Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Wondering who will switch from BB to the Droid Pro

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blackberry

    9 45.00%
  • Droid Pro

    11 55.00%
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. theonlychoman's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Any jumping ship from BB to Motorola's Droid Pro?

    Wondering if BB users here will be jumping ship, and switching to the Droid Pro.
    Palm Treo -> BB Pearl 8100 -> BB Curve 8330 -> BB Tour 9630 -> BB Bold 9650 -> Droid Pro (w/ 2.2) -> TBD (Big Red's LTE device when available)

    Gotta love my toys...
  2. loki993's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    I really thought about it and I went and checked one out today and I think ill stay, or switch away from a physical keyboard completely.

    First off I didn't like the screen, the resolution is low, even lower than my Bold, and it just didn't look very good. I know its meant to be a business phone, but they have to know there are those of us that want something in between too. Poor effort if you ask me, maybe they had their reasons.

    The keyboard is nice, but its a bit smaller than the BB keyboard. Nothing that couldn't be gotten used to in a little while, that's not a big deal. The screen was a the deal breaker for me.

    I looked at the X and the 2 and those looked sooo much better.

    Strangely enough I came out of the store liking the X the best. I went in thinking it would be way too big, but its really not that much bigger than my BB with a case on it and its thin. Much nicer then the EVO 4G my friend had, the X makes it look like a brick in comparison.
  3. lssanjose's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,153 Posts
    PIN
    lssanjose@gmail.com (Google Talk)
    #3  

    Default

    Another vote for the X. It is the best Droid Verizon has out right now, IMRHO.
    I will never understand these "help me to decide" threads. Grow a pair, or put on your big girl panties (whichever applies), and make the decision that works best for you. - AmazinglyGraceless.
  4. K Bear's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,275 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,336 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    If I moved to Verizon, I'd buy the Incredible over any of them in a heartbeat.
    (AT&T)Nokia 5110(2001)-->(Cingular)Nokia 6102i (2007)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Pearl 8120 (2008)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Bold 9700(2010)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2010)--> (Sprint) HTC Evo 4G White (2011)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2011)--> (AT&T) HTC Inspire 4G (2011)(AT&T)HTC Vivid (2012)-->(Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S III White
    ~K Bear~
  5. Damn_Smooth's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    474 Posts
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K Bear View Post
    If I moved to Verizon, I'd buy the Incredible over any of them in a heartbeat.
    I'm on verizon and I'll be keeping the Inc. over all of them. I'm thinking about a pro for my girlfriend though because for some reason I can't understand, she hates touchscreen keyboards. I am kind of jealous of your G2 though.
    Last edited by Damn_Smooth; 11-12-2010 at 09:54 PM.
  6. Strontium's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    412 Posts
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    PIN
    EAPPLE
    #6  

    Default

    I checked one out, today...

    The keyboard stinks. And, the numbers are all in one row at the top...
    This space for rent.
  7. Johnly's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,026 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,725 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Another vote for the X. It is the best Droid Verizon has out right now, IMRHO.
    The best out period.
  8. Smilee5's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    I might consider it. I'm due for an upgrade and I didn't want a touch keyboard or slider. This keyboard looks like the BB and is always available without having to slide it out. Seems to have the best of both so I'll consider it even though I'm a BB lover!
  9. Johnly's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,026 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,725 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smilee5 View Post
    I might consider it. I'm due for an upgrade and I didn't want a touch keyboard or slider. This keyboard looks like the BB and is always available without having to slide it out. Seems to have the best of both so I'll consider it even though I'm a BB lover!
    Actually, it is more like the old motorola Q. Good keyboard none the less.
  10. mrlee7's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    102 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    I would like to see a crackberry review of the android pro.

    I know crackberry doesn't usually do that, but I want to see a BB user critic the new android "for business".
  11. JRZLocal's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    365 Posts
    Global Posts
    434 Global Posts
    PIN
    do I know you?
    #11  

    Default

    If you travel for work and go overseas now you can get a android device. The droid pro is just another way to for android to try to take business customers from bb.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  12. dwaynewilliams#WN's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,437 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,893 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    I went to the Verizon store to check out the Pro and I left with a Droid 2. I liked this phone so much better because of the large and clear screen.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  13. KeithF40's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    608 Posts
    PIN
    30c095bd
    #13  

    Default

    here are my findings from playing with the pro in the store

    1. screen does not compare to the other droid screens, think bold actually has better one
    2. keyboard does not compare to the bold kb(smaller, less responsive)
    3. screen was very unresponsive to the tilts
    4. device did not have service for some reason

    plan on checking out the pro at another store(maybe just a dud device) and def with the service enabled

    was also second time I used the X and my gf(also has a bold) loved it and it kinda grew on me, if a bogo sale goes on for the droid x im all over it

    too bad we both dont have upgrades for a while(me about 9 months, her close to 2 yrs)

    ill repost my findings when i do on another droid pro

    the thing that bothered me about both devices were how noticable the fingerprints were when the screen had a black background, might take some getting used to/tweaking since i always have black backgrounds on my phones/computers
  14. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,819 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #14  

    Default

    Soooo, It didn't kill the blackberry after all. Android should stick at what it does best, large touch screen smart phones. Same goes for rim, stick to making qwerty smart phones.
  15. avt123's Avatar
    O.G.

    Posts
    12,164 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,347 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    I went to the Verizon store to check out the Pro and I left with a Droid 2. I liked this phone so much better because of the large and clear screen.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    lol you are back on Android again?

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    Soooo, It didn't kill the blackberry after all. Android should stick at what it does best, large touch screen smart phones. Same goes for rim, stick to making qwerty smart phones.
    What is there to kill? It has only been out a few days. This is competing against the VZW BB lineup, nothing else.
  16. KeithF40's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    608 Posts
    PIN
    30c095bd
    #16  

    Default

    well it can lure ppl from other carriers over that want a full keyboard android device that isnt a crappy slide out as i dont think there are any other non slider full keyboard android devices out there.

    of course att has the torch but that is a bb obv.




    yeah android is best on large touch screen devices and bb is best when it comes to full keyboards.



    side question: is the droid x the largest screen out there for a full touchscreen phone?
  17. cinaibur's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    I switched to verizon yesterday and picked up the droid 2 r2d2. Droid X is sweet but I couldn't give up the keyboard.
  18. avt123's Avatar
    O.G.

    Posts
    12,164 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,347 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithF40 View Post
    side question: is the droid x the largest screen out there for a full touchscreen phone?
    On VZW, yes. The largest screen on an Android phone is 5 inches and is on the Dell Streak. It is considered a smartphone/tablet hybrid.
  19. K Bear's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,275 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,336 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damn_Smooth View Post
    I'm on verizon and I'll be keeping the Inc. over all of them. I'm thinking about a pro for my girlfriend though because for some reason I can't understand, she hates touchscreen keyboards. I am kind of jealous of your G2 though.
    Don't worry, the HTC Merge will be just as good, if not better than the G2, especially if the rumors are true that it is being delayed for LTE.
    (AT&T)Nokia 5110(2001)-->(Cingular)Nokia 6102i (2007)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Pearl 8120 (2008)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Bold 9700(2010)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2010)--> (Sprint) HTC Evo 4G White (2011)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2011)--> (AT&T) HTC Inspire 4G (2011)(AT&T)HTC Vivid (2012)-->(Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S III White
    ~K Bear~
  20. K Bear's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,275 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,336 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithF40 View Post
    well it can lure ppl from other carriers over that want a full keyboard android device that isnt a crappy slide out as i dont think there are any other non slider full keyboard android devices out there.

    of course att has the torch but that is a bb obv.




    yeah android is best on large touch screen devices and bb is best when it comes to full keyboards.



    side question: is the droid x the largest screen out there for a full touchscreen phone?
    The G2 is not a slider and neither is its sister the Desire Z. They have a hinged keyboard.
    (AT&T)Nokia 5110(2001)-->(Cingular)Nokia 6102i (2007)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Pearl 8120 (2008)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Bold 9700(2010)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2010)--> (Sprint) HTC Evo 4G White (2011)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2011)--> (AT&T) HTC Inspire 4G (2011)(AT&T)HTC Vivid (2012)-->(Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S III White
    ~K Bear~
  21. avt123's Avatar
    O.G.

    Posts
    12,164 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,347 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K Bear View Post
    The G2 is not a slider and neither is its sister the Desire Z. They have a hinged keyboard.
    The majority of Android device with keyboards are sliders. The D2, D2 World, DR R2 version, Droid and Devour are all sliders. That's 5 alone on one carrier.

    Also, hinged keyboard to most= slider. Yes it is different, but to most, it looks the same. Anything that ressembles a Sidekick= slider to many people. We know the difference, but I highly doubt the average consumer does.
    Last edited by avt123; 11-13-2010 at 11:27 AM.
  22. zensen's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    666 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    I definitely wouldn't. All blackberry needs is some hardware upgrades to satisfy those who need more power but I'm not really fussed. Secondly I quite like the software that comes with BB to begin with.

    Also typing on the droid pro. I bet those capacitive buttons will get in the way of typing and I sure hope that never gets implemented on a BB in that way. Much prefer those important keys to be physical hardware buttons.
  23. lssanjose's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,153 Posts
    PIN
    lssanjose@gmail.com (Google Talk)
    #23  

    Default

    So, zensen, you haven't messed with it in person? It goes beyond simply making hardware upgrades. The BBOS needs to be made more developer friendly. I mean, ****, why does Fox News only put out an Android, and iPhone version of its app - Fox News of all companies? All BB users are relegated to, are browser launchers in more cases than actual apps. Is it because it's easier than writing a full-blown app?
    I will never understand these "help me to decide" threads. Grow a pair, or put on your big girl panties (whichever applies), and make the decision that works best for you. - AmazinglyGraceless.
  24. loki993's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strontium View Post
    I checked one out, today...

    The keyboard stinks. And, the numbers are all in one row at the top...
    I think they put the number on top to make it more like a regular keyboard. Since it has a touchscreen you can just dial on the screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by zensen View Post
    I definitely wouldn't. All blackberry needs is some hardware upgrades to satisfy those who need more power but I'm not really fussed. Secondly I quite like the software that comes with BB to begin with.

    Also typing on the droid pro. I bet those capacitive buttons will get in the way of typing and I sure hope that never gets implemented on a BB in that way. Much prefer those important keys to be physical hardware buttons.
    Problem is it seems BB/RIM isnt very willing to upgrade their hardware. I mean their newest flagship device is basically a hybird running with storm touchscreen and Bold hardware. I mean really, Moto will probally have a 1ghz dual core device out by spring.

    RIM seems to know it too, becasue its nearly impossible to find out the processor specs on the phones theyve been coming out with lately. Theyre definilty not releasing them.

    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    So, zensen, you haven't messed with it in person? It goes beyond simply making hardware upgrades. The BBOS needs to be made more developer friendly. I mean, ****, why does Fox News only put out an Android, and iPhone version of its app - Fox News of all companies? All BB users are relegated to, are browser launchers in more cases than actual apps. Is it because it's easier than writing a full-blown app?
    I refuse to use browser launchers. Just stuff to take up space and clutter my tray. I can open the browser just fine by myself and I know how to make a bookmark.
    Last edited by loki993; 11-15-2010 at 12:59 PM.
  25. lssanjose's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,153 Posts
    PIN
    lssanjose@gmail.com (Google Talk)
    #25  

    Default

    Do you find it insulting to some degree where app makers simply do something like that?
    I will never understand these "help me to decide" threads. Grow a pair, or put on your big girl panties (whichever applies), and make the decision that works best for you. - AmazinglyGraceless.

Posting Permissions