TV just reported (G4 TV I think) reported that the Droid X has an anti hacking feature that causes a hardware fault (they said Blow a Fuse??) that the vendor needs to fix for a hefty fee. It was a short teaser so they were short on facts but said specifically this was to deter hacking the device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-10 11:34 PM
    That's the efuse...but what it does is if someone tries to flash things to the X, it will reboot into recovery and wait for official software...it will not brick phone. Just a tight security measure.
    07-16-10 11:38 PM
    I was getting yet another replacement tour set up and of course there was an issue (ordered the Droid X today because I am sick of the problems with the tour's software). While waiting for the fix to run I had a long talk with the tech rep about the X because I was considering it. He said it is a great phone but confirmed that if you do hack it Motorola put a process in place that the phone will not be able to be used without paying for a fix to avoid people hacking it.
    07-17-10 09:22 AM
    What olta said:
    Motorola responds to Droid X bootloader controversy, says eFuse isn't there to break the phone -- Engadget

I can't imagine that the tech rep was talking out of his a**.
    07-17-10 09:50 AM
    DX don't go BOOM!
    07-17-10 10:47 AM
    DX don't go BOOM!
    Motorola�s primary focus is the security of our end users and protection of their data, while also meeting carrier, partner and legal requirements. The Droid X and a majority of Android consumer devices on the market today have a secured bootloader. In reference specifically to eFuse, the technology is not loaded with the purpose of preventing a consumer device from functioning, but rather ensuring for the user that the device only runs on updated and tested versions of software. If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed. Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats. Motorola has been a long time advocate of open platforms and provides a number of resources to developers to foster the ecosystem including tools and access to devices via MOTODEV at http://developer.motorola.com.
    directly from Moto.

still i will never buy a moto phone if this is the case, android is an open platform, created as an open platform and should stay that way.
    07-17-10 01:01 PM
    directly from Moto.

still i will never buy a moto phone if this is the case, android is an open platform, created as an open platform and should stay that way.
    I said the same the other day, but then just bought the X to decide if I like it without root. I will keep it for my trial period but that's probably it. I would like the Fascinate, but Verizon is waiting too long to release it. If it is out by the end of the summer I may still be tempted. Until then, I will just look for upcoming LTE devices.

For those who do not want root though, the Droid X is awesome. I am very impressed by this device.
    07-17-10 01:05 PM
    Mine just blew up. A warning to everyone.
    07-17-10 02:06 PM
    Mine just blew up. A warning to everyone.
    Details? Lol
    07-17-10 02:31 PM
    DROID X does whatever it wants...
    07-17-10 03:46 PM
    the phone doesn't blow up, it shuts down when unapproved software is attempted to be loaded up. It can be "unbricked" by loading the approved software from Motorola.
    07-19-10 10:16 AM
    So basically if you don't mod the bootloader on a custom os then it should install no problem? Efuse has got to be one of the worst chosen names by the way, people know fuses as things that make something work and get scared.
    07-20-10 03:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD