB and there are so many cool and functional things it can do, but messaging is where it falls short for my needs. And speech to text is not perfect, not even close. And if it's wrong, inserting the cursor and fixing is not easy either.
    05-06-10 04:07 PM
    Hang on there, I wasn't closed minded about the Incredible's capabilities. I'll say it again - I loved almost everything about it and I realize the OS and UI are light years ahead of any BB and there are so many cool and functional things it can do, but messaging is where it falls short for my needs. And speech to text is not perfect, not even close. And if it's wrong, inserting the cursor and fixing is not easy either.
    Sorry bro, let me rephraze that. Wasn't trying to call you closed minded.....just wanted to state the fact that when I first went to play with it at the store I was soo reserved or even willing to accept it. Once the temptation was too strong, I couldn't resist.

Again, sorry to hear the phone didn't work out for ya.
    05-06-10 04:21 PM
    OP pretty much nailed the biggest drawbacks of the device. No GSM is another big one
    05-06-10 04:29 PM
    I went from my G1 back to a Blackberry, I just dont like the Incredible and I only do GSM phones now, I looking towards my next phone and I dont know if I want SOny X10 or BB 9700.
    05-06-10 04:36 PM
    Sony Xperia X10 is pretty but it still runs the Andoid 1.6. There is a rumor about an upgrade to 2.1 in Q4 of 2010. I do have the 9700 for work and connectivity. It is an plain awesome phone (but T-Mobile wireless coverage is not really awesome like the phone)!
    05-06-10 04:51 PM
    The incredible is so far superior than any blackberry It's not funny. At WES 2010 there were no major changes coming to blackberry that would make you jump. I don't even think rim is even going to compete with the android market. I believe they will put all their eggs in the business market not the consumer side.
    Last edited by ESN; 05-06-10 at 06:04 PM.
    05-06-10 06:02 PM
    Blackberrys do a lot of things better then an Android phone can do, Messaging on the Blackberry is one of them. Thats why Blackberry will continue to keep growing world wide. Thats why I would never switch to Android myself either. I need a fast communication device, and the Blackberry is just that, its a work horse

05-06-10 06:22 PM
    got my Android phone two days ago, and while I was totally excited at first, I now begin to feel the drawbacks that the original poster was describing....everything about the phone is amazing, except messaging and, well, the phone functionality...at least once you've gotten used to the entirely integrated performance a blackberry gives you on that front, the obvious shortcomings of the android device(s) in this respect become hard to overlook.

I am still making up my mind on whether to keep the thing or not, since I love the web on it, all the apps etc....but a phone (to me anyway) should first and foremost exist as communication device, and on that front, the BB is second to none...

Maybe I'm just resisting change, who knows, but just wanted to share my sentiment with the OP.

h
    05-06-10 06:36 PM
    I'm glad I read this thread. I'm considering getting an Android phone but I use my BlackBerry alot for messaging.

05-06-10 06:36 PM
    I concur, I have been thinking of switching from my B.B. Storm 2 to the the incredible. The things i need most are email for exchange server and my 3 other email accounts, and messaging with some of my employees. I do love my storm 2 but after reading this i might stay put for a little while longer.
    05-06-10 07:25 PM
    I went in so I could upgrade to the Incredible today. They said I had to wait 2 weeks before it came in. I decided to wait. I will probably compare it with the new 9650 that's rumored to come out. Whenever that is. That will give me time to see if I'll stay with BlackBerry, or switch over to Android.

05-06-10 07:41 PM
    I concur, I have been thinking of switching from my B.B. Storm 2 to the the incredible. The things i need most are email for exchange server and my 3 other email accounts, and messaging with some of my employees. I do love my storm 2 but after reading this i might stay put for a little while longer.
    It does alot of that very well....I just synced it to my outlook and with a few settings am able to receive and keep all my emails plus moved over 250 contacts with their information on to the phone. The thing has speech to txt which makes things a breeze

The phone isn't for everybody, but coming from an S2, I have yet to find something that it doesn't do better that the S2. Never used BBM so I don't miss it.

The current BBerry OS simply cannot run an application properly........I got tired of it always freezing up on me or not being able to keep up.
    05-06-10 08:02 PM
    It does alot of that very well....I just synced it to my outlook and with a few settings am able to receive and keep all my emails plus moved over 250 contacts with their information on to the phone. The thing has speech to txt which makes things a breeze

The phone isn't for everybody, but coming from an S2, I have yet to find something that it doesn't do better that the S2. Never used BBM so I don't miss it.

The current BBerry OS simply cannot run an application properly........I got tired of it always freezing up on me or not being able to keep up.
    I think we differ in opinion also because you came from the s2 where I came from the Tour. I'm so used to the physical keyboard and all of the shortcuts it offers that the Storm never had.
    05-06-10 08:20 PM

What applications are you referring to? I got my S2 on release day and it has NEVER once frozen from an app or otherwise. I listen to Pandora everyday, it streams without interruption. I also listen to Iheart Radio and XM on it just fine.
    05-06-10 09:56 PM
    What applications are you referring to? I got my S2 on release day and it has NEVER once frozen from an app or otherwise. I listen to Pandora everyday, it streams without interruption. I also listen to Iheart Radio and XM on it just fine.
    Both Pandora and Slacker radio could never play without interruption. Hence the reason I had both, just in case once acted up I wasn't left without music on my drives.

When I first joined the forum I considered myself lucky compared to most of the readers on here because I never had SERIOUS issues, but was never blind to the fact that having to reboot at least once a day was just plain unacceptable. Once the S2 came out, it felt light years ahead of the S1, but from time to time it still had connectivity issues and when compared to the Incredible's ability to multi task, there is no comparison. Another problem I had was when trying to open App World, it only worked when it wanted to. Lately I was having to re install my apps over and over so they would appear on My World even after I had signed in to App World.

I loved my S2 and continue to monitor everything that happens in the world of RIM too as well as anxiously await 6.0 OS, but when Quick pull is one of the most downloaded apps on App World, there's is definitely a problem here.
    05-06-10 11:52 PM
    If Android's messaging system improved I would consider them again. I do like a lot of what Android devices have to offer and am excited about the EVO slated to be released on my network in about a month, but until the messaging functionality is dealt with, I will be staying right here with my BlackBerry smartphone. One thing that I like about the Android devices that utilize the sense UI is that there is a compact qwerty keyboard that gives the effect of the suretype keyboard of the Storm. That's pretty cool, however, the predictive text that comes a long with it is very cumbersome.

05-08-10 02:16 AM
    For me, I didnt feel any regerts when I farewell BB for good.. But I must admit that really missed sidekick the most then BB..
    Last edited by VIDGMER; 05-08-10 at 02:37 AM.
    05-08-10 02:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD