I remember when the G1 first came out and then when the original Motorola Droid came out I wanted it so bad that I switched to Verizon. Then came the Droid X and now there is a large selection of Android phones today. That's in just 3 years.

I wonder what Android will be like 2 years from now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-11 03:22 AM
    Yes, I agree. It has a come a long way in such a short period of time.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    11-01-11 07:57 AM
    I think in the future we will see a much more unified Android, with less fragmentation, as the manufacturers begin to find their identities in the mobile market space. I'm really hoping they lessen the flood of phones and find a few successful models (ala GSII) and stick with them.
    VIDGMER likes this.
    11-01-11 08:30 AM
    I think in the future we will see a much more unified Android, with less fragmentation, as the manufacturers begin to find their identities in the mobile market space. I'm really hoping they lessen the flood of phones and find a few successful models (ala GSII) and stick with them.
    I expect they won't lessen the flood of new phones--nor do I want them to
    11-01-11 08:48 AM
    I expect they won't lessen the flood of new phones--nor do I want them to
    I used to think fragmentation was a big deal but it really isn't. Gingerbread + dual core goodness is fast enough for my daily usage of calls, texts, Facebook and web browsing.

****, I'm still using my same laptop from 4 years ago with Windows Vista and I haven't bothered to change it because it works fine.
    1812dave likes this.
    11-01-11 10:27 PM
    Android needs further fragmentation. I'd love to see truly individual "distributions" of Android. All AOSP guys work off of one base, and that needs to change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-02-11 02:26 AM
    Android needs further fragmentation. I'd love to see truly individual "distributions" of Android. All AOSP guys work off of one base, and that needs to change

I see u have an iPhone. Perhaps that's why you made such an outlandish comment about Android fragmentation? The market for Android has been pressing mightily for one OS. Fragmentation slows app rollouts, causes confusion, and is counterproductive to the long term success of Android.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-02-11 10:33 AM
    I see u have an iPhone. Perhaps that's why you made such an outlandish comment about Android fragmentation? The market for Android has been pressing mightily for one OS. Fragmentation slows app rollouts, causes confusion, and is counterproductive to the long term success of Android.
    Actually, I see fragmentation as a positive. I've been using Android for two years. I've been running Linux for almost three years, using what's now the oldest distro on the block (slackware) fragmentation breeds real differentiation, and individuality. You learn to appreciate what each distro offers. Google package management, and you'll see fragmentation worse/better than Android

In each flavor of Android, everything is more or less the same: where files are, directory structure, how to install/uninstall packages, how to set things up, and so on. So Android isn't as fragmented as Linux - not even close.

Last edited by lssanjose; 11-02-11 at 02:23 PM.
    11-02-11 02:19 PM
    Actually, I see fragmentation as a positive. I've been using Android for two years. I've been running Linux for almost three years, using what's now the oldest distro on the block (slackware) fragmentation breeds real differentiation, and individuality. You learn to appreciate what each distro offers. Google package management, and you'll see fragmentation worse/better than Android

In each flavor of Android, everything is more or less the same: where files are, directory structure, how to install/uninstall packages, how to set things up, and so on. So Android isn't as fragmented as Linux - not even close.

While the techie might appreciate those things, the average Joe and Jane want it (their OS) more uniform. AAMOF, many of them like iOS precisely because it is so simple and consistent from device to device. Personally, I like the middle road--give me more choice than iOS (which is why I much prefer Android), but don't put out countless versions of it to muck with application development cycles and consumer acceptance.
    11-02-11 02:30 PM
    While the techie might appreciate those things, the average Joe and Jane want it (their OS) more uniform. AAMOF, many of them like iOS precisely because it is so simple and consistent from device to device. Personally, I like the middle road--give me more choice than iOS (which is why I much prefer Android), but don't put out countless versions of it to muck with application development cycles and consumer acceptance.
    But, that's the beauty of choice. There are very simple Linux distros (Ubuntu), and very difficult (Linux from Scratch, Gentoo); and middle of the road (Debian, Slackware)

11-02-11 02:39 PM
    Some of you need to stop a complaint about android's fragmentation, and move on, please.

android's fragmentation is good for zillion reasons. there has more opportunity that you can modify and customize their android phones ROOT & kernel source . c'mon...
    Last edited by VIDGMER; 11-02-11 at 03:23 PM.
    11-02-11 03:07 PM
    But, that's the beauty of choice. There are very simple Linux distros (Ubuntu), and very difficult (Linux from Scratch, Gentoo); and middle of the road (Debian, Slackware)

True, but again, don't give the average consumer confusion at the store. They want to pick up a phone and some idea how to use it.

I went in to BB twice during the PB launch. I was there on day one and a couple of weeks later to inquire on how well it was selling. What the salesman told me was both surprising and dismaying--customers couldn't figure out how to use the PB. They have been so conditioned by iOS that they can't manipulate the browser, for example. I asked him some pointed questions about what they typically were unable to do, and he ended up saying they couldn't do much of anything with the UI. For geeks such as ourselves, we might scoff at that, but the guy had no reason not to tell the truth.
    11-02-11 03:52 PM
    Some of you need to stop a complaint about android's fragmentation, and move on, please.

android's fragmentation is good for zillion reasons. there has more opportunity that you can modify and customize their android phones ROOT & kernel source . c'mon...
    hold on: no one needs to "stop and move on". You give YOUR point, and graciously accept someone's counterpoint. Then you can give your reasons why you disagree. Let's not shut down here.
    11-02-11 03:53 PM
    agree they have.android is on top of the smartphone realm right now.they have really took advantaged of the missed opportunities from their competitors-apple/windows/rim.devices like the samsung galaxy s2,samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket,galaxy nexus,htc titan,motorola atrix 1,2 all are amazing pieces of hardware.windows could make its way to where android is in the distant future.if i had to choose an android device for my next purchase right now-easily it would be the galaxy nexus.
    11-02-11 06:48 PM
    Wow I don't use android but all I ever hear about is bb fragmentation and how devs don't want to write for it because of it.

Is that what you all want with more fragmentation that think it would be a good thing?
    11-02-11 07:15 PM
    agree they have.android is on top of the smartphone realm right now.they have really took advantaged of the missed opportunities from their competitors-apple/windows/rim.devices like the samsung galaxy s2,samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket,galaxy nexus,htc titan,motorola atrix 1,2 all are amazing pieces of hardware.windows could make its way to where android is in the distant future.if i had to choose an android device for my next purchase right now-easily it would be the galaxy nexus.
    The nexus should be awesome.
    11-02-11 07:53 PM
    Wow I don't use android but all I ever hear about is bb fragmentation and how devs don't want to write for it because of it.

Is that what you all want with more fragmentation that think it would be a good thing?
    Windows Phone 7 is good and has potential. But Android is more capable. WP7 is more limited with what it can do.
    11-02-11 10:04 PM
    True, but again, don't give the average consumer confusion at the store. They want to pick up a phone and some idea how to use it.

I went in to BB twice during the PB launch. I was there on day one and a couple of weeks later to inquire on how well it was selling. What the salesman told me was both surprising and dismaying--customers couldn't figure out how to use the PB. They have been so conditioned by iOS that they can't manipulate the browser, for example. I asked him some pointed questions about what they typically were unable to do, and he ended up saying they couldn't do much of anything with the UI. For geeks such as ourselves, we might scoff at that, but the guy had no reason not to tell the truth.
    Well, that's one of the reasons ubuntu has more mainstream pull; it's easy to use. But, I refuse to let Ubuntu become the law of the land. Yes, for a demographic, manufacturer spin on Android is welcomed, and somewhat necessary. However, there's another demographic (developers, those wanting bleeding edge) who want to further Android configurability. I would however welcome manufacturer provided closed source drivers, when necessary.

11-03-11 12:41 AM

Hurts and helps, depending on chosen cause one champions. If a group or community has a good maintainer record, it makes that group's offering much better than others. Having used Slackware for a good chunk of my time in Linux, I appreciate Volkerding's attempts for tip top quality assurance, while he allows others in the greater Slackware community widen its repository of packages or apps. Yet, Volkerding provides the standards to qualify an application's inclusion into the repository. For this reason, Slackware no longer officially supports GNOME (since v12, or 13), or Google Chrome (PAM library is insecure).

Android developers need to develop similar levels of quality assurance, while remaining somewhat open and retain standards of excellence

11-03-11 12:49 AM
    Hurts and helps, depending on chosen cause one champions. If a group or community has a good maintainer record, it makes that group's offering much better than others. Having used Slackware for a good chunk of my time in Linux, I appreciate Volkerding's attempts for tip top quality assurance, while he allows others in the greater Slackware community widen its repository of packages or apps. Yet, Volkerding provides the standards to qualify an application's inclusion into the repository. For this reason, Slackware no longer officially supports GNOME (since v12, or 13), or Google Chrome (PAM library is insecure).

Android developers need to develop similar levels of quality assurance, while remaining somewhat open and retain standards of excellence
    Not gonna lie...your post is way over my head So i'll just take your word for it lol
    11-03-11 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD