When I chose my smartphone I want to to be fast and responsive.
    How fast is android? Can It compare with blackberry?
    05-03-10 07:01 AM
    You can't compare OSs unless you're using an identical platform. I don't think there is any phone that runs either BBOS or Android natively so you have no way of knowing. They're both Java-based OS, so they're inherently slower and heavier than an OS that runs native code like Nokia. However, Symbian (Nokia's OS) is a thousand pound gorilla. Way too many lines of code for what it does. There are really too many variables to be able to make a direct comparison between OS, except on features.

Some hot Android devices are available, they should significantly outperform a 9700. The question is how much is enough. If you run a lot of open apps at the same time it's probably worth looking into if you don't need a physical keyboard. If you just want responsiveness as you go through your work day, BB is adequate, even good.
    Last edited by F0nage; 05-03-10 at 07:18 AM.
    05-03-10 07:14 AM
    Of course these hot android devices can outperform anything since the snapdragon is a real beast. But on devices with similar processing power?
    05-03-10 07:25 AM
    Like I said there is no way to compare because there isn't any device that you can boot both devices from to benchmark anything. You just have to try and see what you like. They are both Java based so they should both suck equally

Android does have some native code execution path and BB probably has extra overhead because of the security emphasis. If I had to tag a SWAG I would say Android is probably faster all else being equal. But that is just a SWAG and based on nothing but conjecture.
    05-03-10 07:26 AM
    Comparing my Bold 9000 to HTC Desire, I think the response speeds are almost identical. The Desire has a 'prettier' interface, that's all. If I was after a touchcreen, then the Deisre would be my phone of choice. At present, I prefer a physical keyboard and they don't come any better than on the Bold 9000.
    05-03-10 07:32 AM
    When I chose my smartphone I want to to be fast and responsive.
    How fast is android? Can It compare with blackberry?
    I had a Storm, just upgraded, and yes I do say upgraded to the Incredible. It is a lot faster, the emails load with pictures and aren't truncated, the browser is infinitely faster. I did love my Storm, but it was getting old having to reset it 2-3 times a day because I did have a lot of apps on it. I can't emphasize enough the speed difference. Even downloading apps is 2-3 times faster than what it was on my Storm. Good luck and enjoy whatever you do decide to go with though. Lots of good phones out there now.
    05-03-10 07:51 AM
    Thanks bseblman
    that's the trouble, there are a *lot* of good phones out there making it really hard to decide. So guess it is difficult to say which is faster unless someone runs android and blackberry os on the same device.
    05-03-10 08:06 AM
    That's what I've been telling ya.
    05-03-10 08:17 AM
    The key difference, for me, is that AT THE MOMENT Android is where all the action is. Palm is lost and BB is stuck in a rut. WinMo may shake things up come Q4, but for now it's an Android world.

There are some very good reasons to stick with BB (there is nothing close as far as email handling), but the OS and the phones are not among them. The presentation for OS 6.0 was so underwhelming that I do not see this changing in 2010 or 2011.

If you want a physical keyboard, BB is a stone cold winner (I can't think of an Android phone with even an acceptable keyboard).

The other big difference, if you buy a bb there is a good chance it won't be obsolete in 2 years. With an Android phone there is likely a bigger, better, faster model coming up in a few months LOL.
    05-03-10 08:22 AM
    That is true, android is aimed at touchscreen,I can't think of an android device that is not touchscreen. Android is fairly new so that's where the hype goes. I almost forgot that the Iphone even existed lol.
    05-03-10 08:26 AM
    Don't think in comparison of os speed....think about os smoothness or fluidity. BB os is smooth, you tell it to perform a function and it does most of the time without a lag....however I find that android acts the same way but it adds fluidity to a phone that bb os doesn't. Just compare home screens. Bb button and back button (functional yet boring) as opposed to android 3-7 screens that flow into each other with the swipe of a finger...both os's get the job done but I feel android is just a little more fun.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-10 08:34 AM
    that is a very good point,but hopefully that will be taken care of in os 6.
    05-03-10 08:39 AM
    that is a very good point,but hopefully that will be taken care of in os 6.
    I don't see it....rim is not wowing me lately.

05-03-10 12:31 PM
    I think overall in terms of experience, the BB OS is the fastest to get around. With qwerty keyboard bberrys the shortcuts make one fly...i can just hit r to reply a message where as with my N1 i have so scroll down to hit reply.
    05-03-10 02:29 PM
    lol BB is faster to get around. I fly on my droid. i gave my tour to my mother and i still cant use it very very slow to get navigate

05-03-10 03:19 PM
    Don't think in comparison of os speed....think about os smoothness or fluidity. BB os is smooth, you tell it to perform a function and it does most of the time without a lag....however I find that android acts the same way but it adds fluidity to a phone that bb os doesn't. Just compare home screens. Bb button and back button (functional yet boring) as opposed to android 3-7 screens that flow into each other with the swipe of a finger...both os's get the job done but I feel android is just a little more fun.

I agree with this comment, the moto droid resembled the speed of my droid. The transition for my storm is a little quicker that my droid, my droid actually lags a little at times to switch from a app or my browser to my homescreen.

05-03-10 08:27 PM

If you want a physical keyboard, BB is a stone cold winner (I can't think of an Android phone with even an acceptable keyboard).

The other big difference, if you buy a bb there is a good chance it won't be obsolete in 2 years. With an Android phone there is likely a bigger, better, faster model coming up in a few months LOL.
    Droid, Moment, Im pretty sure more will come. The keyboards are alot better then a BB. Only problem is thats 2 phones with keyboard, pad, and touch..
    05-04-10 07:28 AM
    You can't compare OSs unless you're using an identical platform. I don't think there is any phone that runs either BBOS or Android natively so you have no way of knowing. They're both Java-based OS, so they're inherently slower and heavier than an OS that runs native code like Nokia. However, Symbian (Nokia's OS) is a thousand pound gorilla. Way too many lines of code for what it does. There are really too many variables to be able to make a direct comparison between OS, except on features.

Some hot Android devices are available, they should significantly outperform a 9700. The question is how much is enough. If you run a lot of open apps at the same time it's probably worth looking into if you don't need a physical keyboard. If you just want responsiveness as you go through your work day, BB is adequate, even good.

I don't know what in the world all this hoopla is about, but i have a simple answer for the OP YES!!! Android runs faster and smoother then the Blackberry OS, i would say every platform other platform runs faster and smoother the the Blackberry OS besides Windows. (yes i know Blackberry has its strong points too).
    05-04-10 08:59 AM
    I don't know what in the world all this hoopla is about, but i have a simple answer for the OP YES!!! Android runs faster and smoother then the Blackberry OS, i would say every platform other platform runs faster and smoother the the Blackberry OS besides Windows. (yes i know Blackberry has its strong points too).
    I agree...really, those 2 shouldn't even be compared LOL

Android ftw
    05-04-10 03:07 PM
    YES AND YES its much faster.
    05-04-10 05:59 PM
    Android FTW?
    05-04-10 06:11 PM
    A four year old nokia lags less.

Lag is a staple of the blackberry platform. Try dialing a number with the 8703e, or even the bold 9000. half the time it can't keep up with your fingers.
    05-04-10 06:11 PM
    I just got my Incredible today, and all I can say is WOW! I can't believe what I've been missing. There is no comparison between the Incredible and the Storm (1) that I switched from. None. Not only is the hardware far superior in terms of specs, but the features and unlimited options in the Android OS are mind-boggling.

The one thing that I expected to be unimpressed with on the Incredible was the email, and I can honestly say that even that performs better for me (Gmail and standard POP3 - I don't use Exchange).
    05-04-10 07:05 PM
    I think the BlackBerry OS is while minimalistic, works extremely well.
    05-04-10 08:21 PM
    Android FTW?
    Android FOR THE WIN ^__^
    05-04-10 08:38 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD