Looks like the sub $300 tablet contest is heating up. Asus and Google both now have 7" tablets, probably for this summer for $250 and $200 respectively. Both appear to be packing quad core processors running Android 4.x OS. I think sammy also announced a 7" as well but knowing sammy they won't be priced low but I thought I saw a comment that the other 2 tabs are meant to run against the Kindle price range and size but with beefier components.
    I'm curious to see if his will make RIM hesitate to ever raise the PB price back to launch prices. As for Apple, if past practice is any indicator they"ll opt out of the 7" fight altogether since their current iPad is already working for them and take a wait and see reactive stance. Man this business is moving fast! However it does reinforce my time tested and true practice of staying about 6 months behind current trends when I buy gadgets. That way I don't pay top dollar for a quickly outdated product and it's never failed me.
    01-12-12 03:00 AM

quad core with ice cream...geez...
    01-12-12 03:07 AM

quad core with ice cream...geez...
    ICS isn't all that and a bag of chips I still prefer qnx by a long shot. As for the quad core, you'd be wiser to let the impatient consumers be the guinea pigs and see how it all pans out. Intel recently announced getting into the mobile cpu contest with Atom processors designed for phones. I saw some benchmarks on a single core that were blowing the doors off all the current dual cores by quite a hefty margin
    01-12-12 03:26 AM
    This can't be good news for the (soon to be) year old Playbook.
    01-12-12 04:20 AM
    I love the 7" form factor. The iPad did nothing for me in a large part because of the size. I may as well carry a laptop. Both need a bag. So the success of 7" tablets like the KF, (hopefully) PB, and others is fantastic.

It would be nice to see the weight of these drop a little over the next 12 months or so and then I might take the plunge. In the meantime, the PB is still a decent bit of kit and new tablets are not going to change that
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-12-12 04:41 AM
    Looks like the sub $300 tablet contest is heating up. Asus and Google both now have 7" tablets, probably for this summer for $250 and $200 respectively. u.
    google has a 7" tablet? link?
    01-12-12 05:08 AM
    Announced but not released. You can look it up in the same amount of time it would take me too

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    01-12-12 05:30 AM
    google has a 7" tablet? link?
    If you hop onto Android Central Im sure there's something about it. I have been checking both CB and AC throughout CES and must admit that both RIM and Google have some pretty cool stuff coming out.
    01-12-12 06:22 AM
    Can't blame them, the 7" form factor is proving to be more practical for many. And although the numbers aren't as large as the general consumer market, I seriously doubt you'll ever see Android in the security sensitive Enterprise arena. Android failed my company's security protocols as well as every security guideline I've read about. Consumer general is different though.
    01-12-12 08:03 AM
    Are they crazy...they're making a 7" tablet. "It will never sell".

lol
    01-12-12 09:25 AM
    Here's an interesting take on Google's tablet. I think the same could be true of any 7" tab coming fresh to the market: Kindle sells well because of the content it offers, not it's stellar hardware, UI, OS, or any other factor. Amazon already had the ecosystem in place unlike RIM-who released terrific hardware with limiting software and a non-existent ecosystem. Google's main challenge will be in its price point vs content.

Here's the link: A Google tablet? Not so fast - CBS News
    01-12-12 09:45 AM
    I got lost on the way to the Android forum!
    01-12-12 10:07 AM
    Here's an interesting take on Google's tablet. I think the same could be true of any 7" tab coming fresh to the market: Kindle sells well because of the content it offers, not it's stellar hardware, UI, OS, or any other factor. Amazon already had the ecosystem in place unlike RIM-who released terrific hardware with limiting software and a non-existent ecosystem. Google's main challenge will be in its price point vs content.

Here's the link: A Google tablet? Not so fast - CBS News
    no, it sells so well because people are cheap and it's $200.
    01-12-12 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD