Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. biegertk's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default 2.1 for Droid to be rolled out Thursday

  2. Johnly's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,026 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,727 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Well, it's still a Q1 thang in late March huh? That's what I thought, OK, lets have it!

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  3. Headshrink's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Sweet, looking forward to the new features.
  4. Patx's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    11 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    So, would you get a Droid now, or wait untill 2.1 is the stock OS that comes with the phone? How long would that take anway?
  5. Headshrink's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patx View Post
    So, would you get a Droid now, or wait untill 2.1 is the stock OS that comes with the phone? How long would that take anway?


    If you invest in one now, the chances may be that it will have it already. I wouldn't wait, either it has it or will in a few days/
  6. nate8u's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    469 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Sweet can't wait!

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  7. berrymike's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    196 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
    If you invest in one now, the chances may be that it will have it already. I wouldn't wait, either it has it or will in a few days/
    The new phone will not have the new OS on it already. Chances are if you go and buy a phone today the phone has been sitting on Verizon's shelves for a couple of days anyway. The update will begin tomorrow and Droids owners will get a notification to do an over the air update. The update takes only a few minutes (with in mind that you're in a good coverage area or with wifi on) and you can just keep on trucking.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  8. thebignewt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,783 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,178 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
    Sweet, looking forward to the new features.
    What new features (over 2.01)? A review I read said they couldn't find hardly any difference except some screens looked different.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus, iPad2 and iMac. Former BB 8100 and 8900 owner.
  9. Mr. Spontaneous's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    364 Posts
    Global Posts
    429 Global Posts
    PIN
    Crackberry no more!
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
    What new features (over 2.01)? A review I read said they couldn't find hardly any difference except some screens looked different.
    Verizon posts Motorola DROID 2.1 update details… « Boy Genius Report
  10. buzzdar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    267 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Release schedule is as follows:

    At noon EST on 3/18 1,000 users will receive notification of the upgrade

    At 11:59 pm on 3/18 9,000 more users will receive the notification to upgrade

    After the first 10,000 users receive the update on 3/18 there will be a 24 hour period where no additional updates will be pushed.

    On day 3 (3/20) 200,000 users will receive the update notification at 11:59pm and continue each hour until delivered to all users
    2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
  11. NIKSTORM's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    972 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,416 Global Posts
    PIN
    JUST ASK
    #11  

    Default

    Does google or moto have a version of desk top manager to check online?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  12. Auriaka's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    52 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    I think that although there is some major feature changes and then some minor tweaks, that overall this will be a good official update and either way its a great 2.1 foundation for new custom Rom to be created centered around once this 2.1 update does happen to get cracked and rooted

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  13. imp4pdabest's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    105 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzdar View Post
    Release schedule is as follows:

    At noon EST on 3/18 1,000 users will receive notification of the upgrade

    At 11:59 pm on 3/18 9,000 more users will receive the notification to upgrade

    After the first 10,000 users receive the update on 3/18 there will be a 24 hour period where no additional updates will be pushed.

    On day 3 (3/20) 200,000 users will receive the update notification at 11:59pm and continue each hour until delivered to all users
    2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    & me with my luck, I probably won't get my update til the 3rd day.
    Positive over negative!

  14. BzB
    BzB is offline
    BzB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,440 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    2.1 will be an excellent upgrade for users who wish to keep their phone stock. rooted users might not care much about this update since 2.1 has been available in many different flavors for some time, but at least it shows that google is committed to improving the os. the benefits of an open platform on many devices mean that we'll always have many different options for customizing the phone. sweet!



    Quote Originally Posted by NIKSTORM View Post
    Does google or moto have a version of desk top manager to check online?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    not necessary, you can check for updates directly from the phone. or the phone will let you know when one is available and then it will get pushed to the phone for updating.

    Quote Originally Posted by Auriaka View Post
    I think that although there is some major feature changes and then some minor tweaks, that overall this will be a good official update and either way its a great 2.1 foundation for new custom Rom to be created centered around once this 2.1 update does happen to get cracked and rooted

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    2.1 has already been cracked and rooted. the version most rooted users have now is very close, if not exactly the same, as the version being released tomorrow. the customization of the roms include features from other phones (like the nexus, desire, milestone) that aren't included in the os for the droid.
  15. thebignewt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,783 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,178 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Well pinch to zoom for the browser is the main new feature. Maybe the news/weather thing will be OK but those are a dime a dozen already. The rest is pretty much a zero IMO. It's cool they're pushing it though. 95% of people will never change their OS if you have to do it like a BB. 99.9% of people will never root the phone.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus, iPad2 and iMac. Former BB 8100 and 8900 owner.
  16. FrostMan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    555 Posts
    PIN
    EAPPLE
    #16  

    Default

    The only positive thing I see out of this is we will have the most stable 2.1 possible base for custom roms and that is the only good thing I see for me out of this
    Portfolio | My Twitter
    -------------------------------------------------
    Phone: Samsung Fascinate
    Rom: Stock Deodexed 2.1
    Recovery: CM 2.5.1.0
    Kernel: JT's 1.2GHz Voodoo Enabled + AOSP Boot Anim.
    Theme: Remix
    -------------------------------------------------
    Phone: Motorola Droid 1 [SOLD]
    Theme: Dark Edge
  17. mitchell209's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    338 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman91 View Post
    I'm thinking about unrooting and updating to the official 2.1 The only reason I rooted was to overclock and since installing the 2.1 ROM that was supposed to be pushed out weeks ago, stock speed has been very fast and I see no need to overclock anymore. I'm still thinking but am considering unrooting.
    The only reason I ever rooted my G1 was because I had just gotten it and love to play around with my devices when I first get them. I did enjoy a few of the ROMs I flashed on my phone though.
  18. Johnly's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,026 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,727 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostMan View Post
    The only positive thing I see out of this is we will have the most stable 2.1 possible base for custom roms and that is the only good thing I see for me out of this
    No one else can see the point like you can, your perspective is yours
  19. baker954's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Motorola DROID 2.1 Release + VerizonWireless = FAILURE....

    Once again.
  20. Mr. Spontaneous's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    364 Posts
    Global Posts
    429 Global Posts
    PIN
    Crackberry no more!
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baker954 View Post
    Motorola DROID 2.1 Release + VerizonWireless = FAILURE....

    Once again.
    Dunno, I think this is more a MotoFail than a VZW fail - VZW doesn't make the ROM.
  21. BzB
    BzB is offline
    BzB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,440 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    the rumor regarding the release delay is the company that will be pushing the update is having infrastructure issues that may result in "push" not being successfully delivered. or something to that extent. might not have much to do with vzw or moto really...
  22. Mr. Spontaneous's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    364 Posts
    Global Posts
    429 Global Posts
    PIN
    Crackberry no more!
    #22  

    Default

    According to PhoneScoop:
    "The Android 2.1 upgrade for the Droid by Motorola was deployed to a small number of Verizon Wireless test users as scheduled. It is expected the broader phased rollout to all Droid by Motorola users will take place, but not just yet. No date scheduled yet."
    So, it's out there, but VZW wants to make sure things don't explode before distributing it to the unwashed masses.
  23. moneymatt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    121 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    I guarantee you Apple sent out a PACK of lawyers to stop this release.

    There's no way doing a legal release with Pinch+Zoom is that easy.

    If Motorola holds on to the p+z fight this may take months for a settlement.

    $Matt
  24. black_rain™'s Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    PIN
    No Need
    #24  

    Default

    oh well guess it's back to rooting my droid
    Don't try to study me cause you'll NEVER graduate !!!

    @dappa_yute
  25. Blacklac's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,550 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,024 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    I guess DROID DOESN'T...

    Sorry, couldn't help it.
    Lumia 1020/1520 - WP 8.1
    Nexus 7 (2013) - 4.4.4
    32GB Playbook - OS 2.1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions