View Poll Results: Are you leaving for the EVO and at&t's new plans are fueling your decision even more?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely!

11 31.43%
  • I'm not getting an EVO but bye bye at&t!

2 5.71%
  • No, I'm staying with at&t!

4 11.43%
  • I already have a carrier that I'm happy with.

18 51.43%
    I sure as **** am. 2GB for 25 bucks a month and 10 a gig after that?! Seriously?! at&t - you've been good for me since February... but I think its time we part ways between the increased ETF and now this crap.

We need some serious wireless competition in the US... I really hope the FCC steps in and starts making Big Red and Big Blue spin off markets...
    06-02-10 02:40 AM
    That sounds like a huge rip off. I am glad I am not with AT&T, I guess that's the power they have for being the only carrier with the I-Phone.
    06-02-10 02:47 AM
    Well they ARE grandfathering those who currently have 30 dollar unlimited data - but guarantee you that if you switch to a new phone, they'll make you drop it. Example - BlackBerry to ANYTHING else.

Kind of crappy too since I found out that at&t is getting 5 Android sets before the year is out.
    06-02-10 02:48 AM
    2 GB for $25 isn't that bad lol. Take a look at Canadian carriers. They rape you with prices. And to top it off, they have 3 year contracts. Every carrier is going to start doing this.
    06-02-10 03:50 AM
    so there wont be no $30 for unltd data?
    06-02-10 04:51 AM
    Nope. Won't be an option after June 7 is what the blog are saying.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-10 06:23 AM
    Not only will there no longer be an unlimited option but if you're grandfathered (meaning you already have it) and you switch phones, you lose your data plan - especially if you move from a Berry or an iPhone to anything else.
    06-02-10 06:45 AM
    This is the future of how wireless carriers will be competing with one another and making their profit. Profit and revenue isn't in the voice sector of their products; it's in the data usage of it.

Wireless providers will be more than happy to throw all the minutes you want and subsidize the h*ll out of their phones; but they're recognizing that they'd be undermining the HUGE profit potential if they don't charge for data usage in a structured manner.

As a consumer; my innate reaction is to frown on this..but you know what; I don't mind if wireless providers start charging a little more for their data usage..because it'll breed competition and will (hopefully) provide added revenue for the providers to invest in even greater infrastructure to provide faster/plentiful data access.

P.S. If I was an AT&T customer; I'd be very disappointed in the FACT that they don't nearly invest as much as they can in their data network as other wireless providers do..they're very lax about it. Look at their data network in the San Francisco and NYC area for example..the iPhone has been out for 4-5 years now; and users STILL fall on deaf ears when they complain to AT&T.
    Last edited by HandsomePrince; 06-02-10 at 09:44 AM.
    06-02-10 09:39 AM
    It's only a matter of time before VZW follows in lockstep
    06-02-10 10:11 AM
    I sure as **** am. 2GB for 25 bucks a month and 10 a gig after that?! Seriously?! at&t - you've been good for me since February... but I think its time we part ways between the increased ETF and now this crap.

We need some serious wireless competition in the US... I really hope the FCC steps in and starts making Big Red and Big Blue spin off markets...

bro unless your tethering with your phone 24/7 2gb is more then enough.. **** me on my 8330 with heavy use has never benn over 600,00 kilobytes..
    06-02-10 10:51 AM
    AT&T could have been just a tad bit more sensible, i mean 15$ for 200mb is just to little of data, they should have at least upped it to 500mb. oh well im pretty sure there is going to be plenty of unhappy folk out there.
    06-02-10 11:15 AM
    I agree; but if they are smart they won't
    06-02-10 11:47 AM
    bro unless your tethering with your phone 24/7 2gb is more then enough.. **** me on my 8330 with heavy use has never benn over 600,00 kilobytes..
    Thats because you're using a BlackBerry, Plain and simple.

RIM has been marketing the crap out of how they "conserve" and use data "economically".
    06-02-10 11:51 AM
    Another thought is; AT&T may be making the change to discourage iphone users
    from jamming up their network.
    VZ did mention that it would be or could be in the future when they go 4G but
    with AT&T unclog the network. Just random thought
    06-02-10 11:53 AM
    Verizon already announced (couple of days ago), their going to tiered data plans once they open up their LTE spectrum.

06-02-10 12:26 PM
    I am hoping and praying that I get good service on Sprint because the fact that
    I'm getting 27% off my monthly bill on a $79.99 plan would make me feel even so
    much better with AT&T's tiered data rates.
    06-02-10 01:00 PM
    ...& to think I was ACTUALLY complaining about $10 extra for the EvO plan....smh. SPRINT FOR LIFE! (Unless, they join in on tiered data too, lol)
    06-02-10 01:48 PM
    Bad as it seems, can people really hit those caps?
    06-02-10 01:55 PM
    I think the majority of AT&T customers will be happy because most of the users are light users as AT&T claims so they'll save $15 off of their bill. EVO owners will have to add an additional $10 to their bill whether they have 4G or not.

So I think the only people on AT&T who will be upset are the heavy users.
    06-02-10 02:00 PM
    Here is a suggestion. Call your carrier and see how much data u are averaging.
    06-02-10 02:05 PM
    Anyone who has the $30 a month unlimited plan will keep the plan even if they go to a new phone, like the 4G iPhone. The problem they have is that they won't be able to tether through AT&T, unless they go to the 2GB plan. Sprint is the way to go for me and has been for the past 7 years. I average almost 3GB of data a month on my phone alone and my girlfriend is good for another 500MB. That would make my data plan start touching on $45 dollars a month.

And the 4G thing on the Evo, if you call and complain about it, they will credit you the $10 a month if you aren't in a 4G coverage area. So my monthly bill will go up to $110 a month for 3 phones with unlimited data. I can deal.
    06-02-10 02:05 PM
    Anyone who has the $30 a month unlimited plan will keep the plan even if they go to a new phone, like the 4G iPhone. The problem they have is that they won't be able to tether through AT&T, unless they go to the 2GB plan. Sprint is the way to go for me and has been for the past 7 years. I average almost 3GB of data a month on my phone alone and my girlfriend is good for another 500MB. That would make my data plan start touching on $45 dollars a month.

And the 4G thing on the Evo, if you call and complain about it, they will credit you the $10 a month if you aren't in a 4G coverage area. So my monthly bill will go up to $110 a month for 3 phones with unlimited data. I can deal.

don't forget the $20 surcharge to allow tethering.
    06-02-10 02:07 PM
    don't forget the $20 surcharge to allow tethering.
    Oh yes, I did forget about that little tidbit of info. So that would be $65 a month. That is coming dangerously close to what I pay for all of my service on 3 phones.
    06-02-10 02:22 PM
    Yes, but at least it will be a reliable network. At&t sucks and everyone knows it....
    06-02-10 02:30 PM
    I think the majority of AT&T customers will be happy because most of the users are light users as AT&T claims so they'll save $15 off of their bill. EVO owners will have to add an additional $10 to their bill whether they have 4G or not.

So I think the only people on AT&T who will be upset are the heavy users.
    True, but that $10 REMOVES the data cap altogether on 3G & 4G...SPRINT FTW!
    06-02-10 02:54 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD