I currently have a BB Bold from Verizon, and have the desire to switch over to Android. I would appreciate it if a couple of you experts out there can share their opinions with me to help me decide which model to purchase. I hear security is supposed to be better with the Droid Pro? I guess what I am looking for is help from those of you out there who have purchased either model and would like to help me with my choice. Positive or Negative comments are most appreciated.

Thanks
    12-18-10 12:17 PM
    Android phones are Linux based devices. The security is top notch by character design of the system. If you are wanting added security you can download a program called Lookout that will monitor your system for mal-ware. These phones do not get suicide type of viruses that eat away at the phone. They get Mal-Ware that will leach information or track key punches off of the phone. With that being said all of those MalWare programs are masked as legit programs that have a alternative motive.

With that being said the Droid Pro has really good hardware with the exception of the screen. there have been more that one report stating that the lower res screen leave people wanting more. With that said unless you plan on watching shows, movies or videos on the device you shouldn't have a problem. I'm sure it great for using it as a communications tool.

The only experience i have with Big Red's Androids are the OG Droid and the Dx. The Dx is a really nice phone with the cut down version of MotoBlur.and the OG Droid is sill a personal favorite of Android Devices. but it's considerably slower than most of todays devices... The screen is HUGE and pretty well done as far as the DPI and the size. It's a little to big for my person taste, it's darn near the size of a tablet.

But i know there are alot of people on here that are rocking VZW and will chime in shortly.
    12-18-10 12:38 PM
    I hear security is supposed to be better with the Droid Pro?
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what kind of "security" you're after..or whether the Droid Pro offers more than any other Android device. Personally i've never quite understood the "security" argument for BB's (and i've owned BB's for the last 5 years..and still own one). Unless you're in a high profile job or something where the material you're sending and recieving on your phone is of the utmost sensitive material..then I guess I could understand. But for the 80% of consumers who buy phones..my guess is security is a non-factor (other than being able to remote wipe or find your phone in case it's lost or stolen).

As for coming from a Bold to a touchscreen device with or without physical qwerty keyboards..it will take some time to learn the system. Believe me..after picking up my Desire Z and coming from the Torch..it took me a good solid day or two to "unlearn" my BB tendencies and relearn a different OS. As far as other things go like email..I had my phone set to "pull" every 5mins..and sitting side by side with my Torch..sometimes it would actually come in a second or two quicker..and sometimes a minute or two slower. But email isn't a HUGE priority for me anymore..so i've scaled it back to pull every 15mins..and I have zero complaints with the emailing capabilities of Android (and i'm just using stock email..there are apps you can buy that improve the useability and whatnot from what i've heard..if "push" is truly important to you)

You'll definately need to take the time to set up the phone to your liking, and give the new OS a chance. Biggest thing is to come into it with an open mind..and take into account your likes and dislikes, and then make your decision.

As for specific carrier phones..i'm not sure what your's offers..but either way your best bet is to either go in and play with some, or check out the various online forums pertaining to the different models..like those on Android Central, or XDA Development Forums..as well as good ol' Google for reviews and whatnot. Either way..enjoy your search..imo picking out a new (anything) is half the fun
    12-18-10 12:40 PM
    OP, I'm confused what two Android phones you are considering. You only mention the Droid Pro and no other.

Of the current Android phones offered on Verizon, these are the top 3 (IMHO):

Motorola Droid X
    Motorola Droid 2/Droid 2 Global
    Samsung Fascinate

The Droid 2/Droid 2 Global has a slide out physical keybord, if that's what appeals to you about the Droid Pro. However, I will tell you that I came from a BB 8330 and "thought" I needed a physical keyboard. I got the original Droid, which is virtually identical in form-factor to the Droid 2/Droid 2 Global. After about a week, I found myself hardly using the physical keyboard at all. I was regretting having a thick, heavier phone that had a keyboard I wasn't using.

Now that I have an all touchscreen device in the Droid X, all is good.

As mentioned, go to a Verizon store and play around extensively with the display units to get a feel for them. Keep in mind though that some display units can be bogged down with all the cr@p customers have downloaded to the device.
    12-18-10 01:28 PM
    I would like to hear more from you, as in what you want? Is security your "only" issue? I am taking my girls out today, but feel free to fully list what you want/need and I will give you my opinion to (doesn't consider self expert, until building ROMs for your device is understood)
    12-19-10 09:44 AM
    The HTC Merge's release date is just around the corner. If rumors are true, it will be an LTE compatible device from the Desire Z series. The devices has a hinged keyboard and touch screen with a high resolution camera, great browsing capability, and is as secure as any other Android device. If you cannot wait, the Droid Incredible, Droid 2, and Droid X, and LG Vortex are great offers.
    12-19-10 10:09 AM
    universalforce, I hope I'm not hijacking your thread, but I have some questions too, long time BB user, but I find myself becoming very interested in the Droid style devices. I'm presently using a 9780 on AT&T and love my BB for certain features. However, I've read that AT&T will be releasing the Motorola Olympus early 2011. From reading the description and specs this seems like the ultimate droid device. Understand, that when it comes to Droid devices I'm a total noob. I'd really love some honest feedback from those you that are serious Droid users and abusers. I do need to stay with AT&T since they actually have the best coverage in my area. Any feedback, thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-10 10:23 AM
    Understand, that when it comes to Droid devices I'm a total noob.
    As am I Although i'm less of one now as when I made the "jump" (so to speak) almost a month ago.

My intitial advice would be...don't do it unless you're ready to jump in headfirst. The learning curve is gonna be a little steeper..especially coming from a BB user. If you were just somebody who was buying their first smartphone..then it might not be so bad. But if you've had a BB..then chances are you've downloaded and installed leaks, you've run different themes or customized your phone to your liking.

Well all these things are MUCH better on the Android platform, but it does take some time learn. It's not as simple as downloading someone else's "theme" and sitting back and enjoying it (yes I know you can with ROM's..but I won't go there yet cuz I haven't tried anyone's lol). You will have to do most of the hardwork and research yourself..so if you're prepared to put in some time..then great. From a personal standpoint..I just check out peoples screenshots..find something I like, and then find out how I can make that happen on my phone. Usually involves downloading and installing custom icons, docks etc..but really..once you get started learning..it's not that difficult.

As far as the Android system..it's different..but not that much harder to pick up. Instead of "right click" (as I think of it) with the Menu key on a BB..for most things on Android you simply use your finger and click and hold it to gain options for it. Other than BBM..you can pretty much customize all your sounds, notification alerts etc exactly how you have them set up on your BB. As i've said before, i'm not heavily email dependant anymore..so i'm quite content with the "stock" email that "pulls" for me every 15mins (although this can be set to pull every 5 as well). Yes..you can also set up to "push"..and there are apps you can install (K-9 or Touchdown) that are supposed to work much better..but as I said..it's not a big factor for me anymore so i've never tried them.

Bottom line is..it's a great platform..although not necessarily for everyone. The great thing is though..in todays world..if you get a new phone and don't like it..you can sell it for top dollar and get yourself something else..with perhaps only a little money lost (or perhaps gained..hard to say).
    DawgMan likes this.
    12-19-10 10:44 AM
    With the BB you have your theme, and you hop from screen to screen using that. You don't use that many apps from the marketplace. With the android, everything's a different app (email, gmail, txt, pix, maps...) so you put the apps on the homescreen and hop from app to app. It's a little different, and the menus vary between the apps, so you have to learn each one individually. That's what takes people awhile. It's not quite as uniform navigating apps. But once you get the hang of it it's sweet. It's all about the bigger screen, and the speed changing apps/screens. And about the app choices. And the superior browser. Makes BB look older.
    DawgMan likes this.
    12-20-10 01:47 PM
    First of all, I wish to thank all of you for your time to help me. When I looked at my question that was posted, I don't understand how that got there. I am going to post my true question, and see if it loads the question I want. As you already know, I have a family plan with Verizon. On that plan, I have two of the phones. I have an older Android and my second phone is a BB bold 9650. I purchased three new phones (ALL UNLOCKED 1. Motorola Droid 2 Global. 2. BB Storm 2 9550. 3. BB Bold 9550 ). They are all supposedly global capable, which is what I am looking for. I love blackberries and Androids. I will try to explain my goal from beginning to end (So all of you helpful experts can understand the issue I am looking at a little easier). The two phones (in my part of the family plan is too soon for an upgrade which explains buying the phones outright). I wanted to switch the droid 2 Global with my older Android, I obviously did't do my homework well because, as I have mentioned I purchased both BB Storm2 9550 and Bold 9780 (one of those) to replace my Bold 9650. (by the way this is where I am sure I will be getting a lot of feedback from many of you. I welcome all feedback with the goal of being productive). Many of you asked why I purchased two BB? I originally wanted to get The first choice was to replace Bold for supposedly a Torch 9800. From everything I read, this phone is not CDMA capable. I really would like this phone, however I am under contract for 18 more moths with Verizon. You all know I purchase UNLOCK Versions (I will tell you why a little down the line). Those of you who have ideas (especially with it being locked. This part is for those who are un aware of this fact. Verizon will activate an unlock phone if Verizon is the phone carrier. In other words, when Apple's iPhone did not have an agreement with Verizon, they would not activate a n unlocked iPhone, unless you had a super good friend that would somehow manipulate the database by activating your unlocked iPhone and putting it in the system as another phone. I put that part in, I don't even know if you had a personal friend that worked in the store). So I purchased bb Bold 9550 thinking since the 9650 was utilized by Verizon, that they would soon allow the 9780. Not looking at the specs, before purchasing the phone, the 9780 (unlocked) will not work on CDMA. So that is when I purchased the Storm 2 9550 (Unlocked). It is CDMA capable and I spoke with Verizon and they did say that they would activate it. ( I am so anxious to give it about 5 - 6 hours and read all of the feedback from the experts ). So to summarize so far. I am to early into my contract to get an early upgrade, so if I wanted different phones, I had to purchase them. I have an Android and Bold 9650. I want to change droid for droid/BB for BB. Now the reason for purchasing Global and unlocked ( I believe the sharp ones of you already figured it out ). I don't go out of the country a lot, however if and when I do, I would like to have the opportunity to utilize my cell phones. I don't need the ability to have the ability to talk to people back in the States (unless it is for business) however instead of paying crazy fees for Internet service in the hotel rooms (anywhere from 12.95 - 30.00 USD per day and some hotels charge by the hour) I would like the ability to have a data plan. This area I need the most help EXPERTS! With a Verizon Global capable phone, there is an area inside of the phone to install a SIM card. If you are anywhere in the 48 States, you do not need a SIM card for your phone to work properly. However different countries around the world operate under different networks. GSM supposedly is one of the most popular overseas to my knowledge. OK EXPERTS, I am planning a trip to Rome, Italy for a week in the last part of February, 2011. That is why I am trying to find out the answers. I know I will get many different opinions, however every productive one counts. Going overseas, requires you to install a SIM card. Verizon says you must utilize their Verizon SIM. I would like to know, (from the EXPERTS), can I find out which SIM cards are capable in the Italy area that sell plans with Voice and Data. Now the big question, can I install any one of these European SIM cards? My main question, will the phone work and is there any way that either: 1) The phones have the technology to store the information that you utilized a non-Verizon SIM overseas? 2)With the current technology, after installing a european SIM, assuming it works and everything is fine, Assuming the people that build these phones anticipate the users doing this, can a signal be sent back to Verizon? See once you get there (Rome) you can be in the middle of the city, you are now Roaming. In the States, Verizon's agreement is you can call anyone on your plan or any Verizon subscriber and not utilize your minutes, not the case overseas. You are roaming. Don't quote me on the prices. I believe that with the Verizon SIM, roaming is over a dollar a minute. I have seen European SIM cars with rates as low as $.30 minute. Can you see why Verizon wants you to keep their product in your phone? I need your help now people. If you don't know the answer, but you have a friend you think might know, can you ask him/her and please get back with me. This is why I love this Forum, people give their time to help others. Thank You to all!
    01-13-11 01:07 PM
    First of all, I wish to thank all of you for your time to help me. When I looked at my question that was posted, I don't understand how that got there. I am going to post my true question, and see if it loads the question I want. As you already know, I have a family plan with Verizon. On that plan, I have two of the phones. I have an older Android and my second phone is a BB bold 9650. I purchased three new phones (ALL UNLOCKED 1. Motorola Droid 2 Global. 2. BB Storm 2 9550. 3. BB Bold 9550 ). They are all supposedly global capable, which is what I am looking for. I love blackberries and Androids. I will try to explain my goal from beginning to end (So all of you helpful experts can understand the issue I am looking at a little easier). The two phones (in my part of the family plan is too soon for an upgrade which explains buying the phones outright). I wanted to switch the droid 2 Global with my older Android, I obviously did't do my homework well because, as I have mentioned I purchased both BB Storm2 9550 and Bold 9780 (one of those) to replace my Bold 9650. (by the way this is where I am sure I will be getting a lot of feedback from many of you. I welcome all feedback with the goal of being productive). Many of you asked why I purchased two BB? I originally wanted to get The first choice was to replace Bold for supposedly a Torch 9800. From everything I read, this phone is not CDMA capable. I really would like this phone, however I am under contract for 18 more moths with Verizon. You all know I purchase UNLOCK Versions (I will tell you why a little down the line). Those of you who have ideas (especially with it being locked. This part is for those who are un aware of this fact. Verizon will activate an unlock phone if Verizon is the phone carrier. In other words, when Apple's iPhone did not have an agreement with Verizon, they would not activate a n unlocked iPhone, unless you had a super good friend that would somehow manipulate the database by activating your unlocked iPhone and putting it in the system as another phone. I put that part in, I don't even know if you had a personal friend that worked in the store). So I purchased bb Bold 9550 thinking since the 9650 was utilized by Verizon, that they would soon allow the 9780. Not looking at the specs, before purchasing the phone, the 9780 (unlocked) will not work on CDMA. So that is when I purchased the Storm 2 9550 (Unlocked). It is CDMA capable and I spoke with Verizon and they did say that they would activate it. ( I am so anxious to give it about 5 - 6 hours and read all of the feedback from the experts ). So to summarize so far. I am to early into my contract to get an early upgrade, so if I wanted different phones, I had to purchase them. I have an Android and Bold 9650. I want to change droid for droid/BB for BB. Now the reason for purchasing Global and unlocked ( I believe the sharp ones of you already figured it out ). I don't go out of the country a lot, however if and when I do, I would like to have the opportunity to utilize my cell phones. I don't need the ability to have the ability to talk to people back in the States (unless it is for business) however instead of paying crazy fees for Internet service in the hotel rooms (anywhere from 12.95 - 30.00 USD per day and some hotels charge by the hour) I would like the ability to have a data plan. This area I need the most help EXPERTS! With a Verizon Global capable phone, there is an area inside of the phone to install a SIM card. If you are anywhere in the 48 States, you do not need a SIM card for your phone to work properly. However different countries around the world operate under different networks. GSM supposedly is one of the most popular overseas to my knowledge. OK EXPERTS, I am planning a trip to Rome, Italy for a week in the last part of February, 2011. That is why I am trying to find out the answers. I know I will get many different opinions, however every productive one counts. Going overseas, requires you to install a SIM card. Verizon says you must utilize their Verizon SIM. I would like to know, (from the EXPERTS), can I find out which SIM cards are capable in the Italy area that sell plans with Voice and Data. Now the big question, can I install any one of these European SIM cards? My main question, will the phone work and is there any way that either: 1) The phones have the technology to store the information that you utilized a non-Verizon SIM overseas? 2)With the current technology, after installing a european SIM, assuming it works and everything is fine, Assuming the people that build these phones anticipate the users doing this, can a signal be sent back to Verizon? See once you get there (Rome) you can be in the middle of the city, you are now Roaming. In the States, Verizon's agreement is you can call anyone on your plan or any Verizon subscriber and not utilize your minutes, not the case overseas. You are roaming. Don't quote me on the prices. I believe that with the Verizon SIM, roaming is over a dollar a minute. I have seen European SIM cars with rates as low as $.30 minute. Can you see why Verizon wants you to keep their product in your phone? I need your help now people. If you don't know the answer, but you have a friend you think might know, can you ask him/her and please get back with me. This is why I love this Forum, people give their time to help others. Thank You to all!
    Wow.....no offense but just looking at all that gave me a headache lol.

Maybe you should edit it and separate it to make it easier to read.
    01-13-11 01:15 PM
    OMG, wall of text!

Please break your post into some readable paragraphs.
    01-13-11 01:16 PM
    That question is out of my scope. Someone will know though......
    01-13-11 01:17 PM
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-13-11 05:51 PM
    Thanks for this thread. I'm researching Androids too. Good info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 06:01 PM
    I'm pretty sure what I got out of your wall of text is that your wondering if a European SIM card will work in an unlocked phone..and if Verizon will have any way of knowing this.

To the best of my knowledge..YES..you can use ANY sim card in an unlocked phone (especially if it's Global). This will allow you to buy minutes and data on whichever carrier supplies you the SIM card.

Will Verizon know if you've done this? I don't see how they could..or why they'd care. Even if they could notice you had used up more data on your phone..it wouldn't have gone thru their bandwith..thus they can't really do anything about it. It'd be like buying an AT&T phone..using it with Verizon..then going back to AT&T and them trying to charge you for data you used with another carrier. Wouldnt happen.

Maybe i'm way off base here because I'm no expert..but hopefully this will help with your question (or what I could gather from it anyways)

EDIT: +1 to TheGenecyst. That's too funny
    ThaGeNeCySt likes this.
    01-13-11 06:06 PM
    First of all, I wish to thank all of you for your time to help me. When I looked at my question that was posted, I don't understand how that got there. I am going to post my true question, and see if it loads the question I want. As you already know, I have a family plan with Verizon. On that plan, I have two of the phones. I have an older Android and my second phone is a BB bold 9650.

I purchased three new phones (ALL UNLOCKED 1. Motorola Droid 2 Global. 2. BB Storm 2 9550. 3. BB Bold 9550 ). They are all supposedly global capable, which is what I am looking for. I love blackberries and Androids. I will try to explain my goal from beginning to end (So all of you helpful experts can understand the issue I am looking at a little easier). The two phones (in my part of the family plan is too soon for an upgrade which explains buying the phones outright).

I wanted to switch the droid 2 Global with my older Android, I obviously did't do my homework well because, as I have mentioned I purchased both BB Storm2 9550 and Bold 9780 (one of those) to replace my Bold 9650. (by the way this is where I am sure I will be getting a lot of feedback from many of you. I welcome all feedback with the goal of being productive). Many of you asked why I purchased two BB? I originally wanted to get The first choice was to replace Bold for supposedly a Torch 9800.

From everything I read, this phone is not CDMA capable. I really would like this phone, however I am under contract for 18 more moths with Verizon. You all know I purchase UNLOCK Versions (I will tell you why a little down the line). Those of you who have ideas (especially with it being locked. This part is for those who are un aware of this fact. Verizon will activate an unlock phone if Verizon is the phone carrier. In other words, when Apple's iPhone did not have an agreement with Verizon, they would not activate a n unlocked iPhone, unless you had a super good friend that would somehow manipulate the database by activating your unlocked iPhone and putting it in the system as another phone. I put that part in, I don't even know if you had a personal friend that worked in the store).

So I purchased bb Bold 9550 thinking since the 9650 was utilized by Verizon, that they would soon allow the 9780. Not looking at the specs, before purchasing the phone, the 9780 (unlocked) will not work on CDMA. So that is when I purchased the Storm 2 9550 (Unlocked). It is CDMA capable and I spoke with Verizon and they did say that they would activate it. ( I am so anxious to give it about 5 - 6 hours and read all of the feedback from the experts ).

So to summarize so far. I am to early into my contract to get an early upgrade, so if I wanted different phones, I had to purchase them. I have an Android and Bold 9650. I want to change droid for droid/BB for BB. Now the reason for purchasing Global and unlocked ( I believe the sharp ones of you already figured it out ). I don't go out of the country a lot, however if and when I do, I would like to have the opportunity to utilize my cell phones. I don't need the ability to have the ability to talk to people back in the States (unless it is for business) however instead of paying crazy fees for Internet service in the hotel rooms (anywhere from 12.95 - 30.00 USD per day and some hotels charge by the hour) I would like the ability to have a data plan.

This area I need the most help EXPERTS! With a Verizon Global capable phone, there is an area inside of the phone to install a SIM card. If you are anywhere in the 48 States, you do not need a SIM card for your phone to work properly. However different countries around the world operate under different networks. GSM supposedly is one of the most popular overseas to my knowledge.

OK EXPERTS, I am planning a trip to Rome, Italy for a week in the last part of February, 2011. That is why I am trying to find out the answers. I know I will get many different opinions, however every productive one counts. Going overseas, requires you to install a SIM card. Verizon says you must utilize their Verizon SIM.

I would like to know, (from the EXPERTS), can I find out which SIM cards are capable in the Italy area that sell plans with Voice and Data. Now the big question, can I install any one of these European SIM cards? My main question, will the phone work and is there any way that either: 1) The phones have the technology to store the information that you utilized a non-Verizon SIM overseas? 2)With the current technology, after installing a european SIM, assuming it works and everything is fine, Assuming the people that build these phones anticipate the users doing this, can a signal be sent back to Verizon?

See once you get there (Rome) you can be in the middle of the city, you are now Roaming. In the States, Verizon's agreement is you can call anyone on your plan or any Verizon subscriber and not utilize your minutes, not the case overseas. You are roaming. Don't quote me on the prices. I believe that with the Verizon SIM, roaming is over a dollar a minute. I have seen European SIM cars with rates as low as $.30 minute.

Can you see why Verizon wants you to keep their product in your phone? I need your help now people. If you don't know the answer, but you have a friend you think might know, can you ask him/her and please get back with me. This is why I love this Forum, people give their time to help others. Thank You to all!
    EXPERT!

10char
    01-13-11 08:41 PM
    EXPERT!

10char
    I go on to these sites to look for help as we all do. I do it because I have a wife and child. I don't spend all of my time like you on every thread making smart *** comments like Experts. You know what, When I wrote all of my issues for the answer from mature people, who gave me mature answers. I don't need a computer punk like you making immature remarks. Why don't you grow up, get a girlfriend and laugh at all of the time you wasted on the computer judging people.
    01-13-11 09:45 PM
    Got paragraphs? My head exploded
    01-13-11 09:47 PM
    I go on to these sites to look for help as we all do. I do it because I have a wife and child. I don't spend all of my time like you on every thread making smart *** comments like Experts. You know what, When I wrote all of my issues for the answer from mature people, who gave me mature answers. I don't need a computer punk like you making immature remarks. Why don't you grow up, get a girlfriend and laugh at all of the time you wasted on the computer judging people.
    Lighten up bud

I give helpful responses most of the time. Click my name and you'll see I'm no 'punk'. I was making a light hearted joke while bothering to take the time to format your wall of text so others, who may not otherwise bother to read it, may take the time to help you.

Cheers
    Blkbear likes this.
    01-13-11 10:07 PM
    I've been having keypad problems with my Bold 9780, and a series of defective replacements have led me to accept T-Mobile's offer of a Moto Defy, instead of another 9780. I'm not entirely thrilled about this, but I'm keeping an open mind and will try to get the best possible experience from this device.

And yes, I know that the Defy is not a "high end" Android phone. I'm not looking for comments that I really should get a phone with better specs. But I'd like some help with getting the most out of this phone.

1. Battery life is a concern. I take my BB off the charger at 6:00 am, and put it back on the charger at 10:00 pm or so, most days. My goal is to be able to do the same with the Defy, without having to recharge during the day. I typically do a lot of email, some browsing, some Kindle, IM, etc. What are the most obvious things I should to to get this kind of battery life on the Defy? Or is it too much to expect? There's a lot of conflicting info out there. Some say to get task killer apps; others say they hurt more than they help; others say they're only needed on 2.1 and earlier (the Defy ships with 2.1). So what's up with that?

2. Motoblur doesn't look like something I need or want. I don't think I can uninstall it, but can I somehow just ignore it and minimize its presence?

3. I read a lot about various "launcher" apps. Are these comparable to BB "themes" in that they basically present a different UI?

4. Since I do a lot of email, I'll be checking into email apps. Do these replace the native email app, or integrate with it? Is the idea to not register an account with the native app at all and just use the add-on?

5. Should I have started a new thread for this? I do want to ask the experts but maybe this is the wrong place.
    01-14-11 08:48 AM
    I've been having keypad problems with my Bold 9780, and a series of defective replacements have led me to accept T-Mobile's offer of a Moto Defy, instead of another 9780. I'm not entirely thrilled about this, but I'm keeping an open mind and will try to get the best possible experience from this device.

And yes, I know that the Defy is not a "high end" Android phone. I'm not looking for comments that I really should get a phone with better specs. But I'd like some help with getting the most out of this phone.

1. Battery life is a concern. I take my BB off the charger at 6:00 am, and put it back on the charger at 10:00 pm or so, most days. My goal is to be able to do the same with the Defy, without having to recharge during the day. I typically do a lot of email, some browsing, some Kindle, IM, etc. What are the most obvious things I should to to get this kind of battery life on the Defy? Or is it too much to expect? There's a lot of conflicting info out there. Some say to get task killer apps; others say they hurt more than they help; others say they're only needed on 2.1 and earlier (the Defy ships with 2.1). So what's up with that?
    I can't comment on this as I have no experience with the Defy. You can look into getting an app called Juice Defender.. it has tweaks that either shutdown or lower power consumption when certain conditions are met.

2. Motoblur doesn't look like something I need or want. I don't think I can uninstall it, but can I somehow just ignore it and minimize its presence?
    I think the best you can do is install a new Launcher (like ADW or Launcher Pro)

3. I read a lot about various "launcher" apps. Are these comparable to BB "themes" in that they basically present a different UI?
    Sort of, but they more or less mimic a "stock" look and feel with added tweaks and features (change the amount of rows, columns, homescreens, animations - ADW EX feature, themed dock bars, etc)
    4. Since I do a lot of email, I'll be checking into email apps. Do these replace the native email app, or integrate with it? Is the idea to not register an account with the native app at all and just use the add-on?
    You can use K9 or Touchdown or the default email app, they don't "replace" the stock email. You'll just have your regular "GMAIL" icon, and then the "EMAIL" icon with your nongmail accounts that are sync'd (either through Push, Pull, etc)
    5. Should I have started a new thread for this? I do want to ask the experts but maybe this is the wrong place.
    Right place.. I'm sure others will see this and comment on it and correct me if I've given any false info
    01-14-11 10:29 AM

Check out the XDA Forums specific for your phone. It's a great site with alot of useful information. Beware though..there is alot of "geek speak" as well..with alot of information about rooting, ROMs, etc that may or may not interest you.

Defy General - xda-developers

As far as Task Killers go..i'd avoid them altogether. Battery life concern is typical on almost any phone nowadays (even the Torch) so always make sure you have WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS turned off. Make sure any apps that pull data (such as FB or Twitter) aren't set to pull data constantly. If your screen brightness is high..dim it as much as you can. These are basics..and i'm sure you'll find more tips and tricks over at XDA
    01-14-11 10:41 AM
    If you do use a 3rd party launcher like ADW, Launcher Pro, or Go, make sure you remove all widgets from your stock homescreens because they will continue to run and use battery resources in the background. You can use the Home Switcher app in the Market to switch between launchers to check on this.
    01-14-11 12:14 PM
    Check out the XDA Forums specific for your phone. It's a great site with alot of useful information. Beware though..there is alot of "geek speak" as well..with alot of information about rooting, ROMs, etc that may or may not interest you.

Defy General - xda-developers

As far as Task Killers go..i'd avoid them altogether. Battery life concern is typical on almost any phone nowadays (even the Torch) so always make sure you have WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS turned off. Make sure any apps that pull data (such as FB or Twitter) aren't set to pull data constantly. If your screen brightness is high..dim it as much as you can. These are basics..and i'm sure you'll find more tips and tricks over at XDA
    Thank you. As far as rooting and ROMs are concerned, I'll wait until I'm thoroughly familiar with the device, and have a sense of whether I like it, before drilling into that stuff. Until then, I'll try more conventional things, like what you've mentioned, and maybe a launcher app of some sort.

What is the main advantage of an email app over the built-in Gmail and email (non-Gmail) clients? Is it mainly push, or is there more to it?

Thanks for the help, folks.
    01-14-11 01:51 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD