I went with my dad yesterday to see what phone he wanted to buy. He wanted to get rid of T-Mobile when his contract ended, but hearing the news that AT&T is buying them out, he wanted to jump ship now. So we were looking around the store at Sprint's selections, my dad had a hard time deciding which one to buy. I tried to show him the Blackberrys (9330 & 9650). He tried the keyboards and thought they were too small.

So we looked at the feature phones and Androids. My dad narrowed it down to the Transform and Optimus S. Unfortunately the store was sold out of the Transform so he opted for the Optimus S. So far he loves the device. I never thought I'd see the day when my 64 year old father would be using an Android device.
    03-27-11 02:43 PM
    Good for him! My parents use an iPhone which is a little simpler to use.

I'm working on converting a BlackBerry friend!
    03-27-11 02:48 PM

OMG you are the borg or a cult Just kidding guys.
    03-27-11 03:40 PM

See, that's my issue. I'm on the fence now because I hear from so many people that the iPhone is way simpler to use.

I really want to try Android. iPhone or Android, Android or iPhone??

But I'm an indecisive person which adds to the frustration.
    03-27-11 04:25 PM
    See, that's my issue. I'm on the fence now because I hear from so many people that the iPhone is way simpler to use.

Open or closed?
    03-27-11 04:35 PM
    Each OS had a different way of getting things done. The only difference with Android is that you control your existence, not Apple our RIM.
    03-27-11 04:36 PM

Why don't you play with both?

If you prefer vanilla (nothing wrong with that), iPhone may be a little bit more suitable.
    03-27-11 04:44 PM

Once you use a phone like the HTC ThunderBolt, the iPhone really seems irrelevant, IMO. The only advantage to the iPhone is that it has better battery performance. Well that, and it's handcuffed to iTunes, if you like that sort of thing...

Seriously though, try both. Not everyone likes/needs the same things, but I think once you try both you'll agree that Android is the clear winner. My better half is an iPhone user and I can't even begin to tell you how much jealousy there is in the house right now. I don't think it will be long before we have another Android...lol!
    03-27-11 05:50 PM
    I think a non techie would like the iPhone better. Smartphone enthusiasts will like Android. People who hate change, BlackBerry. Ha
    03-27-11 06:06 PM
    I went with my dad yesterday to see what phone he wanted to buy. He wanted to get rid of T-Mobile when his contract ended, but hearing the news that AT&T is buying them out, he wanted to jump ship now. So we were looking around the store at Sprint's selections, my dad had a hard time deciding which one to buy. I tried to show him the Blackberrys (9330 & 9650). He tried the keyboards and thought they were too small.

So we looked at the feature phones and Androids. My dad narrowed it down to the Transform and Optimus S. Unfortunately the store was sold out of the Transform so he opted for the Optimus S. So far he loves the device. I never thought I'd see the day when my 64 year old father would be using an Android device.
    That's awesome! Is h texting yet? My 66y/o father has been using iPhone 3GS for about a year now and loves it to death! He's got more apps than I've ever had on both my Android & my BB. It's cool to prove the theory, old dogs can't and/or wont learn new tricks, wrong.
    03-27-11 06:28 PM
    Once you use a phone like the HTC ThunderBolt, the iPhone really seems irrelevant, IMO. The only advantage to the iPhone is that it has better battery performance. Well that, and it's handcuffed to iTunes, if you like that sort of thing...
    I find the only thing I preferred about my iPhone was the responsiveness of the touch screen. It was so much smoother and NEVER froze. Unlike every single Android in existence and BlackBerry.

Don't get me wrong, the better battery life was nice, and a definite point over Android, but not enough of one to shout it from the mountain tops. Heck, ever since the upgrade to 6.0 my BB has barely been lasting 1.5 days... same I ever got out of my old Vibrant.
    03-27-11 06:32 PM
    I think a non techie would like the iPhone better. Smartphone enthusiasts will like Android. People who hate change, BlackBerry. Ha
    Or people who like things that work flawlessly out of the box. I'm a techie and my iPhone replaced my Droid X as my main device. There is not one Android device out on any carrier that I would even consider purchasing.

Once you use a phone like the HTC ThunderBolt, the iPhone really seems irrelevant, IMO.!
    It depends on the user. The TB is the same old HTC device with LTE. There is absolutely nothing special about the TB, and if someone has ever seen or used a different HTC device with a more recent version of Sense they will know this.
    03-27-11 06:38 PM
    Flawless out of the box? That's quite a statement for any phone!

I have had many bugs and glitches on my Blackberry phones .I don't think there is such a thing as a smartphone that's flawless and without bugs.

My Tour had a plethora of issues. Not to say I wasn't happy with it. It served me well for two years. But it had major and minor issues.

I haven't owned an iPhone but from reading forums I.can see it has flaws and glitches too. Antennae gate for one . You can't honestly say iPhone is perfect.

I'm not knocking the iPhone. I was just saying it seems more user friendly. If my grandma can use one anyone can!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 03-27-11 at 07:08 PM.
    03-27-11 06:59 PM
    Avt's been accustomed to Apple's ecosystem, so the iPhone is an easy fit for him. As for myself, I'm sticking with Android because of my use of Linux. There are tools, apparently, working the iPhone with the Slackware distro. But, I'm a sucker for control.
    03-27-11 07:22 PM
    Flawless out of the box? That's quite a statement for any phone!
    Not really. The iPhone is ranked the highest for a reason. The software is extremely smooth (even smoother than vanilla 2.3), the call quality and battery life are also excellent compared to other touchscreen devices (yes, there are reason for this).

I have had many bugs and glitches on my Blackberry phones .I don't think there is such a thing as a smartphone that's flawless and without bugs.
    Do not confuse RIMs software engineers with the ones at Apple. Even Android devices have less glitches (more vulnerabilities though) out of the box than BBs. I'm not saying the iPhone has no bugs (some peoples clocks are all messed up), but it doesn't have as big of a list as most Android devices that release. Look at the logs for the Galaxy S devices that came out. Look at the Droid X log of bugs that were released when it came out. Android is overall more buggy due to fragmentation and manufacturers adding their own garbage. Vanilla Android is not.

My Tour had a plethora of issues. Not to say I wasn't happy with it. It served me well for two years. But it had major and minor issues.
    The Tour is one of the ****tiest smartphones ever made.

I haven't owned an iPhone but from reading forums I.can see it has flaws and glitches too. Antennae gate for one . You can't honestly say iPhone is perfect.
    The thing is, not everyone experiences antenna gate. I can make the AT&T iPhone drop to searching with just one finger. If I death grip my VZW iPhone, bars don't drop. Only until I squeeze the **** out of the device does a bar drop, and the same thing happens on my DX and it has dual antennas, and probably the best call quality and signal strength out of any Android device on VZW.

I'm not claiming the iPhone is perfect. I've went through the 3G, 3GS and now the 4. But Apple does have the best touchscreen in the business. Yes iOS may not have as many features as Android (lack of widgets, full multitasking and customization), but for what it does do, it does it exceptionably well and has the most stable, and largest ecosystem surrounding it. It is user friendly, Android is techie friendly, or someone who has enough time to sit there and try to learn everything. With the iPhone, you can just pick it up and you're good to go. Like you said, if your grandma can use it, anyone can. Same goes for children. When your device has the range to appeal and be used my children and older people who don't know their *** from their elbow when it comes to tech, you know you're doing something right.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-27-11 07:29 PM
    Avt's been accustomed to Apple's ecosystem, so the iPhone is an easy fit for him. As for myself, I'm sticking with Android because of my use of Linux. There are tools, apparently, working the iPhone with the Slackware distro. But, I'm a sucker for control.
    Exactly. When you have other products that mix in with the same ecosystem, things are much better.
    03-27-11 07:30 PM

Android all the way!! iPhones get boring after a while. With Android you can never get bored of it and there is always something new to do along with something new coming out for it.
    03-27-11 07:57 PM
    Or people who like things that work flawlessly out of the box. I'm a techie and my iPhone replaced my Droid X as my main device. There is not one Android device out on any carrier that I would even consider purchasing.

It depends on the user. The TB is the same old HTC device with LTE. There is absolutely nothing special about the TB, and if someone has ever seen or used a different HTC device with a more recent version of Sense they will know this.
    Ditto. I'm a techie too and since going from Droid > Droid X > Fascinate, I'm happily on the iPhone 4. To me it handles email and sms/mms better. Battery life owns. I do however miss the customization of Android pretty badly. That's about my only quibble with iP4. I like the TB but really it's year old technology. There isn't really another Android phone I'd consider but I am salivating over the Bionic. Probably going to pick one up and swap back and forth between iP4 and Android. If anything I'll use the Android phone on wifi as a mini-tab of sorts.
    03-28-11 01:46 PM
    Ditto. I'm a techie too and since going from Droid > Droid X > Fascinate, I'm happily on the iPhone 4. To me it handles email and sms/mms better. Battery life owns. I do however miss the customization of Android pretty badly. That's about my only quibble with iP4. I like the TB but really it's year old technology. There isn't really another Android phone I'd consider but I am salivating over the Bionic. Probably going to pick one up and swap back and forth between iP4 and Android. If anything I'll use the Android phone on wifi as a mini-tab of sorts.
    Agreed. I will be waiting till the end of the year for a new Android device and will most likely get the iPhone 5. I played with an iPad 2 today and the graphics are amazing.

Also, I would just like to know if any TB users are having a problem with touchscreen accuracy and responsiveness. Today I went to the VZW store in my local mall, and I checked out the TB and wanted to check out LTE speeds. I was using the device, and not only did the touchscreen barely respond to fast touches like swiping and trying to bring down the task bar, but it also required me to touch certain icons several times before recognizing my finger. I pressed "internet" app 4 times in a row before it opened. Same with long pressing, and trying to touch home, menu, search and back buttons on the bottom. The rep in the store saw that I was kinda confused and pulled his TB out. He let me play with it and it did the exact same thing. He barely had any apps or anything running in the background, and only 6 widgets running. He told me that "this was his trade off for 4G speeds".

I just want to know if anyone is experiencing that, but I doubt it is anything common.
    03-28-11 06:25 PM
    I'm not having any issues with the touch screen. I haven't calibrated it yet.
    03-28-11 06:42 PM
    That's awesome! Is h texting yet? My 66y/o father has been using iPhone 3GS for about a year now and loves it to death! He's got more apps than I've ever had on both my Android & my BB. It's cool to prove the theory, old dogs can't and/or wont learn new tricks, wrong.
    He's not texting yet, but he is web surfing. He's so excited he can check out real time baseball & football (if there's an NFL season this year). Being able to use a device that has a speakerphone option he can hear is a plus especially for his meetings.
    03-28-11 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD