I just got the AT&T update for my SGIII and when I went into my email I had to do a double take.

Looks very similar to the BB10 hub even to the peek functionality.
    Attached Thumbnails Android update to the mail so looks similar to the BB10 hub-1386590310503.jpg  
    saxxman, Elite1, diegonei and 1 others like this.
    12-09-13 05:58 AM
    Wow, that does look pretty close.

What goes there, emails only? Or other message types too?
    12-09-13 06:15 AM
    Wow, that does look pretty close.
    makes those rumours of collaboration between Android and BlackBerry seem a tiny bit more plausible....in my opinion, based on that...
    12-09-13 06:16 AM
    Pretty close is an understatement. Looks like the "sincerest form of flattery" to me.
    diegonei likes this.
    12-09-13 07:07 AM
    I just got the AT&T update for my SGIII and when I went into my email I had to do a double take.

Looks very similar to the BB10 hub even to the peek functionality.
    First that is samsung skinned email app and not pure vanila android

Second slide or hamburger menu was introduced to android long before BlackBerry 10

Still I love my q10 ))

Posted via CB10
    Fidel Mercado likes this.
    12-09-13 07:09 AM

Second slide or hamburger menu was introduced to android long before BlackBerry 10

Still I love my q10 ))

Posted via CB10
    I believe I stated that this was on my AT&T SGIII. I made no reference to vanilla Android.

And I am pointing out to email app similarities to the hub in this update. The prior menu did not resemble it this completely.
    12-09-13 07:15 AM

Still I love my q10 ))

Posted via CB10
    I believe you are correct. Sammy's skinned email has had that combined view for a while IIRC, and the slide out has been around for a while too. No other messages go in there except email.

Outside the combined view, that is how Gmail looks too. Haven't looked at the AOSP mail app in a while.
    12-09-13 07:15 AM
    Pretty close is an understatement. Looks like the "sincerest form of flattery" to me.
    I'm not finished playing with it this morning, so I can't really tell whether there are other similarities. But the first impression was WHOA!!!!!!!!
    12-09-13 07:16 AM
    I believe I stated that this was on my AT&T SGIII. I made no reference to vanilla Android.

And I am pointing out to email app similarities to the hub in this update. The prior menu did not resemble it this completely.
    What version of Android is on your SG3 now?
    12-09-13 07:16 AM
    I believe you are correct. Sammy's skinned email has had that combined view for a while IIRC, and the slide out has been around for a while too. No other messages go in there except email.

Outside the combined view, that is how Gmail looks too. Haven't looked at the AOSP mail app in a while.
    There has been a combined view, but there hasn't been the four lines right next to the mail app icon and the peek wasn't there for my AT&T SGIII.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    12-09-13 07:18 AM
    What version of Android is on your SG3 now?
    Still nothing beyond 4.3.
    12-09-13 07:20 AM
    Still nothing beyond 4.3.
    Got ya. I have always liked Sammy's email app.

But it looks like Gmail to me... but with a combined view. This the current Gmail; I assume AOSP is similar:

Android update to the mail so looks similar to the BB10 hub-gmail.png
    12-09-13 07:29 AM
    There has been a combined view, but there hasn't been the four lines right next to the mail app icon and the peek wasn't there for my AT&T SGIII.
    Agree, there's no color lines to mark certain email & no peek either. The composition really similar to hub.
    Samsung always do the things like this, never change,, tsk..tsk
    12-09-13 07:32 AM
    Until it's unified, it's only trying to play the part IMO

CB10'n it via da Z
    12-09-13 07:35 AM
    Agree, there's no color lines to mark certain email & no peek either. The composition really similar to hub.
    Samsung always do the things like this, never change,, tsk..tsk
    Samsung does do stuff like this, but in this case, I think it's more of an Android/AOSP thing.
    12-09-13 07:35 AM
    Samsung does do stuff like this, but in this case, I think it's more of an Android/AOSP thing.
    If that's the case, the upcoming updates to this will be applied to all android devices? or just some of them?
    12-09-13 07:43 AM
    If that's the case, the upcoming updates to this will be applied to all android devices? or just some of them?
    I believe so... (plus a few skinned enhancements via the manufacturers). So all devices that are lucky enough to be updated by the carriers/manufacturers.

You can see the Gmail app screen cap I posted... the slide out has been around for a while. Gmail is always a few steps ahead of AOSP, and from what I just read, KitKat stock email has it now. So it looks like Sammy grapped the AOSP version, added Touchwiz and pushed out the update.

So yes, this is how the stock email app on Android looks now. If I could get that combined view, I'd be set.
    chrizrun30 likes this.
    12-09-13 07:50 AM
    Until it's unified, it's only trying to play the part IMO

CB10'n it via da Z
    The mailbox is unified. The other accounts are part of the notification centre. Personally, I like the separation.
    12-09-13 07:55 AM
    interesting.. Samsung feels like the hub is important.. I wonder how many will follow in their foot steps and say Samsung or Android came up with this idea...
    12-09-13 07:57 AM
    Oh I also don't remember the Priority Sender.....I could be wrong.
    12-09-13 08:00 AM
    makes those rumours of collaboration between Android and BlackBerry seem a tiny bit more plausible....in my opinion, based on that...
    What collaboration rumours??
    12-09-13 08:10 AM
    The mailbox is unified. The other accounts are part of the notification centre. Personally, I like the separation.
    So do I.

There are unified utilities for those that want the combined view.
    12-09-13 08:11 AM
    What collaboration rumours??
    In some threads there are folks saying that the .1055 and the updated runtime are evidence that there will be a closer collaboration between Google and BlackBerry. I'd never paid attention to them until this morning.
    12-09-13 08:13 AM
    So do I.

There are unified utilities for those that want the combined view.

Yah, I don't want to deal with a list of accounts to find what I'm looking for. I like a unified mail Inbox but even in legacy I kept my anything that wasn't email out of the Inbox.
    12-09-13 08:15 AM
    Wouldn't it be the other way around though? If there is a collaboration it would be that BlackBerry would be leaning towards more Android OS styling...im surprised that Android would use BB10 stylings...wouldn't that just make BB10 look that much better??

Or is Android trying to take the best features from BB10 and implement them so people never want to switch?
    12-09-13 09:14 AM
27 12