Sure, Android is secure....depends on what your definition of secure is, and by that I mean, you surely don't know what secure means.

Bluebox Fake ID Android Vulnerability - Business Insider
    lift likes this.
    07-29-14 11:14 AM
    Sure, Android is secure....depends on what your definition of secure is, and by that I mean, you surely don't know what secure means.

Bluebox Fake ID Android Vulnerability - Business Insider
    Lol! No surprise. If you want a secure Android experience. Get a BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    07-29-14 11:16 AM
    Already patched although because BB does not really have official access to the Playstore they have to hope apps they have already downloaded do not have this vulnerability and of course 3rd party store, Amazon etc are still vulnerable to the access allowed in the runtime.. Google Play devices have in device scanning via the Playstore to flag and remove such apps.

"We appreciate Bluebox responsibly reporting this vulnerability to us; third-party research is one of the ways Android is made stronger for users. After receiving word of this vulnerability, we quickly issued a patch that was distributed to Android partners, as well as to AOSP. Google Play and Verify Apps have also been enhanced to protect users from this issue. At this time, we have scanned all applications submitted to Google Play as well as those Google has reviewed from outside of Google Play, and we have seen no evidence of attempted exploitation of this vulnerability.
    07-29-14 11:31 AM
    Only so many patches till the levy breaks.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    07-29-14 11:32 AM
    Already patched although because BB does not really have official access to the Playstore they have to hope apps they have already downloaded do not have this vulnerability and of course 3rd party store, Amazon etc are still vulnerable to the access allowed in the runtime.. Google Play devices have in device scanning via the Playstore to flag and remove such apps.
    The patch has not been sent out yet from the carriers. So NO, it is not already patched.
    07-30-14 05:11 PM
    Only so many patches till the levy breaks.

Posted via CB10
    So true.
    07-30-14 05:12 PM
    The patch has not been sent out yet from the carriers. So NO, it is not already patched.
    By patched I mean in device detection and removal by Google Play Services which is on every Google certified phone Android 2.3 and up if you have an OS version that is vulnerable. BB will have to wait until 10.3 to do the same although since they are relying on a third party, Trend Micro, when that happens is out of their hands.

In reality this has no impact. If you enable side-loading which is off be default, disregard the warning that side-loading is less secure, find an actual app outside the Playstore that has this malware. Load it onto your device. Ignore the warning again that GPS found that app has malware then I don't know what to tell you...you probably can't even boot your desktop cause of all the malware on it.
    mornhavon likes this.
    07-30-14 05:47 PM
    By patched I mean in device detection and removal by Google Play Services which is on every Google certified phone Android 2.3 and up if you have an OS version that is vulnerable. BB will have to wait until 10.3 to do the same although since they are relying on a third party, Trend Micro, when that happens is out of their hands.

In reality this has no impact. If you enable side-loading which is off be default, disregard the warning that side-loading is less secure, find an actual app outside the Playstore that has this malware. Load it onto your device. Ignore the warning again that GPS found that app has malware then I don't know what to tell you...you probably can't even boot your desktop cause of all the malware on it.
    Did you read the bluebox article about this. it goes into great detail. Here is a quote:
    Status of Vulnerability Fix:
    Effectively addressing a vulnerability requires a three step process:
    1) Google produces a generic code fix, which it provides to the Android phone manufacturers
    2) Then phone manufacturers must then incorporate that fix into a firmware update suitable to specific phones, which they provide to carriers
    3) The carrier then distributes the final update, which ensures your phone is safe from the vulnerability
    As regards Fake ID, Google has provided the generic code fix to the phone manufacturers. Currently the manufacturers and carriers are working to get that fix out to you.
    So again, this is not patched yet. Far from it. Also, as I can see, BlackBerry devices would not be affected. This is not a BB runtime problem but a core OS android issue.
    07-30-14 08:25 PM
    To fix the vulnerability in the ROM yes you'll have to wait for carrier update or OTA via Google if you have a Nexus device. But to identify apk that have the malware does not thats what I mean, you can't load the apk without GPS warning you. The Playstore has already been scanned and nothing found and GPS will flag the apk if you sideload it. Google was notified of this in April and AOSP was patched in May.

Perhap you believe GPS updates require carriers and it does not.
    07-30-14 09:45 PM
    Perhap you believe GPS updates require carriers and it does not.
    No, I knew that. I'm saying that until the carriers release the OTA updates this is still not technically fixed. Knowing some carriers that could be weeks.
    07-30-14 09:48 PM