When people respond like this ^, can you blame him?
    Yes, he was asked nicely by a lot of people to share the file or at least tell which version was, but he just told them that he didnt remember, the community has expected netflix for years and to post a video on the main page showing netflix working and then just tell the community: do it yourself I dont remember is just cruel, no wonder people is reacting like that now, they have tried every apk (myself included) on the website Bla1ze said he found it, but they dont work at all.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-13-13 06:39 PM
    Yea it probably wasn't a good idea to post the video if he wasn't going to say or show how he did it.

This is a new CrackBerry indeed. What happen to being one Nation under crack?...a Team? Lol honestly I think if it were possible for us average Joe to do then they would show us how.

There is something else going on that can't be shared is my guess.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    02-13-13 06:56 PM
    Yea it probably wasn't a good idea to post the video if he wasn't going to say or show how he did it.

This is a new CrackBerry indeed. What happen to being one Nation under crack?...a Team? Lol honestly I think if it were possible for us average Joe to do then they would show us how.

There is something else going on that can't be shared is my guess

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    Exactly...
    02-13-13 10:31 PM
    Then what about being honest about it and dont giving people false hope.....
    02-13-13 10:36 PM
    something custom must be going on. lots of very smart forum members have been trying every version they can find with no luck. a h3ll of a lot more than 30 versions have been tried. Bla1ze must know how to "trick" the file into thinking it was on a different device or something
    02-13-13 10:44 PM
    does anyone know if the playbooks android runtime is the same as a certain android device? there were a lot of modded apks that worked on certain devices. If we knew which device was like the playbook maybe we could narrow it down.
    02-14-13 02:35 PM
    No, it's not "the same as a certain device". Any APK with the device check removed should work on all devices. I am quite certain that the reason it doesn't work on the PB is the lack of support for native code in the PB's Android runtime. Netflix needs native code, so without support for it, there's no way it could work. (i.e. if it works on the Z10, the Z10 must support native code...)

EDIT: BTW, apparently the version Bla1ze was running was 1.8.0. (Current version is 2.1.2)
    02-14-13 03:08 PM
    Does the z10 support native android code? anyone knows?
    02-23-13 12:55 PM
    Does the z10 support native android code? anyone knows?
    no. just has runtime like the playbook
    02-23-13 05:06 PM
    Hello all, newbie here. Just signed up and got my Blackberry keys and downloaded what I believe to be the 1.8.0 Netflix APK and converted it to a BAR and then signed it and it loads up on my Playbook to a black screen and that's it. :/

Just as an FYI, I've converted and signed a dozen APK's and most work but some do not so I "Think" I know what I'm doing.
    02-24-13 03:02 PM
    Hello all, newbie here. Just signed up and got my Blackberry keys and downloaded what I believe to be the 1.8.0 Netflix APK and converted it to a BAR and then signed it and it loads up on my Playbook to a black screen and that's it. :/

Just as an FYI, I've converted and signed a dozen APK's and most work but some do not so I "Think" I know what I'm doing.
    Yeah, plenty of people have already tried what you describe, it certainly doesn't work on the PB. Either the Z10 has some significant changes to the Android Runtime (which will hopefully filter through to the PB before too long) or else Crackberry have access to some secret stuff (whether from Blackberry or Netflix or elsewhere, I don't know). Or it was fake (but I highly doubt that, it looked pretty real).
    02-24-13 03:21 PM
    it had to be a modded apk. I downloaded every possible version of netflix 1.8 but found no success.
    02-24-13 04:38 PM
    is modding apks something we can ask about here?
    02-26-13 09:28 PM
    is modding apks something we can ask about here?
    I see no real reason why not, although if it's not related to Netflix it doesn't belong in this thread. Provided it is related, I'd say fire away with any questions. (If there are any objections, you can feel free to PM me as well, I know a bit about modding APKs so may be able to offer answers to questions you have).
    02-27-13 04:15 AM
    cool thanks. I am just wondering if that's something we should be testing it out. if anyone can mod the versions available and see if they will work
    02-27-13 05:34 PM
    cool thanks. I am just wondering if that's something we should be testing it out. if anyone can mod the versions available and see if they will work
    The problem with the existing versions is they use native code. No amount of modding is going to change that. Huge portions of the app (namely, the video codecs) are coded in native code, and it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to rewrite them in Java, especially without any access to any source.

Modding APKs is usually for small things e.g. replacing resources (images etc.) to change the look/layout of an app, or removing checks such as device checks or checks for root (a few apps refuse to work on rooted phones, so the APK is modded to work on rooted phones). Big changes aren't usually possible.
    02-28-13 04:45 AM
    oh. well thanks for explaining this. back to the drawing board while we wait
    02-28-13 07:21 PM
    Does the instagram bar that was just leak shed any light onto the Netflix bar? Just wondering if there is any connection with them...
    03-04-13 02:20 PM
    Does the instagram bar that was just leak shed any light onto the Netflix bar? Just wondering if there is any connection with them...
    Well, if they're in some way related, it's not particularly good news for the Playbook, as the Instagram BAR doesn't work on it...however, I may have more of a look at it and see if I can figure anything out...

EDIT: Had a closer look at that BAR; there is nothing special about it. The APK within it is exactly the same as an Instagram v3.1.0 APK I found online:

Code:
    C:\Users\Downloads>fciv -add "com.instagram.android-310.apk" -both
    //
    // File Checksum Integrity Verifier version 2.05.
    //
                    MD5                             SHA-1
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    f68a6b0a2fd6c11424dba7f9be875f0d a9bdccdf73e1e29b12e2d163b904949266fb26b5 com.instagram.android-310.apk

C:\Users\Downloads>fciv -add "Instagram_3.1.0.apk" -both
    //
    // File Checksum Integrity Verifier version 2.05.
    //
                    MD5                             SHA-1
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    f68a6b0a2fd6c11424dba7f9be875f0d a9bdccdf73e1e29b12e2d163b904949266fb26b5 instagram_3.1.0.apk
    There is no special trick going on hereEDIT:Well, maybe something a bit different (see below), it's just a case of the regular APK was converted by someone, and it worked. This would seem to imply that BB10 supports native code in Android apps, which would also explain why Netflix functions there (provided device checks are disabled etc.). Until such functionality is added to the Playbook, it will run neither app.

(Not that it really matters, but for the record the first APK above is the one from the BAR posted on the CB blog, the second APK is one I found online having seen the version number of the one from the BAR)

EDIT: Analysis continued below: #73
    Last edited by SifJar; 03-07-13 at 04:17 PM.
    03-04-13 03:18 PM
    Well, if they're in some way related, it's not particularly good news for the Playbook, as the Instagram BAR doesn't work on it...however, I may have more of a look at it and see if I can figure anything out...

EDIT: Had a closer look at that BAR; there is nothing special about it. The APK within it is exactly the same as an Instagram v3.1.0 APK I found online:

There is no special trick going on here, it's just a case of the regular APK was converted by someone, and it worked. This would seem to imply that BB10 supports native code in Android apps, which would also explain why Netflix functions there (provided device checks are disabled etc.). Until such functionality is added to the Playbook, it will run neither app.

(Not that it really matters, but for the record the first APK above is the one from the BAR posted on the CB blog, the second APK is one I found online having seen the version number of the one from the BAR)
    Man, thats real unfortunate since all the apks that i converted for netflix were tested on my PlayBook. I may have to go digging in my recycling bin for some "failed" bars and find a z10 owner to test them out. I literally converted roughly 20 different apks.
    03-04-13 05:58 PM
    just hope that we can get that working version of Netflix out soon before everyone goes crazy lol
    03-07-13 06:54 AM
    Man, thats real unfortunate since all the apks that i converted for netflix were tested on my PlayBook. I may have to go digging in my recycling bin for some "failed" bars and find a z10 owner to test them out. I literally converted roughly 20 different apks.
    Proud Z10 owner here. I would be happy to test each and every one for you!
    03-07-13 06:59 AM
    I was looking at the Instagram BAR posted a few days ago again, and I noticed something interesting: There is an additional line in the MANIFEST.MF file.

I compared the BAR to a BAR I converted myself from the exact same APK. The only significant difference (beyond different signatures due to using my keys instead of the keys used to sign the BAR posted on CB) is the addition of the following line:

Code:
    Entry-Point-System-Actions: _sys_android_rrr
    Which came after this section (almost identical in my own BAR and the CB BAR):

Code:
    Entry-Point-Name: Instagram
    Entry-Point-Icon: android/res/drawable-mdpi/icon.png
    Entry-Point-Type: Qnx/Android
    Entry-Point: android://com.instagram.android?activity-name=com.instagram.android.activity.MainTabActivity
    Entry-Point-User-Actions: access_shared,play_audio,post_notification,access_internet,use_camera,read_geolocation
    (I say "almost" identical as some of the "Entry-Point-User-Actions" where in a different order, and the icon file was named slightly differently, but those changes are insignificant)

I cannot say for sure, but perhaps this line has some importance?

EDIT: I'll also note here that this page states that native code is still unsupported on BB10; I can't see how this could be true following the evidence of Instagram and Netflix both functioning.

(I realise that all this has little to do with Netflix on the Playbook, but I started my analysis of the Instagram BAR here, so I figured I would continue it here too. If you can think of a more appropriate place, feel free to link to this post and/or the one above)

EDIT: A little more investigation shows that the author of this BAR is Jason Loustel, who according to a quick Google search is a software developer for RIM (I guess he never updated his Google+/LinkedIn after the name change). I figured that was interesting/noteworthy; looks like an "inside job" so to speak. [I considered not posting this part, but it was very easy to extract this info from the BAR file posted on CB, so I don't think it's a big secret. If I'm wrong and this is sensitive info, mods please remove this part]
    Last edited by SifJar; 03-07-13 at 04:19 PM.
    nappp and BrizzadMan like this.
    03-07-13 11:14 AM
    LOL... I had noticed the same thing in the Manifest file... curious.

Edit... should clarify that I meant I noticed this in the manifest file of the working Netflix .apk, I haven't looked at the instagram .apk
    Bill
    Last edited by bill-ns; 03-11-13 at 09:28 PM.
    03-11-13 07:36 PM
    good work. must be nice to have connections
    03-11-13 08:41 PM
96 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD