The fragmentation on the phones is so major.

So many devices and no real means of comparing and contrasting specs...

Can anyone give me a list or point me in the direction of phones that have a break down of the features currently on android, especially those that list whether or not current or future devices have a hot-spot feature and which carrier they're on?

Thanks!
    02-08-11 06:38 PM
    Pretty much any rooted device can have wireless tethering, or usb tethering.

Hotspot is a different story, that's a carrier charged service and should be listed on the carrier's site.
    02-08-11 07:10 PM
    The droid Incredible is one the service is an extra 20 bucks a month
    02-08-11 08:55 PM
    The droid Incredible is one the service is an extra 20 bucks a month
    Not if you root it, totally free.
    02-08-11 08:58 PM
    I *think* hotspt/tethering is an OS build-specific feature. So, using that as a premise, only phones with FroYo and above (or rooted) can tether.

More accurately, to be able to tether wirelessly, a device must have FroYo... this is what I understand.
    02-08-11 10:56 PM
    My Samsung Vibrant has Mobile AP features. I've used them (hotel charged for wifi) and it was great.
    02-22-11 10:49 AM
    To my knowledge, it's OS specific. Now whether or not your carrier allows it (and for how much) is a different story, but if you root, you can get that capability for free.
    02-22-11 02:34 PM
    To my knowledge, it's OS specific. Now whether or not your carrier allows it (and for how much) is a different story, but if you root, you can get that capability for free.
    how do you get it free i'm rooted.thanks
    02-23-11 11:41 AM
    My MyTouch 4G has mobile hotspot capabilities, & they're free as long as you don't abuse the service. If you use it too much (not sure how T-Mo defines "too much") then you'll start getting charged for it.
    02-23-11 03:29 PM
    how do you get it free i'm rooted.thanks
    Check out Wireless Tether and Barnacle (both on the market).
    02-23-11 09:33 PM
    My MyTouch 4G has mobile hotspot capabilities, & they're free as long as you don't abuse the service. If you use it too much (not sure how T-Mo defines "too much") then you'll start getting charged for it.
    from my understanding tmobile wont charge you, they just cut down your speeds once youve reached ur 5GB cap. what i dont understand is if our tether/hotspot is free why are there tether packages? am i missing something...

oh and this is totaly unrelated to the thread but do u frequent the phandroid forums?
    02-23-11 11:31 PM
    I just know Huawei U8150 android phone has wifi hotspot capability, it can play all the functions that Huawei E583C wifi router does.
    03-10-11 03:18 AM
    from my understanding tmobile wont charge you, they just cut down your speeds once youve reached ur 5GB cap. what i dont understand is if our tether/hotspot is free why are there tether packages? am i missing something...

oh and this is totaly unrelated to the thread but do u frequent the phandroid forums?
    Actually, the 5G cap is for all data transfer using T-Mo's network. Once you go past 5G they throttle you for the rest of your bililng cycle. The wifi hotspot is a bit different. There ARE tether packages for heavy users. You can LIGHTLY use the wifi hotspot capabilities & not get charged extra. However, if T-Mo sees that you're using this feature a lot they'll start to charge you. I've used mine maybe a half dozen times for 20-40 minutes apiece. None of that was used to stream media.

And yep, I do frequent the phandroid forums .
    03-10-11 01:23 PM
    Mine does, LG Optimus on Virgin Mobile. My carrier hides it, but if you install Quick Settings you can easily enable the feature. It works great too

-Dragasoni-
    03-10-11 09:49 PM
    atrix through the carrier - $$$

atrix rooted - free
    03-11-11 02:24 AM
    atrix through the carrier - $$$

atrix rooted - free
    Actually there's an APN hack for the Atrix that doesn't require rooting. All you do is add an additional APN with the right information and you're tethering right away.
    03-11-11 06:04 AM
    Actually there's an APN hack for the Atrix that doesn't require rooting. All you do is add an additional APN with the right information and you're tethering right away.
    i know about that method, but would never suggest to use it. at&t can tell what device is being used and that you are tethering.
    03-11-11 02:56 PM
    i know about that method, but would never suggest to use it. at&t can tell what device is being used and that you are tethering.
    Not at all, you have to sign up officially through AT&T to get charged for tethering. This is no different than any other program that allows tethering, they use pretty much the same protocols as "official" tethering, the only difference is that you sign up for one and the other is free.

My nexus one out of the box has tethering capabilities and after a year heavy tethering I haven't been charged not one penny more.
    03-11-11 03:11 PM
    me also i have a old htc magic that works on att 3g and i tether all the time on the cheap $10 medianet plan and they havent said anything and i used 11gb of data this month.
    03-24-11 09:17 PM
    Mine does, LG Optimus on Virgin Mobile. My carrier hides it, but if you install Quick Settings you can easily enable the feature. It works great too

-Dragasoni-

Shhh :X

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-11 06:46 PM
    VZW HTC Thunderbolt has mobile hotspot. It's free until May I believe. I used it with my parents iPhone, worked great.
    03-29-11 08:05 AM
    What I don't get is if you tether they charge (set ammount) to have one device at a time using it. They charge (set ammount that seems to not be any more than for tethering) for hotspot which you can connect several devices. By their own logic they should be charging for every device connected to the hotspot.

Hope I didn't just give them any ideas lol.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 03-29-11 at 09:43 AM. Reason: add not
    03-29-11 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD