I was reading a few threads, people were saying they wouldn't go to Android cause it's not secure, and they don't trust Google. Can anyone fill me in?
    12-17-12 02:33 AM
    Why come to a BlackBerry forum to ask this??

Sorry, move along. Droids are on a different floor.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    12-17-12 02:49 AM
    Cause it's the BlackBerry users that are saying it.
    mikeo007 and RubberChicken76 like this.
    12-17-12 02:53 AM
    Android is known for its security loopholes. Even some apps are 'stealing' data and sending it back to the developer. This has already been well documented and a google search will tell you much more.
    12-17-12 03:07 AM
    I wasn't aware of this. I was considering a Samsung.
    12-17-12 03:09 AM
    It all depends. View it as a "chicken vs egg situation", because Google's Android is a pretty much catch-22 proposition.

Vanilla Android, with the "proper" settings, stealthily reports to Google 8 times a day. (IOS reports 2 times a day). Data includes your geo-location, etc.

The biggest gripe I had, personally is that you cannot separate Google app services without trying VERY hard to do it.

Of course, there are custom ROMs such as the ones from team CyanogenMod that tries very hard to be as update as vanilla Android, but loopholes still do and will appear.

Moreover, when you gain root access to your Android device, in a way you're partially opening the gates to complete vulnerability, that was why RIM was very adamant about not allowing PlayBook to be rooted.

In the end, how much "privacy rights" you're willing to forego so that you get better convenience. That's about it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    12-17-12 04:16 AM
    The security is only as strong as the weakest link. With Android, Blackberry, iOS or Windows phone, that weak link is the user 9/10 times.
    12-17-12 07:44 AM
    All I gotta say is Google permissions aren't so different from iOS and rim

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    12-21-12 11:18 AM
    I wounder how safe an bar file downloaded from some website and then sidedloaded on a bb10 device will be?
    12-21-12 11:52 AM
    Probably best to have a security expert explain what each does and doesn't do. They all have "security features" and it's not a case of X is insecure and Y is secure. Rather, it's a difference in the measures put in place.

As Mike007, the user is more likely to be the cause of the issue than the device.

Why come to a BlackBerry forum to ask this??

Sorry, move along. Droids are on a different floor.
    Isn't this the Android section of the CrackBerry forums?
    12-21-12 12:01 PM
    I wounder how safe an bar file downloaded from some website and then sidedloaded on a bb10 device will be?
    Isn't it sandboxed into the Android player so it can't really access the rest of the device?
    12-21-12 12:02 PM
    People love making a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to Google and privacy. The link I have in my signature explains things well. The information collected is just used to make things more streamlined and convenient for the user. They've created a product called Google Now which takes information and presents it to you in a convenient fashion. For example, say you order something online and the company sends you the tracking number to your Gmail account. Google Now takes that information and shows you the current shipping status when you launch Google Now. Say you are traveling, and you search your flight number. Google Now presents you with current flight information and sends you updates if anything changes. On my own Google Now, it recognized that I was traveling to a certain location almost every day (that happens to be my gym). It asked me if I would like like traffic alerts and current driving time for this location. This is what it looks like:

You can also see it's showing me current events around the metro. That's just an example of the type of thing Google does with your info.

And to reiterate what Mike said, a mobile device is only as secure as its owner. Follow common sense and you'll be fine. Don't download apps from the web unless they're from a trusted source. Keep your wifi secure. When installing apps from the Play Store, seek out apps that have the top developer and editor's choice ratings. Install an antivirus (I use avg). Use a password to unlock your device. Etc, etc, etc.
    12-23-12 09:33 AM