Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default (Opinion) Amazon Appstore won't be a Gamechanger

imho the amazon appstore is useless, filled with outdated apps and more crap than bbw. for example deezer in the app store is years old, its not better than the bbw version at all. paypal app is geo restricted yet paypal is available in my country. if you search for viber, whatsapp etc you get more junk than BBW had in the app for xy days. personally other than games (probably, i dont play any so i dont know?) the amazon appstore seems to be a useless crap and might even make the opinion of bb apps worse

what do you think?
    Factory unlocked BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    AngryPerson likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm in agreement there.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

The whingeing about the Amazon store is quite something, it really is.

I use it, I quite like it, and I love the free app of the day.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by 2:
    mkelley65 (08-24-2014),  wincyUt (08-24-2014) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Banco View Post
    The whingeing about the Amazon store is quite something, it really is.
    I use it, I quite like it, and I love the free app of the day.
    Posted via CB10
    i dont mind android apps at all, i do like the fact that we are getting an android app store, but amazon just doesnt seem to be the one that will move things forward. the state of the amazon appstore isnt any better than BBW if not worse
    kbz1960 and AngryPerson like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

For last couple of years all we heard about "the app gap"... with Amazon it adds a couple of hundred thousand more apps.... no one ever claimed that they were better... just more.... for me I have no need of Andoid apps as my native apps do me just fine.... as a consumer society the idea to sell us the idea we are missing out.... in the case of BB user is ... you do not have Netflix, Spotify, Instagram etc...... all reports indicate that the new OS 3.1 runs Android as well as Android... that being said.... what is usable is in the eye of the beholder..... At this point BB runs most Android apps that do not need Google Serivces.... guess for some it is not a case of what you have but more of a case of what you percieve you are missing.....
    CrackBerry Genius

Simple... if you don't want to use the Amazon Appstore, then don't use it.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by 2:
    ayekon (08-24-2014),  wincyUt (08-24-2014) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by dbmalloy View Post
    For last couple of years all we heard about "the app gap"... with Amazon it adds a couple of hundred thousand more apps.... no one ever claimed that they were better... just more.... for me I have no need of Andoid apps as my native apps do me just fine.... as a consumer society the idea to sell us the idea we are missing out.... in the case of BB user is ... you do not have Netflix, Spotify, Instagram etc...... all reports indicate that the new OS 3.1 runs Android as well as Android... that being said.... what is usable is in the eye of the beholder..... At this point BB runs most Android apps that do not need Google Serivces.... guess for some it is not a case of what you have but more of a case of what you percieve you are missing.....
    honestly i only miss paypal and the latest deezer app with flow and HQ support (nor the bbw nor the appstore version has HQ), but i solved both from snap and using gmaps patcher to remove the google services junk that are not even used anywhere in either app.. .so i dont know why its there in the first place, but i do understand social media driven ppl who need snapchat, instagram and so on. btw unfortunately we are not there yet to be as good as an android phone. viber and skype got a lot better, just as good as they ran on my galaxy s4 although i barely use them anyway, i only have those because a few people (2-3) refuse to install a decent chat app. but deezer app from snap isnt all that great yet (oh im talking about latest 10.3 leak)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts

As my mother always told me, never look a gift horse in the mouth.

BlackBerry heard we wanted to run android apps, so they made an emulator so we can easily run them.

BlackBerry heard we wanted more Apps, so they got us the Amazon App store.

BlackBerry heard we wanted more high end devices, so they gave us the passport.

Honestly stop whining about this is not working and that's rubbish ect. Be happy that BlackBerry is listening to all its loyal fans and it's making improvements all the time to make OS 10 more secure, user friendly and App or game friendly

Rant over hope you all have a great day

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 SQR100-2
    Sony Ericsson W910i (3 Years) , BlackBerry 8520 (3 Years) , BlackBerry Q5 (1 Year So Far)
    Thanked by 10:
    ayekon (08-24-2014),  Banco (08-24-2014),  eduzojordan (08-25-2014),  Elessar.cm (08-24-2014),  imadorkx (08-26-2014),  NaijaBerry (08-25-2014),  scmcc16 (08-25-2014),  Shadowyugi (08-24-2014),  wincyUt (08-24-2014),  WWBlondieDo (08-24-2014) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post

BlackBerry heard we wanted to run android apps, so they made an emulator so we can easily run them.

Honestly stop whining about this is not working and that's rubbish ect. Be happy that BlackBerry is listening to all its loyal fans and it's making improvements all the time to make OS 10 more secure, user friendly and App or game friendly

i think people misunderstood me, the amazon appstore doesnt affect me in any way, this is not a rant thread, its just my opinion that it wont help in any way for those lacking apps. although i do think that a crappy appstore can scare people away from the platform
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by dvarnai View Post
    i think people misunderstood me, the amazon appstore doesnt affect me in any way, this is not a rant thread, its just my opinion that it wont help in any way for those lacking apps. although i do think that a crappy appstore can scare people away from the platform
    But you've used the term 'game changer' in the title. I doubt anyone expects that, they expect it to offer improvements. And it does.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,628 Global Posts

I will keep on using snap. Amazon app store wasn't the best partnership.

I was excited to see amazon services but I don't think blackberry will be getting prime type services.

I haven't found a positive to having an amazon store android port on bb10 at all.
    Like the op said the apps are out dated, not many apps and region specific (mostly US).

From my view it was a terrible business decision..

If they partnered with amazon to get native apps and services like amazon: firefly, ec2, audible, cloud drive, wallet, prime services and amazon apps in our blackberry world like this mock up (http://berryflow.com/2014/06/amazon-...blackberry-10/).
    That could have been the most genius decision ever and would get blackberry users using amazon more.

If you don't know what ec2 is http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/details/ it's for enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khehl; 08-24-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    Blackberry needs to make their own Z30 and Z10 Bluetooth Keyboard Case
    Search "**Z30 Bluetooth Keyboard Case IDEA**`` in the forums
    Petition for "New Wanted Features" Subforum
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-10-os-893384/
    Thanked by:
    jamezalexander (08-26-2014) 
    CrackBerry Master

Blackberry isn't in the consumer market anymore. So who cares? It fills a void for those that don't have one yet that can't figure out how to use snap.. It's a stop gap for anyone wishing to actually buy a bb device still.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,628 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyBC View Post
    Blackberry isn't in the consumer market anymore. So who cares? It fills a void for those that don't have one yet that can't figure out how to use snap.. It's a stop gap for anyone wishing to actually buy a bb device still.
    With blackberry concentrating on 3rd world countries that amazon doesn't support is a problem.

Amazon opened up to a lot of countries just recently but can those people download instagram for example? Tbh I dont know and hopefully those people can get those big consumer apps.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Well some people will use this. Especially Kids who are used to get anything for free and those who don't care about security of their data or anything else.

I personally will never use this POS. IMO we already have more than enough crap Apps with Permissions you can't disable within BBW. Its a shame that BlackBerry need to kiss a*es to get Android User over / back to the BlackBerry Ecosystem. But that's the reality for now. And I hope it's the right Decision in the long term.

But the good Side of it is: We who don't want to use it can simply ignore it

Via CB10 App / Z10-2@10.3.0.700+442+296 Alien
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,626 Global Posts

Amazon is the only Android app store BlackBerry can hope to have compatibility with; Play store requires Google Play Services. Quite frankly the fact that BlackBerry managed to get Amazon's sanction means that if and when social networking services such as LINE supports Amazon app store, BlackBerry too will get the benefit

Unless amazon starts bundling its own framework in its own OS, then BlackBerry is screwed again.

I find that amazon app store is simply a move by BlackBerry to move all the Android ports from BlackBerry World. Honestly? Whenever I see an Android port in BlackBerry World, no matter how well it runs the review is filled with "good, but please make native version" or "this thing is Android port! 1 star!" making the effort that much less useful

Now they have an Android store for all their Android porting needs

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    Awesome keyboard | High resolution display
    Ergonomic grip | Good performance
    That's my BlackBerry Z10
    CrackBerry User

I think the deal with the amazon appstore was done by BlackBerry to basically shut up people who keep talking about the 'app gap'.

Personally, I think 98% of apps are totally useless, if you have a good web browser (BlackBerry has the best) then you can do anything with your phone.

Do I use the amazon appstore - yes, I've tried it. Its ok. Not a game changer for me, but I was fine with BlackBerry world anyways.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,462 Global Posts

I was having a tough time with Amazon apps, some worked on my Z30 some did not and it is always annoying when there is an app that's important to you (for me Plex is an example) and it crashes every time you try and launch it.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon I loaded the last leak of OS 10.3 on my Z30 and things seem to be much better and some apps that did not work (like Plex) previously are working now. I am not saying things are perfect, I still note some lag in quite a few - but things are certainly much better than they were.

I give BlackBerry credit for trying this. BB10 was not attracting devs and if BlackBerry had done nothing at all we would all be in a far worse place than we are now. Is the Android runtime perfect - no. Is it better than no runtime at all - IMHO yes. The option for a glass half full is better than for certain the glass being empty.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    484 Global Posts

Not gonna be a game changer, but it definitely helps the "app gap".

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,628 Global Posts

Posted in the wrong thread :s
    Last edited by khehl; 08-24-2014 at 02:41 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

It does not fix the application gap.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by khehl View Post
    10.3.0.296 was definitely better on the battery that's for sure.

Z30

Posted via CB10
    Funny, I find the opposite... I do have the initial battery drain of download, install, setup and whatnot... But that is expected.

Z10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by nabil114 View Post
    It does not fix the application gap.
    No but it does put a dent in it...

Kind of nice to have Teamviewer via a store download so I can work on all my relatives PC's with little hassle from anywhere in the world...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

I actually want to delete it. Snap works just fine for me.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post

Did your mother really say that to you

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

It may not be good enough but if it means the media and the so called tech sites shut up about their app gap rubbish then I'm happy.

Posted via CB10
    nwansukka likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast