Sanjay Jha, “34 percent of BlackBerry users are ready to switch to Android” – Android and Me

Makes since to me, out of date hardware. Dated, almost primeval OS, and lack of n3rdiness.

I could see people making the just between this /droid pro,Charm, Spice/ looks like Android is aiming @ Blackberry directly.
    10-06-10 01:13 PM
    Android is aiming at RIM. Apple and Android keep gaining market share while RIM continuously loses it. Although I wouldn't buy the Pro, it makes RIM look like fools for putting out the Torch.
    10-06-10 01:17 PM
    Android is aiming at RIM. Apple and Android keep gaining market share while RIM continuously loses it. Although I wouldn't buy the Pro, it makes RIM look like fools for putting out the Torch.
    The Spice, which isn't even their newest QWERTY frontrunner makes RIM looks like goobers via the Torch.
    10-06-10 01:41 PM
    Droid Pro for me
    10-06-10 01:44 PM
    It's a good play by MOTO, but it's going to take more than that to crack the BES culture. Motorola would be smart to start integrating their BES like device (do they have one?) into company infrastructures free of charge if they have any interest in really getting into this market.
    10-06-10 01:58 PM
    I ain't ready to convert to Borg...errr I mean Android. As long as I am satisfied with what RIM delivers to my needs/wants, I will stay with them till heII freezes over.

I really dislike seeing people and articles trying to pursue the sheeple that "they must" convert to Android and drop whomever they are with cause its the suppose "end all" devices.

Let people decided what they want, this phone game is communism.

Thnx, �Tripster�

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-10 02:11 PM
    I did see the news about the new Droid Pro and it really looks like a good device, but what I worry about is the legacy of the device. If you get the Droid Pro and there isn't a follow-up device or if it becomes something that is exclusive to Verizon, then it isn't really worth. I know that I can get a traditional BB on any carrier and there will always be a follow-up. and that goes for a lot of their devices. I still don't like some things about Android. Just because they have introduced a form factor that looks like a BB doesn't mean that they have solved some of their issues with the OS. The messaging system still needs some work. Battery life on their devices is horrible. They have yet to produce an OS that isn't buggy. There are still security issues. Good integration with non-gmail accounts is still an issue. Notifications for apps like Facebook and Twitter need to be worked out. Android is rising fast, but they still have a ways to go. Believe me, I understand the excitement surrounding Android, but I'm thinking the 9780 with OS 6 may be the BB that addresses all the needs of BB users.

10-06-10 07:40 PM
    Sanjay Jha, �34 percent of BlackBerry users are ready to switch to Android� � Android and Me

Makes since to me, out of date hardware. Dated, almost primeval OS, and lack of n3rdiness.

I could see people making the just between this /droid pro,Charm, Spice/ looks like Android is aiming @ Blackberry directly.
    I'm going to agree with you on this one. They are aiming right at RIM. I'm not sure how successful they will be, but this looks like a good attempt.

10-06-10 07:52 PM
    I did see the news about the new Droid Pro and it really looks like a good device, but what I worry about is the legacy of the device. If you get the Droid Pro and there isn't a follow-up device or if it becomes something that is exclusive to Verizon, then it isn't really worth. I know that I can get a traditional BB on any carrier and there will always be a follow-up. and that goes for a lot of their devices. I still don't like some things about Android. Just because they have introduced a form factor that looks like a BB doesn't mean that they have solved some of their issues with the OS. The messaging system still needs some work. Battery life on their devices is horrible. They have yet to produce an OS that isn't buggy. There are still security issues. Good integration with non-gmail accounts is still an issue. Notifications for apps like Facebook and Twitter need to be worked out. Android is rising fast, but they still have a ways to go. Believe me, I understand the excitement surrounding Android, but I'm thinking the 9780 with OS 6 may be the BB that addresses all the needs of BB users.

I'm just curious where you are getting your information regarding the Android OS.

I am a former Storm user and after that piece of garbage disappointed me severely after about a year, I got the Moto Droid a few weeks after it came out, and was immediately blown away at how much of a better phone it was.

But some of your claims about the OS seem a little off to me:
    "The messaging system still needs some work."

Gtalk works pretty seamless actually and features such as non-Android users can use it (all you need is Gmail) and that it continues your conversations between Gmail and Gchat so you can go from one to the other seamlessly.

"Battery life on their devices is horrible."

I can't really dispute this definitively I can only tell you about my device. The battery life is the one thing about my Droid that is a problem I basically have chargers everywhere in order to combat this. However, all of their devices? I don't know for sure, but I highly doubt every Android device has bad battery life, especially when you consider the wide range of hardware available among Android phones. I am going to assume that Motorla in creating the Droid Pro specifically intends to have good battery life due to its target audience.

"They have yet to produce an OS that isn't buggy."

I don't understand this at all. My OS has never been buggy and still isn't today, it has only gotten better with each update in terms of features and speed. This statement is seriously confusing to me because I have never heard this from anyone with an Android.

"There are still security issues."

I don't know the answer to this one myself. The only people I have heard claim Android has security issues is BB users, but I think all smartphones are suceptible at this point maybe some more than others but I can't really comment on this first hand.

"Good integration with non-gmail accounts is still an issue."

Since the 2.2 update (few months ago) the experience is exactly the same for what I use it for. My contacts, calendar, and email all sync perfectly and the one option I noticed I didn't have with Android, ability to accept/decline/maybe attend meeting invitations, is now included with the update. I am sure I am missing out on some stuff BB users are able to do with exchange that I am but for the functionality I mentioned above I notice no difference from what I had with the BB.

"Notifications for apps like Facebook and Twitter need to be worked out. "

I don't know about Twitter because I never used it but notifications for FBook work perfectly, and compared to BB (when I had it obviously) aren't even a fair comparison. The BB FB app was a joke, I seriously hope it has gotten better for you guys but when I had it, absolutely terrible.
    10-06-10 09:24 PM
    I'm just curious where you are getting your information regarding the Android OS.

I am a former Storm user and after that piece of garbage disappointed me severely after about a year, I got the Moto Droid a few weeks after it came out, and was immediately blown away at how much of a better phone it was.

But some of your claims about the OS seem a little off to me:
    "The messaging system still needs some work."

Gtalk works pretty seamless actually and features such as non-Android users can use it (all you need is Gmail) and that it continues your conversations between Gmail and Gchat so you can go from one to the other seamlessly.

"Battery life on their devices is horrible."

I can't really dispute this definitively I can only tell you about my device. The battery life is the one thing about my Droid that is a problem I basically have chargers everywhere in order to combat this. However, all of their devices? I don't know for sure, but I highly doubt every Android device has bad battery life, especially when you consider the wide range of hardware available among Android phones. I am going to assume that Motorla in creating the Droid Pro specifically intends to have good battery life due to its target audience.

"They have yet to produce an OS that isn't buggy."

I don't understand this at all. My OS has never been buggy and still isn't today, it has only gotten better with each update in terms of features and speed. This statement is seriously confusing to me because I have never heard this from anyone with an Android.

"There are still security issues."

I don't know the answer to this one myself. The only people I have heard claim Android has security issues is BB users, but I think all smartphones are suceptible at this point maybe some more than others but I can't really comment on this first hand.

"Good integration with non-gmail accounts is still an issue."

Since the 2.2 update (few months ago) the experience is exactly the same for what I use it for. My contacts, calendar, and email all sync perfectly and the one option I noticed I didn't have with Android, ability to accept/decline/maybe attend meeting invitations, is now included with the update. I am sure I am missing out on some stuff BB users are able to do with exchange that I am but for the functionality I mentioned above I notice no difference from what I had with the BB.

"Notifications for apps like Facebook and Twitter need to be worked out. "

I don't know about Twitter because I never used it but notifications for FBook work perfectly, and compared to BB (when I had it obviously) aren't even a fair comparison. The BB FB app was a joke, I seriously hope it has gotten better for you guys but when I had it, absolutely terrible.
    Well i only highlighted two parts of your response, but I think thats all thats needed. You see you say I haven't had this problem, and I haven't experienced this. But Android (a great OS) does have a lot of the problems the poster you are replying to highlighted. Of course security is one you can root the darn thing aka hack it. Of course the OS is still a little buggy its a young OS in terms of years its been out (but hey so is blackberry). Although its awesome you haven't experienced some of these faults plenty of users have, and that goes for any platform. Just wanted to get that out there.
    10-06-10 09:37 PM
    I know I do not speak for all former Blackberry owners, but Android OS just does everything I need out of my device. Blackberry had failed to evolve in any signigicant fashion, in my opinion.
    10-06-10 10:06 PM
    I already switched. Bb who?

10-06-10 10:28 PM
    Sanjay Jha, �34 percent of BlackBerry users are ready to switch to Android� � Android and Me

It's not an army, and you are not a soldier for google. It's a product and you are a consumer. Enjoy it, but don't get carried away.
    10-06-10 10:45 PM
    +10 LMFAO nice one I agree D_March
    10-06-10 10:47 PM
    I look at the Droid Pro and I'm thinking to myself, "why doesn't RIM have this device?" Why are they working on a godaweful looking clamshell thing when this design seems like a match made in Heaven for a Blackberry touchscreen device. This think looks more like a Blackberry than the Torch ever did.
    10-06-10 11:31 PM

WOW dude you are so so wrong and lost..LOL Who told you all this because you are so wrong. The android OS is A+. battery life is just as good as any other smart phone..

Dude your just giving yourself a reason not to switch.

Everything you stated is asz wrong backwards. Everything you saying it cant do, it DOES
    10-07-10 03:18 AM
    It's a good play by MOTO, but it's going to take more than that to crack the BES culture. Motorola would be smart to start integrating their BES like device (do they have one?) into company infrastructures free of charge if they have any interest in really getting into this market.
    Its ok. Once this phone come out its game over for RIM
    10-07-10 03:19 AM
    I already switched. Bb who?

I know right,, Whats a blackberry?
    10-07-10 03:20 AM
    I look at the Droid Pro and I'm thinking to myself, "why doesn't RIM have this device?" Why are they working on a godaweful looking clamshell thing when this design seems like a match made in Heaven for a Blackberry touchscreen device. This think looks more like a Blackberry than the Torch ever did.
    I agree with you about "why isn't RIM working on this" I remember a few months back when they were with the Bold 9000 model people were loving the idea and hoping they did. Now some are saying this device is ugly. Ummm come on people you like it a few months ago. I hope that this device sells well and RIM catches on.

10-07-10 05:13 AM
    Everyone I know has switched to android, I switched in july and haven't looked back.
    10-07-10 05:25 AM
    They have yet to produce an OS that isn't buggy.
    Blackberry has yet to produce an OS that isn't buggy, and they have been at it a lot longer!
    10-07-10 05:29 AM
    The messaging system still needs some work. Battery life on their devices is horrible. They have yet to produce an OS that isn't buggy. There are still security issues. Good integration with non-gmail accounts is still an issue.Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You failed here about this the messaging system is superior to my blackberries ever was , there are no delays , also my popup server mail is flawless I dont use the google sync mail . I have had buggier blackberry OS then I ever did on android as well , I have yet to do any battery pulls as well LOL ,Android doesnt require that

Also my battery life on one device has lasted 44 hrs and still had power left , NEVER my blackberry went that long , , another device I had over 24 hrs again beating my blackberry , neither device was totally drained of battery power it was just time to sleep
    Last edited by DavidNC; 10-07-10 at 05:46 AM.
    10-07-10 05:43 AM
    Yeah, that comparison is like 1% to 40% BB being the higher, not to mention it's coming from someone who doesn't even use an Android system, so not sure how you can comment on something you've never used for a substantial period of time.

Unlike Android, everytime RIM released an OS, what was broke in the last upgrade is fixed, but things that worked before had bugs in the OS upgrade.

Not to mention when Froyo 2.2 was released it had an issue with the SMS not showing in the correct time frame order and just a couple of days later Moto released a statement that they had a fix in the works, how many times can you say RIM/Carriers released any statement about fixing anything, instead you would call the carrier and was given some BS story as to why it was working that way.

Every OS has bugs, it's what the mfg chooses to do about them and I can say that Android has been great with any kind of update fix needed.

So yeah, the comparison is like putting an Apple next to an Orange.
    10-07-10 05:51 AM
    You failed here about this the messaging system is superior to my blackberries ever was , there are no delays , also my popup server mail is flawless I dont use the google sync mail . I have had buggier blackberry OS then I ever did on android as well , I have yet to do any battery pulls as well LOL ,Android doesnt require that

Also my battery life on one device has lasted 44 hrs and still had power left , NEVER my blackberry went that long , , another device I had over 24 hrs again beating my blackberry , neither device was totally drained of battery power it was just time to sleep
    COMPLETELY AGREE, with root and setcpu app, I've gotten 3 days on a single charge, it's GREAT.

Let's see a BB do that.
    10-07-10 05:54 AM
    It's not an army, and you are not a soldier for google. It's a product and you are a consumer. Enjoy it, but don't get carried away.
    It's called sarcasm, or satire humor, depends on which side of the plate you stand on.
    10-07-10 08:01 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD