Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Amazon Appstore Free App of the Day

Disclaimer: Yes, I understand these apps are free and we should be grateful that Amazon is giving stuff away. And I do buy apps after trying the free versions most of the time, so I'm not a deadbeat/freeloader.

Anyway, here's my post: How many of the free apps have you downloaded? Have you purchased any of these apps before they were the FAOTD? Do you feel like Amazon "mails it in" some days on the free apps?
    I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in the right order.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Most of the free apps are crap, yes. But then again, a majority of the apps in the entire marketplace are crap, so if they are handing out free ones, it's kind of assumed that there will be a ton of garbage.

The exceptions are the planned exclusive releases like PvZ, but that's rare...
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    11,906 Global Posts

Quite honestly, I download em all.. yes, most are crap but a few gems have turned up that I'd not likely have tried unless I downloaded them for free.
    Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard. - The Doctor

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Connectedly]
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?

I've downloaded most of the free games like Plants vs Zombies, Chuzzle, PacMan and others. I have downloaded a few other apps like the password keeper and superbox pro. I usually try them all then delete them if I don't like them.
    My opinon is mine and mine alone. If you don't like it, go to Match.com and find someone who cares.
    Got an Android? Check out www.androidcentral.com
    Shout out to CyberWarrior and his great walls!
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/wall...allpapers.html
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,118 Global Posts

They have some good ones...Apparatus and Doodle Fit are two good games that were free recently.
    Last edited by Karmaloop; 07-21-2011 at 03:18 AM.

Global Posts
    10,466 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Ditto. I get them all, they're mostly crap but theres been some good ones.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,803 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's that?

I mostly just watch for the good apps to show up! Or at least the ones I think might be good!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,629 Global Posts

I've downloaded 5 so far. I'm not one to download just because it's free.
    4.7.0.148 --> 5.0.0.328 --> 5.0.0.419 --> 5.0.0.797 --> 5.0.0.973 --> 5.0.0.1041

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
    highjakker likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    (LiveProfile) LP3GZRGI

If it looks good and it's free for the day.. I take it. Call me a freeloader but... FREE IS FREE.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,118 Global Posts

The converter app they have free today is pretty useful - I recommend it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,570 Global Posts

Some of them aren't so great, but they've had some good ones.
    They had Tweetcaster a while back. I wish I would have waited.
    I could have saved myself 5 bucks.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    Curve 8330 > Bold 9650 - OS 6.0 > HTC Droid Incredible (Rooted) > HTC Thunderbolt (Rooted) > Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,254 Global Posts

I picked up "Business Calendar" a while back when it was free...that one has been a gem. I also got 2 ad-free versions of angry birds, backbreaker football (which is a fun time killer) and PicSay Pro all for free...those are the good ones that have stood out. My kids liked Pocket Ants and SuperWhy so I picked those up for free as well.
    But to answer the OP, yes, sometimes it does seem like they "mail it in". But even the iphone "FreeAppADay" has mostly lame games, then occasionally they nail it with a really good free app.
    I check Amazon every morning, if it looks good, I'll download it; if I know I won't use it, I don't bother. I'm not terrible into games-they have to be really good to get my attention.

My username is john_v, and I approve this message.

(This signature has been inspected and found to meet all Mobile Nations Guidelines and FDA Guidelines for freshness and organic quality. Inspected by #52)
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,118 Global Posts

SwiftKey X is free from the Amazon Appstore today. Thought I'd give everyone a heads up.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,474 Global Posts

I just downloaded swift key. It looks good.
    work hard, play harder
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,654 Global Posts

Yep, Business Calendar is a gem. I had just started using the Lite version when the full version popped up on Amazon.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

I've seen (and downloaded) some good FAOTD offerings. Sure, you have to wade through the crap, but since they are free, I don't think there is really anything to complain about.

I think the worst thing is trying to read through all the crappy reviews. People questioning why a GPS app requires GPS permissions, complaining about it not working on a specific device (especially tablets) when the description says it doesn't work on those specific devices.

I think there needs to be better moderation on the quality of apps, and the reviews. But since the apps are free, that is just a tiny complaint.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    I've seen (and downloaded) some good FAOTD offerings. Sure, you have to wade through the crap, but since they are free, I don't think there is really anything to complain about.

I think the worst thing is trying to read through all the crappy reviews. People questioning why a GPS app requires GPS permissions, complaining about it not working on a specific device (especially tablets) when the description says it doesn't work on those specific devices.

I think there needs to be better moderation on the quality of apps, and the reviews. But since the apps are free, that is just a tiny complaint.
    For each great app, there are about five crappy ones. I agree with you on the reviews. Some of those people need to go back to using RAZRs or Nokia bar phones.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in the right order.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,332 Global Posts
    PIN
    I itch in places that should never itch!

I think what Amazon is doing is getting people to "LOOK" at their app store, and by offering a free app every 24 hours, it gets people back to see what's there and to pick up the freebie.

Now if they only one free apps from the different categories, offering up several free apps, say a Utility, Game, Social, etc and you got to pick one of each or even one of the categories to get one, but giving you a bit more choice in what was of interest to you.

Personally I can pass on most of the games, but the option to save them for later (and them still being free) is a plus, they they get saved on my account (on their servers), saving me having to move them to my computer for later.
    Da Bear
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,654 Global Posts

Free game of the day is Drag Racing Premium.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    663 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trelawrence View Post
    Free game of the day is Drag Racing Premium.
    When I was looking at it at 3:20am, it was still $1.99?
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,654 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yell0w View Post
    When I was looking at it at 3:20am, it was still $1.99?
    Showing up free for me... are you EST?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,118 Global Posts

Free for me too.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts

There are good and bad apps in both markets. Some of the free apps may be lame for some people. I like the apps that deal with health, exercise and tools. I don't play games on my phone. I appreciate the free apps that catch my interest. But I will pay for an app as well. I think what Amazon does is great........and in todays' economy, that's great.

Have an Incredible day !
    Phoenix Suns Rule !
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,254 Global Posts

Did you see that "Cut the Rope" is free today? It's one of those games I always wanted to check out but was too stingy to pay for.

Sent from my HTC Merge

My username is john_v, and I approve this message.

(This signature has been inspected and found to meet all Mobile Nations Guidelines and FDA Guidelines for freshness and organic quality. Inspected by #52)
    CrackBerry Abuser

I always d/like the free application, then simply delete it if I don't use it. That way it's on the "my apps" section of my account, and I can reinstall it for free if I need it in the future.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast