From this article: "Validas said that Verizon smartphones are chomping an average of 421 megabytes per month compared to 338 megabytes per month for the popular iPhone. That means Android and Windows Mobile smartphone users are consuming a lot of data."
    07-29-10 09:11 AM
    Typical with newer media type phones, should be expected.... Nothing new if the companies and carriers are surprised by this.....

It will only keep going higher and higher...
    07-29-10 09:13 AM
    What I thought was interesting, though, is that Sprint had a higher percentage of lines with data, yet a decrease in data use. Could it be that Sprint is selling BlackBerry more than other devices?
    07-29-10 09:18 AM
    Yes I would believe sprint has sold more BlackBerry's, an article the other day did state something along those lines...

Pretty soon all smart phones are going to be rated even higher then you normal Broadband @ home connection....
    07-29-10 09:22 AM
    These stories (which came from Verizon execs anyway) is nothing more then their preparation to justify the move to tiered data plans. After all, if they didn't publish a story like this and make the public go "Wow, that's a lot", how much of a leg would they have to stand on when you got surprised at your new plan/bill. This way, they can turn the blame back on you for buying a very bandwidth intensive device and overusing it.

Don't you just love it with big business pulls the wool over your eyes? lol Take the blinders off people....
    07-29-10 10:52 AM
    These stories (which came from Verizon execs anyway) is nothing more then their preparation to justify the move to tiered data plans. After all, if they didn't publish a story like this and make the public go "Wow, that's a lot", how much of a leg would they have to stand on when you got surprised at your new plan/bill. This way, they can turn the blame back on you for buying a very bandwidth intensive device and overusing it.

Don't you just love it with big business pulls the wool over your eyes? lol Take the blinders off people....
    VZW really wouldn't even need any excuses to introduce tiered data plan. VZW follows whatever AT&T does, and AT&T follows whatever VZW does. For instance, VZW was the first carrier to require data plans for smartphones. AT&T followed shortly.

VZW and AT&T also copied each other by raising ETFs.
    07-29-10 10:58 AM
    That may be true on the surface Laura, but there are legal and face value reasons why VZW would want to approach the change this way. They'll spin the story in such a way that now they can say they were just as surprised about this as anyone else was and they tried to do everything possible (even running a story on it in hopes of detering these data hungry overusers), but they had no choice but the change their data plan structures... boo hoo. lol This is how big business works... they manipulate your viewpoint to make it seem like they were always right, you're wrong, and in the end you're thanking them for setting you on the right path.
    07-29-10 11:06 AM
    That may be true on the surface Laura, but there are legal and face value reasons why VZW would want to approach the change this way. They'll spin the story in such a way that now they can say they were just as surprised about this as anyone else was and they tried to do everything possible (even running a story on it in hopes of detering these data hungry overusers), but they had no choice but the change their data plan structures... boo hoo. lol This is how big business works... they manipulate your viewpoint to make it seem like they were always right, you're wrong, and in the end you're thanking them for setting you on the right path.
    That reminds me of a famous price-fixing case here in OH back in the early 80s.

"In the fall of 1981, price-fixing charges were brought against Fisher, contending that the company collaborated with First National Supermarkets, Inc. (parent of Pick-N-Pay stores) and the Association of Stop-N-Shop Stores to price goods below cost and thereby force others out of business. The company was slapped with five multi-million-dollar suits from individuals and companies. Later that same year, a second anti-trust suit was brought against Fisher and others by two nursing homes and a restaurant for fixing wholesale prices. Both cases enumerated infractions in the late 1970s. The first case resulted in the largest consumer class action settlement of a price-fixing case in U.S. history: one million households in seven northeast Ohio counties received $20 in grocery coupons. John Fazio, who was president and CEO of Fisher Foods when the violations occurred, was sentenced to five years of probation beginning in 1982, but his sentence was commuted in 1984."

Riser Foods, Inc. -- Company History
    07-29-10 11:18 AM
    Makes sense VZW media phones are using more than ATT. Kinda hard to use data when you are on 2g.
    07-29-10 11:24 AM
    I also noticed one erroneous statement. BlackBerry was not even considered due to "data compression". BlackBerrys are capable of using as much data as any other smartphones. Not all data is compressed. I can easily use 80 MB/day when I stream Slacker a few hours.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-29-10 10:18 PM
    And most people don't realize that. They just buy the hype that Mike sells them on about compression and efficiency. I can hit 700MB easy if I wanted to on my Storm via streams of music or Slingbox. I'm streaming 192k trance now and I'm sure I'll show a 50-70MB spike tomorrow on my meter just from a couple of hours of use.

BBs are only efficient now because you can't do as much media rich stuff on them as other smartphones. Once that changes, when that changes, we'll see how much people will complain about those tiered data plans they changed to. Then you can go crying to Mike for supporting carrier's ideas of tiered data plans.

Mike didn't see a bandwidth crunch coming, he was told about the carrier greed coming and figured he's use that as leverage for BB since the time was coming when more and more people were leaving BB or were on the last leg of waiting and OS6 wasn't ready.

We still haven't seen the media player in OS6 yet and if they've solved some of the inherent streaming/playback that OS5 still has. If they didn't fix that, bad press will be all over the fail of OS6. I'm hoping we won't have to see a fail like that, but we won't know until OS6 surfaces.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-10 10:38 PM
    I always surpass 2 GB data usage each month, since I stream audio on a daily basis.

I do not tether.
    07-29-10 10:42 PM
    It is all BS....Verizon's Bandwidth is the culprit, but it is the sell too.....I am so glad I am not "constricted" by at&t... Do some research...LTE is going to be the sickest, and widest data god among the towers.....yeah, tier me
    07-29-10 11:15 PM
    Makes sense VZW media phones are using more than ATT. Kinda hard to use data when you are on 2g.

ill agree with this... the majority of Verizons customers are in a 3g area while more then half of iphone users aren't using 3g due to lack of coverage from AT&T
    07-30-10 09:32 PM
    Holy carp, I just checked and I've used 2GB since July 7th...lol! Usually my usage is in single digits of MB's, but this past month I've been listening to Slacker pretty much everyday plus I finally started using the FB app.

Oh wait, I just looked more closely. VZW said 2GB, but it also said 1150 MB, which is really just barely over 1GB. Talk about rounding up!
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 07-31-10 at 01:06 AM. Reason: correction
    07-31-10 01:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD