Just installed bbRingtones and I am able to assign custom sounds to my app notifications. However, bbRingtones doesn't seem to be able to see my list of BBM contacts. Not sure what's up here - any help would be appreciated.

I have BBM and bbRingtones installed on an S7 running nougat.
    04-29-17 03:18 PM
    BLUF, I have experienced your issue. After a good deal of effort in contacting the developer, I moved on with no resolution.

As a concept, this app had a lot going for it. This was especially attractive to those moving to Android from BB10. The execution and follow-on support, however, was poor at best. I had so many issues with that app that I finally gave up and uninstalled it. In fact, I liked the concept so well that I actually bought it twice.

One of my issues was that I bought an early version of the app and the new app (with a new name then a second new name) would not recognize my license. I bought a new license hoping to make it work. No success. Another issue was that I would get dual notifications from the app. This was two bbRingtones sound notifications 180 degrees out of phase with each other, not parallel notifications from bbRingtones and the mail or message client. Finally, I could not get the app to recognize my individual contacts in BBM. It did see my BBM group though.

This was with multiple installations on multiple devices, so I don't expect that it's device specific. My final attempt was last fall with my S7 Edge on Marshmallow. The common thread here is that the developer was not responsive to my requests for help. We exchanged a few messages and then he kind of threw up his hands and walked away. None of the issues were fixed.

I got the general impression that this was a half-hearted implementation of a decent idea, and the developer seems to have just gotten bored with it and moved on. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a decent alternative for assigning separate notification tones in BBM. As my BBM contact list has only two contacts and one group now, it just hasn't been all that important for me to look for anything else.
    05-12-17 05:27 PM
    I contacted the developer and the reason why bbRingtones doesn't work initially is because the app isn't allowed to access you list of contacts. Instead, it can only access notifications so you have to wait until you get a BBM from one of your contacts before bbRingtones can assign a ring tone to it. This is also 'in the manual' - I guess I should start reading instructions.

Unfortunately, bbRingtones over-rides the "do not disturb" mode on my phone so I had to delete the app - I sent the bug into the developer. I switched to Light Flow - and I was able to configure it, much the same way that bbRingtones is 'supposed' to work. It's a bit more work - and I won't get into it on this post (if anyone is curious how to set up Light Flow with BBM contacts, you can message me), but ultimately, Light Flow is a better designed app with more functionality and a nicer user interface.
    05-14-17 11:10 AM