Will Android ever come to blackberry? Why is it so hard to root/jailbreak the bb, but iPhone and android are both completely opened up to the user? I'm sorry if this has been asked, but I am just wondering if there has been any progress getting root access and Android on my BB storm. Thanks.
    08-17-10 06:17 PM
    Because BlackBerry's OS is not POSIX compliant? Both Android and iOS's heritage is based on UNIX. That is not the case with the BlackBerry OS. It's a completely different architecture.
    08-17-10 06:37 PM
    you will never see android on a blackberry device!!! If you want android go buy a android phone. And this type of question should not be posted. In the CB forums.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-10 06:39 PM
    you will never see android on a blackberry device!!! If you want android go buy a android phone. And this type of question should not be posted. In the CB forums.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Although many of us know the answer to this question, I disagree that it was inappropriate to post on CB. The question was directed to the Blackberry community and I imagin it will be helpful to others. This is not the first time someone has asked about using other OS software on a Blackberry.
    08-17-10 07:06 PM
    I only asked because I used to have a BB Storm, and I switched over to a droid eris. I'm going abroad for a year now, and really was hoping I wouldn't have to get rid of android. Oh well.
    08-17-10 08:07 PM
    Because BlackBerry's OS is not POSIX compliant? Both Android and iOS's heritage is based on UNIX. That is not the case with the BlackBerry OS. It's a completely different architecture.
    Android is based off of LINUX, not UNIX. Similar, but not the same. And yes, it is possible to add Android to a Berry, but it is rather expensive and not worth the cost. You'd be better served by waiting for the World Edition of Android coming to Verizon shortly.
    08-17-10 08:11 PM
    Android is based off of LINUX, not UNIX. Similar, but not the same. And yes, it is possible to add Android to a Berry, but it is rather expensive and not worth the cost. You'd be better served by waiting for the World Edition of Android coming to Verizon shortly.
    Yes, and LINUX itself was started in order to have a free alternative to UNIX. Read up on the GNU project.

Either way, LINUX has UNIX as ancestor... So however you look at the tree, UNIX is still at the top.
    08-17-10 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD