Hey there fellow Pokemon GOer!
    (is that a word? GOer?)
    You're in Edmonton. You think to yourself, why are the potholes so big? Why is the weather so moody? Why does the Ice District have so much hype? Why did Taylor Hall leave us?

These are all questions I don't have the answer to.

Luckily, if you came to this thread, I can cheer you up somehow. In this guide, you'll be learning about the great places to catch Pokemon in Edmonton, regardless from what part of the city you're at! Be sure to take a look at the links at the end of this thread, there's an incredibly useful map, not made by me, which I've used. Let's get started.

I could write about nests, about where to catch specific Pokemon, but they change so much, it's useless to tell you the ones that are active as of today. However, I'll mention them only if they're known to be considerably consistent in that area. Along the way, I'll tell you where to level up fast, where to get stocked up on supplies, and where the best places exist to catch the Pokemon you want in Edmonton.

These are the main places in YEG:

Of course, there are other smaller areas that surround the city, but these ones are the most popular due to 2 main things: lots of people are there regardless of the time, which makes it safer to stay there for long periods of time, and there are always lures popped. Along the way, I'll be saying what my personal catches have been in each location. Take it with a grain of salt, but for the most part, I've found that I've caught very similar Pokemon as my friends when going there.

Let's start off with
    The Alberta Legislature Grounds:
    This is where you'll find tons of fellow Edmontonians, where the legendary Dragonite randomly pops up, and where you can literally stay in one place and catch infinite Pokemon since lures are placed by various people in almost every corner. This is one of my favourite places because you can explore the grounds if you haven't yet, and while you do so, you can gain XP from quick regenerating Pokestops. Apart from this, it's walking distance towards Jasper Ave, which along the way, has many Pokestops. I suggest you check it out yourself as you just need to be there to experience the atmosphere of how 1 simple app can get everyone gathered on one of the most significant political buildings in Alberta. Just a quick tip if you're lvl 12+ and are going here. Don't fall for what I like to call the "Drowzee" traps. Basically, this place is filled with Drowzees, which are impossible to catch as they're high in CP, and give very little reward afterwards. If you're looking for a way to stock up on XP, look elsewhere.
    Personal catches: Rhyhorn, Dragonite, Nidoran, Drowzee

William Hawrelak Park
    Simply put, when the weather is nice, there is plenty of space to walk around, along with tons of Pokestops. Unfortunately, it's really far from anything else but the park itself, since it's by Groat Road, so I've personally only been there a handful of times. Not much to say except it's a great place to go if you're by the area. This location is notorious for being a Magmar nest, so take advantage of it when you're around.
    Personal catches: Magmar, Snorlax

Griesbach Barracks
    The home of what came to be the most used and abused community in Edmonton for PGO players. Why? Because Northgate is very close to it, you can easily take a bus from Churchill Square (the 9) to it, and where the amount of fun you can find here is endless. Although it gives a walking path to find many pokemons, and is known to have a handful of rare pokemon, as a fellow Edmontonian, be sure to pick up after your own mess. Apart from that, this is the place to be if you live on the north side. It's always packed, the view of the trees are gorgeous, and the Tim Hortons + Shell gas station makes it easy to relax afterwards.

Personal Catches: Ghastly, Eevee

Sir Winston Churchill Square/Jasper Ave
    I actually know a buddy that works at that Three Bananas Cafe, and let me tell you, this place is god sent for supplies. He went from level 1-17 in 3 days just because he doesn't have to move to spin Pokestops. In the summer, there is always something happening in this square, and security is very high due to the nature of Downtown Edmonton. The mix of Pokemon here are incredible, and if it's your first time in Edmonton, is a great place to familiarize yourself with the rhythm of the city. There are Pokestops on the corner of each block, and a mall that has quick food joints to eat and relax afterwards. As you're leaving the square, you'll start passing by City Centre, and eventually find your way to Jasper Avenue, which is filled with stops as well. If you're looking for a place to be at night, this is my personal favourite, just be cautious and have your eyes on the road when crossing!

Personal catches: Zubat, Squirtle, Onx

University of Alberta
    There isn't much to say about this campus except that it's huge, and it's probably one of my favourite places to go for hunting. The HUB is a great place to sit down (if there are any benches available) and the campus has various power outlets, especially by the Starbucks. It's nice to note that if you start walking out of the campus, it takes roughly 10-15 minutes to reach Whyte Ave from here depending on how fast you're walking. Regardless, this always has lures placed 24/7 due to the international students that live on campus. It is known to have random appearances of rare pokemons, but I personally haven't caught any because I always end up walking to

Personal catches: Drowzee, Zubat, Pidgey

Whyte Ave
    If Downtown is the brains of Edmonton, Whyte Ave is the heart and soul of it. You're talking about one of the most iconic avenues in the city. From hipster beards to places where you can maintain those beards, Whyte Ave has you covered. But because of all the local businesses there, they are tons of pokestops, along with pretty much lures popped all the time. Usually the next stop after the UofA, if you don't mind a nice walk for an hour or so, Whyte Ave is the place to be. Be sure to bring 20 bucks tops though, you always end up spending money somewhere there.

Personal catches: Zubat, Eevee, Ghastly, Mankey

West Edmonton Mall
    Honestly, it's not that great for anything but pokestops. All you can really catch there are Pidgeys and Weedles, so it's actually great, but only for levelling up with the Lucky Egg strategy. The GPS is wonky as well, but at least you can charge your phones there! The mall literally has Pokestop signs up in case you don't have your phone on the app.

Personal catches: Pidgey, Weedle

Edmonton Valley Zoo
    Left the most awesome place for last. Apart from the fact that there's real animals to see here, the zoo literally has a map you can look up without haven't to use any app before going on the hunt. Lure ahoy!

Personal catches: Don't have any, when I went there my phone died, but everyone around me had fun, so I can vouch for it.

If you made it this far through my post, I'd like to thank you for reading. It was a labor of love to actually go out with friends and tackle on this quest, and I had a lot of fun doing it.

Some very helpful links that gave me the extra upper hand when writing this guide:
    The Pokemon GO Google Map for Gyms and Pokestops
    The Pokemon GO Edmonton & Alberta Facebook Group
    /r/PokemonGOYEG
    /r/TheSilphRoad

You should definitely visit them if you want to get that extra edge from everyone else when being the very best, no one ever was.

Shoutout to James Falconer for being patient with me for this guide.

Thanks for reading!
    martinjdub likes this.
    08-23-16 08:53 PM
    Even though I'm from Calgary, I support this message
    Djlatino likes this.
    08-24-16 06:43 PM