Since August my BB Torch has been ready for upgrade. I have an iPhone 4 on a separate contract. I'm stuck between getting my Torch upgraded to a iPhone 5 (2 iPhones?), Note 2 or waiting it out for a BB10. Maybe even the Nokia Lumia.

So I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons of each, minus BB10 since it's not out yet.

Edit: The iPhone 4 I have is ready to upgrade in January.
    Last edited by thebbnoob; 11-20-12 at 04:54 AM.
    11-19-12 05:41 AM
    The only thing I don't like is Verizon not having it available yet. Pissin me off! Nov 29th cant get here soon enough if that's even the real release date. Argh!
    11-19-12 01:01 PM
    If the Galaxy S3 or LG Optimus G or Nexus 4 aren't available options to you, definitely go for the Note 2. I tried one at a local AT&T store and, though outstanding in style and design and such, it wasn't as smooth as my Galaxy S3. The Optimus G, however, was the smoothest and fastest phone I ever handled. The GS3 will certainly be the better one, though. Apple needs to get on the ball with innovation and significantly change the 6-year-old iOS software the iPhones currently use. One thing you'll have with a GS3 that you wouldn't with the iPhone is world-class, reliable and outstanding turn-by-turn voice guided navigation. I know this from deep experience on my GS3.
    11-19-12 02:08 PM
    Oh nice. So does the GS3 have things the Note 2 doesn't have? When I tried Note 1 in the store (before Note 2 was released), I was told Note 2 would have all the same things, and hardware, along with the pen and stuff. If I didn't have an iPhone 4 already on a separate contract (due for upgrade in Spring or Summer I think), I'd probably get the 5... but to have 2 iPhones and the changes aren't that huge seems like a waste of an upgrade. There's so many phones to choose from now, that I'm indecisive. I've waited so long for the BB10, I just don't wanna be let down when it finally gets released. Also how is the battery life on the GS3? My friend has a Nexus 4 and said it's just the same as the iPhone at a cheaper price.

Ah... I remember when all I had to choose from a Storm 1/2, Bold, and 3G/S.
    11-19-12 11:03 PM
    Oh nice. So does the GS3 have things the Note 2 doesn't have? When I tried Note 1 in the store (before Note 2 was released), I was told Note 2 would have all the same things, and hardware, along with the pen and stuff. If I didn't have an iPhone 4 already on a separate contract (due for upgrade in Spring or Summer I think), I'd probably get the 5... but to have 2 iPhones and the changes aren't that huge seems like a waste of an upgrade. There's so many phones to choose from now, that I'm indecisive. I've waited so long for the BB10, I just don't wanna be let down when it finally gets released. Also how is the battery life on the GS3? My friend has a Nexus 4 and said it's just the same as the iPhone at a cheaper price.
    If what I have read about the JB update for the GS3 is true, the Note 2 won't have much at all more than the GS3. One thing that has set the Note apart from the GS3 is the multi-window function. With JB for the GS3, multi-window functionality will be included.

If I had an upgrade available right now and had $200 to spend on one, I'd choose the Optimus G. That thing is one fantastic super phone. But that's just me. I can't put the Optimus G about the GS3 for a recommendation because I know what the GS3 can do and how reliable and overwhelmingly stuffed-to-the-gills with features it is. All I know of the Optimus G is how smooth and fast it is from playing with one in-store. The OG is also one of the most beautiful phones around - to me, that is. But one huge advantage with the GS3 is its vast numbers sold. That will make a significant difference in available accessories and modding support.

Ah... I remember when all I had to choose from a Storm 1/2, Bold, and 3G/S.
    Yeah, isn't it something? So many purely stellar choices we have these days. I remember back before the iPhone first released. All we had were low-quality, buggy and unreliable choices.
    11-19-12 11:22 PM
    If I were you, I'd get the Lumia. Windows 8 looks great. It looks a lot like BB10. Galaxy note 2 is just way too ridiculously big for me. I feel like if I sit in a wrong position, I'd break it in my pants. Also, S-Pen is great, but It has a steep learning curve.
    11-19-12 11:29 PM
    Oh, so the Samsung Galaxy 3 and Note 2 will pretty much be the same then, except in size and a few minor differences (GS3 may be smoother from what you've told me too). If I decided to get one of the more expensive phones, I'd probably be getting them at a slightly cheaper contract price. I know one of the managers of the store, so he may be able to sort me out (probably the same price as I'm paying for Torch now, or a tad cheaper). I've never used an Android properly before, so this would be a new experience for me. Nokia wasn't even a consideration for me until lately, I thought they were still doing bad and wasn't aware of their newer phones. I used the Nokia E7, and that phone didn't do very well, it also has a lot of bugs and problems with it, from that I just never bothered looking into them again. I just had a look at the Optimus G, it looks really good too. The S-Pen seems quite good also, I could probably have use in that for days where I can't be bothered to use a notepad haha.

I'm trying to figure out what the iPhone has, that these others don't. I can only think of the ease of use, and a few apps that have more options. I'm considering getting an iPad/Macbook Pro, which would be useful as they can sync together, but the price charged for these are ridiculous. I still have use for BBM, and the emailing system on BlackBerry. Those 2 are probably my main features. There's other little things like BBM status updates through apps (e.g. Twitter), but I can live without those, they shouldn't really be a selling point in the phone.
    11-20-12 05:00 AM
    FWIW - There are going to be some great SGS3 specials on Black Friday. I've heard some carriers will have it free on upgrade, but I don't know if that's just a rumor.
    11-21-12 02:50 PM
    I was thinking of Black Friday too, but I'm currently in Europe again. Wouldn't that be a hassle to use? Or is it just a simple unlocking of the phone?
    11-22-12 02:23 AM