I have att and a 8900 I would like some feedback as to my dilemma, Im thinking about switching platforms to android i work in retail for phones and we sell the aria which i would get a small discount on, I was wondering what would be the better choice, stick with the 8900 and HOPE and PRAY for BB6 or go to the aria which is roumered to recieve android 2.2 I have done my research and I really like what the aria has to offer but i would like some feedback before I make my decision. Thanks in advance
    Firehawk*
    06-25-10 07:44 PM
    I have att and a 8900 I would like some feedback as to my dilemma, Im thinking about switching platforms to android i work in retail for phones and we sell the aria which i would get a small discount on, I was wondering what would be the better choice, stick with the 8900 and HOPE and PRAY for BB6 or go to the aria which is roumered to recieve android 2.2 I have done my research and I really like what the aria has to offer but i would like some feedback before I make my decision. Thanks in advance
    Firehawk*

don't get your hopes up for BB6 or you will be very disappointed... its just bb5 (which is a complete train wreck) with a few visual enhancements.

while in line yesterday with a friend to get his iphone 4 i got a chance to play with the aria and to be honest i liked it A lot. it was pleasantly surprised to see 2.1 already on it since the slower android devices seem to be forgotten about when it comes to the most up to date OS.

wasn't the fastest in the world but then again im used to my droid running at 1.25GHZ but it wasn't slow by any means. AT&T did remove the ability to install out of market apps which i think is dumb because there are quite a few out of market apps that are really good... Swype to name one.
    06-25-10 07:56 PM
    I would go with the Aria if that's all you can do. The complete freedom with Android is awesome and the customization makes things very personal.

I think S was confirmed to run on certain older devices already and the 8900 wasn't one of them. I'm not too sure though, I'm sure you can find the correct information somewhere on these forums.

I honestly would try to get the N1 or the Galaxy S (preferably the S) when it comes to AT&T or another newer device.
    Last edited by avt123; 06-25-10 at 08:18 PM.
    06-25-10 08:15 PM
    Since it sounds like you can't get the heck away from AT&T, the Aria isn't too bad of an option. It's definitely nicer than any BlackBerry. Performance is good plus it's nice and compact.

I don't like AT&T's decision though to block non-Market apps but it's not really as a big a deal as people make it out to be. Also, there's a ton of AT&T crapware. Verizon hasn't done this to my knowledge and at least with Sprint; it's all free.
    06-25-10 10:48 PM
    It really depends what you want in a phone. Play with both and see which you prefer.
    Last edited by dwe28; 07-05-10 at 10:14 AM.
    06-25-10 11:50 PM
    I have updated my decision to waiting for the S or ordering the N1... I have found a way around atts stupid block of nonmarket apps and i agree that android is a better os. however, im also now debating on whether or not to get one of three android phones. i don't care about cost, but the 3 i am debating on are, Captivate (Galaxy S), EVO (Sprint), or N1... Thanks for the support and help.
    Firehawk*
    06-26-10 11:38 AM
    please reply if you feel you have input towards my dilemma... Thanks :P
    06-26-10 04:09 PM
    I have updated my decision to waiting for the S or ordering the N1... I have found a way around atts stupid block of nonmarket apps and i agree that android is a better os. however, im also now debating on whether or not to get one of three android phones. i don't care about cost, but the 3 i am debating on are, Captivate (Galaxy S), EVO (Sprint), or N1... Thanks for the support and help.
    Firehawk*
    Samsung is like Wile E. Coyote when it comes to smartphones, so don't get the Galaxy S.

The Evo has a bigger screen and 4G, while the Nexus One gets Android updates as they're available. It depends all on what you want. I prefer Android updates because for example, N1 users have had 2.2 for a month while the aftermarket community is just now getting it.
    06-26-10 05:26 PM
    I have been a loyal Blackberry user over the last several years and I just took the leep and got a Aria and LOVE IT. IMO go for the Aria I really don't think you will be dissapointed at all.
    06-26-10 11:39 PM
    Decision has been made. I have the ability to get the evo from my work and am oing to get one later this week, only reason for that over N1 is because I get support from work and I can exchange it myself if I find a defect. Thanks for all the input and help!!! I will be joining the android community later this week! Wish me luck!!! thanks again!
    Firehawk*

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-10 02:49 PM
    Just make sure Sprint has good coverage in your area. A good phone is useless without good service (if Sprint is bad in your area).

I personally would just go to Verizon because they will have LTE first. Plus the Droid X, Droid 2 and Doid Pro will soon be out (X in July).
    06-27-10 02:54 PM
    I really like how compact the Aria is. It moves through everything without any lag that I saw and the creen is very usable. Might have to snatch one up!
    06-27-10 03:06 PM
    This is it, jumping ship to the evo this week. Thanks again to all who helped and posted!
    Firehawk*

06-28-10 06:01 PM
    I would say the Aria of course then again it depends on your needs
    06-28-10 06:20 PM
    This is it, jumping ship to the evo this week. Thanks again to all who helped and posted!
    Firehawk*

NOOOOOOOOO the EVO has had a SLEW of major issues. and the newest evo's coming out are being made with a generic Epson screen! Avoid the EVO!

The Samsung Galaxy S will be the best phone on the market soon in about another month. has the most efficient processor, the fastest gpu (graphics processing) and the best screen (most visible in day light) and will be released to ALL major carriers!

Do some research! It will be branded under different names for each carrier.

2nd option if you are really considering the Evo would be the Droid X. Nearly all the same specs but with the more efficient processor. The only thing it doesn't have compared to the Evo is the front facing camera. but look at this.

The standard Snapdragon 1Ghz Processor can only be over clocked 120% The standard Motorola Droid processor (which is the same brand that will be in the samsung galaxy s) was able to be over clocked to 230%. Texas Instruments Omap processor (Arm7/8 Cortex) which is also the same processor thats in the Iphone4. But like i said earlier, the Samsung will be paired with the fastest GPU for highest efficiency.

(sorry is bugging me so i re-looked up some other info i posted earlier to show you, hence the edits, lol)

* Motorola Droid/Milestone: TI OMAP3430 mit PowerVR SGX530 = 14 Million Triangles Per second
    * Nexus One: Qualcomm QSD8�50 with Adreno 200 = 22 Million Triangles Per second
    * iPhone 4G: Cortex-A8 with PowerVR SGX535 = 28 Million Triangles Per second
    * Samsung Galaxy S: S5PC110 with PowerVR SGX540 = 90 Million Triangles Per second

The evo would fall under the qualcomm category. I'm jus sayin..
    Last edited by x1208x; 06-28-10 at 07:05 PM.
    06-28-10 06:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD