SO i just Pre-Ordered a moto backflip. What are some things i should know and maybe a few helpful apps to download for the phone.

How does Android 2.1 compare to blackberry OS 5.0??

PS.. im not getting rid of my 9700.. Cant see myself parting with it..
    03-05-10 01:09 PM
    I think you should be more concerned with how Android 1.5 compares to BB, because that's what your phone will be shipped with
    03-05-10 01:40 PM
    My cliq was running1.5.. So I know the features of that build. Thanks though

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-10 01:45 PM
    For apps, it really depends on what you wanna do with your phone. I would suggest Dolphin Browser for internet surfing (I like it better than the stock browser), ChompSMS/Handcent are both great for SMS/MMS (very customizable), and if you tweet a lot you might wanna think about Touiteur (my favorite Twitter app).
    03-05-10 03:23 PM
    For apps, it really depends on what you wanna do with your phone. I would suggest Dolphin Browser for internet surfing (I like it better than the stock browser), ChompSMS/Handcent are both great for SMS/MMS (very customizable), and if you tweet a lot you might wanna think about Touiteur (my favorite Twitter app).
    Thanks.. I used dolphin browser on my CLIQ and loved it.. but i will check out the other apps.. Thanks again.
    03-05-10 03:31 PM
    Hey, I was considering the backflip to replace my bold 9000, but I'm not too sure anymore after the rather mediocre reviews... Can you make your own review on this forum once you get the bsckflip? After all, reviews can't always be taken as pristine fact. I'd greatly appreciate this, thanks!

03-05-10 06:06 PM
    Ive been playing with a pre-release all day and it's pretty sweet! Multi touch would be nice and I think that'll come with 2.0+
    03-05-10 06:16 PM
    Ive been playing with a pre-release all day and it's pretty sweet! Multi touch would be nice and I think that'll come with 2.0+
    Awesome! Maybe there is hope after all!

03-05-10 06:26 PM
    Im ready to dump my 9700 for it!
    03-05-10 06:29 PM
    I have the 9700 for att, and Ive been using the backflip for 2 days now. Definitely disappointed. The touch screen is close to impossible to use. It shows the lack of quality in a motorola product. The entire thing feels cheap, and that has been the conscensus from a few people comparing the 9700 build quality to the backflip.

I considered switching because android is promising, but I really wish they had went with a different company to make this phone. The phone is laggy, the touch-screen is very inaccurate (think lg neon dialing), and trying to scroll through the menu is really frustrating. almost impossible to get to the app I want without opening up something else. Also, while sitting here in the store, idling, the batter reached 5 percent, from being charged atleast 45% in a matter of a few hours. Very disappointing. If you are used to the quality features of the 9700, this phone is certainly no replacement, and very disappointing.
    03-05-10 06:40 PM
    I have the 9700 for att, and Ive been using the backflip for 2 days now. Definitely disappointed. The touch screen is close to impossible to use. It shows the lack of quality in a motorola product. The entire thing feels cheap, and that has been the conscensus from a few people comparing the 9700 build quality to the backflip.

I considered switching because android is promising, but I really wish they had went with a different company to make this phone. The phone is laggy, the touch-screen is very inaccurate (think lg neon dialing), and trying to scroll through the menu is really frustrating. almost impossible to get to the app I want without opening up something else. Also, while sitting here in the store, idling, the batter reached 5 percent, from being charged atleast 45% in a matter of a few hours. Very disappointing. If you are used to the quality features of the 9700, this phone is certainly no replacement, and very disappointing.
    You have no idea what your talking abaout do you?

The touchscreen is fantastic, dialing was was very easy and I didnt mis type once. How can you scroll wrong?? Seriously. It's very responsive. The battery hasnt been great so far but I havent even gotten to fully charge mine yet so Ill reserve judgement there. Sounds like you haven't charged yours either.....
    03-05-10 07:19 PM
    I will make sure to do my own review on it.. And besides if I don't like it I can always return it, get my upgrade reversed and try another android when it comes out.. The one I played with in the store today was great. The touchscreen was awesome, so I don't know what you are talking about and it feels very stable all in all

03-05-10 07:22 PM

The touchscreen is fantastic, dialing was was very easy and I didnt mis type once. How can you scroll wrong?? Seriously. It's very responsive. The battery hasnt been great so far but I havent even gotten to fully charge mine yet so Ill reserve judgement there. Sounds like you haven't charged yours either.....
    Exactly.. +1

03-05-10 07:24 PM

Not a stab at you but don't jump the gun man. You never know he could've used a defective phone and that be the cause of all his issues.

On another note, I can't wait for you guys to review it in full because the whole design of this phone is very interesting to say the least. I'd really like to see how that keyboard handles wear and tear being exposed at all times. I haven't had a good experience with durability regarding Motorola products.
    03-05-10 08:17 PM
    That phone doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll probably just wait for the Nexus One to be released for AT&T.
    03-05-10 08:44 PM
    That phone doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll probably just wait for the Nexus One to be released for AT&T.
    Any idea when that'll be?

03-05-10 11:22 PM
    Not a stab at you but don't jump the gun man. You never know he could've used a defective phone and that be the cause of all his issues.

On another note, I can't wait for you guys to review it in full because the whole design of this phone is very interesting to say the least. I'd really like to see how that keyboard handles wear and tear being exposed at all times. I haven't had a good experience with durability regarding Motorola products.
    Why does everybody keep worrying about the keyboard being exposed?? Do our BB's not have a keyboard exposed each and every day? How's the wear and tear on that? I'm sure plenty a protective cover/case will be made for the Backflip...don't get why "exposure" is such a concern...

I would also love to see Tae's review on the Backflip...I am tempted since it is the first droid out on ATT and coincides with my upgrade, and most likely the only with a physical keyboard...but it does seem like the lower end of the spectrum, so I may wait. Thank goodness for returns within 30 days!

Last edited by phenyx923; 03-06-10 at 12:01 PM.
    03-06-10 11:59 AM
    From what I've heard (I haven't played with one yet) the moto backflip is a cliq with a different style keyboard. I had the cliq for a week and a half, and returned it like I did my last attempt at android (the G1). After a couple days I noticed how laggy things would get. I'd clear the cache, cookies, do a hard reset, etc. The cliq has been plagued with dead spots on the screen (look at the android forums, you'll see a lonnnnng list of complaints), and generally wasn't speedy enough. I think android has some promise, but it lacks the polish. Plus battery life is awful.
    03-06-10 02:21 PM
    From what I've heard (I haven't played with one yet) the moto backflip is a cliq with a different style keyboard. I had the cliq for a week and a half, and returned it like I did my last attempt at android (the G1). After a couple days I noticed how laggy things would get. I'd clear the cache, cookies, do a hard reset, etc. The cliq has been plagued with dead spots on the screen (look at the android forums, you'll see a lonnnnng list of complaints), and generally wasn't speedy enough. I think android has some promise, but it lacks the polish. Plus battery life is awful.
    I think part of the problem is that you're comparing a flagship BB to a somewhat entry level Android device. Try the Nexus one or Droid and you'll probably have a different outcome. I've tried a buddy's nexus One and was very impressed with the phone overall. I'll be waiting for the Desire to drop on ATT since I'm done with trackballs.
    03-06-10 11:17 PM
    I think part of the problem is that you're comparing a flagship BB to a somewhat entry level Android device. Try the Nexus one or Droid and you'll probably have a different outcome. I've tried a buddy's nexus One and was very impressed with the phone overall. I'll be waiting for the Desire to drop on ATT since I'm done with trackballs.
    Very true. BlackBerry has had a lot of time to really hone what they do best. As I said, Android really has a lot of promise, but needs some polish. I also think they need to better integrate multi-tasking. I realize you can use a third party task manager, but I think they should integrate it in something in the way of webOS, which I think overall is a better OS than android. I tried out a Droid and absolutely hated the physical keyboard. The virtual keyboard is getting better (and their predictive text is great) but it's still not on par with the iPhone's. I haven't had a chance to try a nexus one yet. I probably would get one if they carried it in T-Mo stores since I use their non contract plan. I use T-Mo's payment plan, which I realize is still the full price of the phone but the non-contract plans price drop makes up for that, plus there is no interest charged. I do miss the "Fun Factor" that I had with my iPhone and WebOS, but I just haven't been impressed enough yet with an Android phone to make the jump completely. *sigh* Maybe someday.
    03-06-10 11:24 PM
    So I got the phone today. First impreession is pretty good. The touch screen is very responsive' one of the best I've used. The keyboard isn't hard to type on at all. Feels very stable and solid. I did experience some lag when I first turned the device on and synced my blur account. Besides that pretty much no lag. App market is soooooo much better that app world. Internet is fast as **** and youtube videos play flawlessly. Will report more as I use the phone more. I can say I don't think I will have any regrets switching from blackberry to android

UPDATE:
    So after playing with the phone for a while i have really come to love the phone, despite what every said about it on other android forums. (besides the not having Google). My friends have a droid and a mytouch 3G. As we compared all three it was surprising that the backflip was just as fast as the droid when you are going through differnt screens and alot faster than the laggy mytouch. As far as internet goes, the backflip was faster at loading and rendering pages than both phones. I have noticed that sometimes if typing to fast you wont notice that your finger swiped the backtrack pad and your whole text is fvcked up, but there is an option to disable backtrack pad in settings so that isn't that big of a problem. Besides that i have no complaints. I haven't experienced any lag after the initial start up and MOTOBLUR sync, no random reboots, no data outages ((UGH I HATED THAT WITH BLACKBERRY)) and of course no spinning hour glass (YESS). All in all i really like the phone and think that its a lot better than people originally thought it was gonna be.
    Last edited by tae_254; 03-07-10 at 05:13 PM.
    03-07-10 11:52 AM
    And to answer some questions, the phone does have all other google apps that other android phones have besides google search by default, which will be fixed once someone roots the phone.
    03-07-10 05:17 PM

I have no idea what I'm talking about?

riiiiiiiiiight.

I sold 2 of them yesterday. The first one flopped during the setup of the moto blur account.

The second one kept hitting the wrong buttons whenever you touched the touchscreen.

sorry if I am not too impressed about something just because it is an android device. I like the market, the apps are awesome, but the phone looks and feels cheap.

The buttons closer to the hinge, their backlighting has already started to give out. It looks spotted. We had the battery life drain to less than 5% while a customer plugged theirs in to set it up. I hate to say it but all that sounds like a fail in my book.

and you really need to think about what you say. To tell me that I have no idea what I'm talking about, when I have been using the phone before you could even purchase it, is a little backwards. My opinion was that the phone isnt that great, you're entitled to your opinion as well. if you do not like mine, dont read it.
    03-08-10 09:28 AM
    I've had a pre release for the last week buddy, I work for at&t. I sold several sunday as well, all went flawlessly. You must have had a bad batch, or just have no clue. The build quality is great, no wiggle in the hinge at all. Keyboard has good feedback and spacious. I maintain my original stance, either that or you got a bad one.

03-08-10 10:14 AM
    all 5 of the phones my store happened to receive in our first shipment were bad? Or is the fact that everyone in my entire chain unanimously agrees that theyre ****ty phones mean that our entire company got bad phones? Yeah. keep making excuses for it.

I'm happy that you work for them. As do I. I'm sure me not having a clue is the reason why the motoblur registration crashed on multiple phones, skipping the email setup, and all of that. Yup. all me.

I never said anything about the hinge, what are you defending? I really dont care that you've had one for a week. Ive had it for the same time, and I've taken the trainings on the android platform and the backflip device, and nothing has shown me anything great about it. Outdated OS, ****ty touch screen, slow processor, and WEAK battery life.

At the same time, you trying to insult me every time just proves how weak your argument really is.

The only reason I even like this phone is because it puts much more money in my pocket than the iphone, and because I'll be getting a few now after selling them, to resell on ebay gotta love those contests!
    03-08-10 09:58 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD