Just had to try it and it worked! Flawlessly! Even the GPS-fix is great indoor!

Check it out for yourself! (P.s. it is possible that the 1st time, it doesn't work directly but open it again and it works fine!)
    com.google.android.apps.maps_v5.11.0.bar - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
    mail2aj, redpearlv and fbloise like this.
    11-02-11 11:43 AM
    guess it's time to test out some new android apps
    11-02-11 11:47 AM
    Thanks for posting that bar file Daniel.

I tried it but cannot get the GPS enabled. Which is strange, because the GPS does work with other Android apps I have tried such as Locus. Did you do anything to enable it ?

gail
    11-02-11 04:25 PM
    Thanks for posting that bar file Daniel.

I tried it but cannot get the GPS enabled. Which is strange, because the GPS does work with other Android apps I have tried such as Locus. Did you do anything to enable it ?

gail
    No, i was upstairs in my house and the fix was there within 1 second. Did you try it outside already? There are not any settings i turned on for GPS
    11-02-11 05:02 PM
    I did !! and my compass and Locus both showed a fix.
    11-02-11 05:36 PM
    this is great news...
    11-02-11 09:56 PM
    Even the 45deg view works! (two fingers slide down on the screen)
    11-03-11 07:23 AM
    great.

tbh, this is the only app i really care about.
    11-03-11 08:31 AM
    It's really strange - my GPS works in most other apps I have tried (Compass, Locus, OsmAnd etc) - but the minuteI start up this app, I get a message saying "GPS Disabled" and "Your current location is unavailable"

If I have GPS working in another app, and then start Google Maps up, it gets immediately disabled for all apps.

gail
    11-03-11 02:04 PM
    tried it as soon as i do a search in themaps it closes the app
    12-06-11 05:33 PM
    When I crank it up on the latest OS2 beta it tells me:

Network failure: This application requires a working data connection. <Exit>

My wifi is connected and working fine.. Not sure what the deal is..
    Last edited by Mojoski; 12-06-11 at 06:30 PM.
    12-06-11 06:27 PM
    I am getting map overlays... But they are sluggish...
    12-06-11 08:50 PM
    will try later.
    thank you.
    12-06-11 09:36 PM
    When I crank it up on the latest OS2 beta it tells me:

Network failure: This application requires a working data connection. <Exit>

My wifi is connected and working fine.. Not sure what the deal is..
    I get that too, the only way I found to fix it is to do a security wipe. I think it comes from a previous version being installed.

Also as a note. I tried google maps beta 6. and that seems to work. I say seems to work because I cant get a gps lock
    12-07-11 07:28 AM
    Can someone try this file for me its maps ver. 6 beta. I can get it to run, but it can't find the gps for me. maps.bar - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Last edited by bbaleno; 12-07-11 at 10:59 AM.
    12-07-11 10:13 AM
    I can't remember where I grabbed this, but here's a BAR of the slightly-newer-than-v5.11, Google Maps v5.12.

Google_Maps_v5.12.0.bar
    12-07-11 11:01 AM
    Well for me works fine the first 5 minutes, then the app starts with some problems. Sometime the app crash and I need to restart my PB, but maybe is my PB.

Thanks!!
    12-11-11 11:25 PM
    same here. it works but crashes when i hit enter on the search box. now i cant seem to downgrade back to any versions :S.
    12-12-11 11:33 AM
    LoL same here had to wipe start over, I tried every single versio even beta 6 and no go,the only one that works perfect is 4.3.o even the gps lock is in seconds !
    12-12-11 11:37 AM
    None of them work for me, they all crash, even 4.3
    12-14-11 02:55 PM
    as of the latest updste 6.0.1 is working fine for me
    12-18-11 01:34 AM
    updated to OS 2 and tried advises listed above and installed different bar files, still cannot get any map/compass program working.... Do I have to run a security wipeout or re-install? Any suggestions are very appreciated!
    01-14-12 11:39 PM
    For some reason not having any luck with ANY version with Google Maps/ Places, etc... I wonder what it is, when I start the app, a map shows up, I start typing an address, ANY address, when I choose it from the populated address... poof... the app closes, and I find myself gazing at the "Recent Applications" window...

Anyone else having this? TIA!
    01-17-12 09:15 AM
    Same issue for me. I have installed the OS Beta on 2 different occasions, both times I have done security wipes. I always have the same errors with Google maps, no GPS lock and whenever I try to search the app closes. I have tried all posted versions of google maps and have had the same results with each. Not sure why some people are using this successfully and not others. One question I have is if you have had Google maps working, which version of the OS 2 beta were you using and with which version of Google Maps?

On a side note I discovered, in another Crackberry.com post last night, a good alternative for the time being. Try using Nokia Maps at m.maps.nokia.com.

Having briefly been an Android user the one feature I miss is Google maps with the built in turn by turn navigation. Simply put it was awesome and I miss it a lot.
    01-17-12 09:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD