Found this interesting read on another forum.

(This is a guest post by Dave D. from ThisGreenMachine dot com .)

As I scrolled through tech headlines the other day, one in particular caught my eye: �Is Android Surging Because Apple is Letting It?[1]� TechCrunch is a site notorious for blatant link baiting, and I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Popular TechCrunch writer MG Siegler penned the aforementioned article after reading David Beach�s scathing editorial[2] on the current development pitfalls of Android. As a developer for both Android and iOS, Beach provides a laundry list of complaints from a developer�s perspective. Every point was valid, and I openly agree with his general view. While most of the article focused on how the user experience can be improved, it is prefaced with one strange statement. It is the belief of Beach that the primary reason for Android�s success is due to the fact that the iPhone is only offered on AT&T in the US.

Having read Beach�s editorial, Siegler hits the ground running and continues the argument. For those that have not yet read Siegler�s article here is a condensed recap:
    The iPhone is a superior device in every aspect except the fact that it is only available on AT&T in the US.
    Taking the often abysmal AT&T service out of consideration, there is no objective reason to believe the overall user experience of an Android device is better than an iPhone.
    Die hard fans prefer Android for its openness, but this is something the common consumer does not care or know about.
    If the iPhone was available on Verizon it would sell double the amount it does currently.
    The success of Android is because the iPhone is not available on any other network other than AT&T (in the US), and not because any single Android device is better.
    To be fair, Siegler does not give a tone of arrogance or Anti-Androidism in his writing. A hateful sentiment can be easily detected, and I didn�t find a trace. He is honestly confused and curious as to why anyone would prefer an Android device.

I�ll start at the root, and work my way out. Is Android succeeding because the iPhone is only available in the US on AT&T? No. There is an easy logical answer for my belief. How can you explain the global growth of Android at the expense of the iPhone and just about every other platform? The notion that the US market is the only one that matters is naive and well, very American. According to the Financial Times Android�s global market share has leapt from 1.8% a year ago to 17.2% as of August[3]. Carolina Milanesi, research vice-president at Gartner, originally estimated that Android would reach the second-largest global mobile OS mark by the end of 2012, but has revised the date to the end of this year. If Apple�s contractual lock to AT&T truly is the only reason why Android growth is surging domestically, then the iPhone should still be able to dominate Android globally. Without AT&T to blame, I doubt you can still argue that Android is successful in spite of itself.

Let�s for a moment disregard the global market and entertain Siegler�s point from a domestic view. If terrible service from AT&T is the only reason why a domestic user would choose an Android device over an iPhone, how does AT&T sell any Android devices? By my last count the Galaxy S sold one million US devices in 45 days[4]. This includes only the AT&T and T-Mobile rendition of Samsung�s top line Android device. With AT&T being the larger of the two carriers, it is easy to assume that over half the devices were most likely sold by AT&T. Perhaps it�s not so objective after all.

At the end of the day, Apple is in control of its own destiny. It�s called business decisions and strategy. In this case, Apple made a poor decision to tie themselves up with AT&T for an extended amount of time. Coupled with the refusal to license iOS to manufacturers, and at most an annual refresh, it almost does not seem fair. Undoubtedly, if the iPhone were available on more carriers, they would sell more phones. But it is my belief that Android would be just as popular. Google has made it clear that they are going with the complete opposite strategy than that of Apple. Google chose a diverse strategy of openness, and not just in a software sense. Android is open to any carrier, manufacturer, and consumer.

Yes Mr. Siegler, you are correct. The advantage of Android is its openness. But you are completely incorrect about the consumer not caring. While the average consumer may not care that the source code is available for download, I guarantee they care about the variety of performance, form factor, price ranges for all demographics, and availability of carriers all stemming from Androids inherent openness. The only objective statement I can make is that Android is continuing to grow and it�s because the consumers have decided they prefer Android to iOS.
    09-07-10 04:24 PM
    Android rocks, that is all...
    09-07-10 04:27 PM
    I'll second that.
    09-07-10 04:39 PM
    great writeup. i agree android would sell just fine even with apple on other markets
    09-07-10 04:47 PM
    Yup, times are a changin for Android, Apple and RIM. Given the current state of RIM over the last couple of years I think they need to change their name from "Research In Motion" cause their "research" is definitely more than a couple of years dated.
    I guess I don't get what they're going for, what market are they trying to reach, sure what they have was great for 3 yrs ago, but they can't be completely blind or maybe they are.
    If they think their current form is gonna last even in the corporate world, then they need to just sell the stock now and at least re-coupe some of their loss b4 its so worthless you can't give it away.
    09-08-10 06:58 AM
    I third that

I love sense UI on my DINC but with Honeycomb or Gingerbread, I forget which version of the os will provide their own UI skin, making all the devices somewhat familiar.
    09-08-10 07:18 AM
    Android is doing work. Hopefully it only continues to get better from here.
    09-08-10 01:09 PM
    Of course it will only get better from here. Then they will change the name to Skynet. It is only appropriate once the takeover has been completed...
    09-08-10 02:14 PM
    Of course it will only get better from here. Then they will change the name to Skynet. It is only appropriate once the takeover has been completed...
    too much movies!
    i think Android is taking more of the current iphone and potential iphone owners rather than the Blackberry people..
    just my observation having friends who did just that..
    09-08-10 02:31 PM
    Mark,
    I have seen the opposite.
    Lots of friends who had berries are switching to android because it gives them an iphone aka all touch device.

However, they work for big NY companies and their IT depts wouldn't support them until Froyo came.

I think Android is stealing from the same pool of frustrated palm/ bb users that apple is.
    09-08-10 02:34 PM
    I just switched from Blackberry after 2 years and know many others that will also, so your iphone logic is definitely flawed. Like I stated in another thread, you blind loyalists stick with your excuses and I'll stick to reality.
    09-08-10 05:26 PM
    Lol if my DX tries to kill me now I'm going to blame you!
    09-08-10 05:56 PM
    too much movies!
    i think Android is taking more of the current iphone and potential iphone owners rather than the Blackberry people..
    Most all research article tell the exact opposite. Android is eating away at RIM, not Apple. Pretty soon if Android keeps this up though, everyone will be on the menu.
    09-08-10 05:57 PM
    Android rocks, that is all...
    100%. Apple is pissing their pants Android rocks so hard. One thing about web articles, 5 year olds can publish their opinions.
    09-08-10 09:56 PM
    Resistance is futile.

But on a serious note - why is everyone so emotional about who switches and why? I might be missing the "loyalty to corporation" enzyme, but what's with all of these people who foam at the mouth when someone speaks out against their favorites. RIM, Apple and, yes, even Google are here to make money off us. And I really appreciate having a choice of hardware.

And the whole Skynet joke is not without substance here. Google Search (monopoly), Google Phone, Google Mobile Phone, Google (trying to control) Wireless Internet, Google OS, Google Office software, Google TV... what's next, Google microchip brain implants (haha, wait, that's not funny)

All hail Google!
    09-09-10 08:16 AM
    Android has the benefit of being widely supported and to make a stand out device it has to be customized to the teeth (hardware and software wise), thereby there is a phone for everyone. I believe Apple has the most cohesive OS that everyone including Android is trying to mimic.

personally I like the iPhone but the Evo has more capabilities hardware wise. If the iPhone was on Sprint, offered a bigger screen and HDMI out, well I'd have zero reason to own an Evo to be honest.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-10 01:49 AM
    I believe Android is surging because of Google introduced a super phone "nexus one" to show hardware manufacturers to efficiently display the power of android. Android needed great hardware to showcase its many features.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-10 01:53 AM
    the "super phone" actually fell pretty damn flat
    09-10-10 02:37 AM
    Google apps are way better that crapple (apple is still sucking) Google has more money than jobs anyway...apple is poor. Google has billion dollar satellites, and apple is poor lmfao
    09-10-10 02:39 AM
    We all know chap. Why don't you educate those as to why? Or I will.
    09-10-10 02:41 AM
    That has nothing to do with anything though. The N1 was poorly advertised, and was only available on T-Mobile for a while.

Making that device started the trend of other manufacturers using the same hardware or better. I think that was the point darkman was trying to make. Although, that point can be argued because the D1 runs Android great on the hardware it has. Increasing the hardware did help a lot though.
    09-10-10 02:59 AM
    I heart android
    09-13-10 04:47 PM
    too much movies!
    Hehe, I am sorry but I just had to post this. I called it, didn't I?

Android turning Terminator with the new Liquid Metal phone from Acer
    09-13-10 09:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD