Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    (Ask Me)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Review: OEM Leather Holster for BlackBerry Storm

I have always been the kind of person who carries her phone in her pocket, because I have always owned cheap phones. The protection provided by my pocket was always sufficient for me, and any damage done by pocketing the phone was insignificant to me. I wanted my phone close to me, so I put it in my pocket. It was all very simple. Then I bought a BlackBerry Storm. Sure, I bought it at a discounted price, but I couldn't help but constantly think to myself "this phone is worth $500!" and worry incessantly about keeping it safe from harm. Suddenly my pocket wasn't good enough anymore.

I decided to buy the OEM leather holster for the Storm because I felt that it would be the next best thing to putting it in my pocket; I could keep the phone close to me and have the superior protection I wanted. The fact that it was an official accessory with a one year limited warranty was comforting, but I confess I was drawn in mainly by the real leather, sharp contrast stitching, and stylish sleeper magnet bearing the BlackBerry logo.

The case has a sturdy plastic multi-rotational clip with over 20 possible settings. The clip has a U bend or "hook" at the bottom, which allows it to clip very securely to jeans, a belt, or just about anything else. The length of the entire inch-wide clip is a bit over 2.5". The U bend is around a gap of 1cm, the perfect size for almost any belt.

The Storm fits very snugly in this case, but is still easy to insert and remove. I would not do so without looking, however, as I once almost snagged my send key on the edge of the holster. The inside lining is vinyl-like, and has left no marks or fibers of any kind on my device.

I work at an animal shelter, which requires lots of bending, squatting, leaning, stooping, sitting, standing, and sometimes running after escaped animals. The holster held fast during all of this, and was reasonably comfortable to wear. The magnetic closure is strong against gravity, but not against being snagged on something. Still, holstered right side up or horizontally, the Storm is safe and sound. In the highly unlikely event that the holster falls, as long as it isn't dropped from a height of several stories, the phone will almost certainly remain unharmed inside the case. At worst, the exposed top corners may be scuffed or chipped if it lands on them.

As I previously mentioned, this is a stylish leather holster with contrast stitching and logo accents on the front and the back, where the logo is embossed near the bottom of the case. Men can wear this holster confidently, knowing that it is sleek and eye-catching. For ladies, at 5" tall and 1.5" wide (clip included), this case is a bit bulky to slip in a smaller purse. My boyfriend tells me that phone holsters aren't becoming on a woman, but I wear my Storm on my jeans with pride. I call it geek chic.

In short: this holster looks great and works great, and can now be purchased at the CrackBerry Store for $24.95 (LINK)- a great deal, with the MSRP at almost twice that price! I haven't been disappointed with it in the slightest. In fact, I'm tempted to get it in blue and brown as well!

Quick Review

Pros
    + Stylish
    + Affordable
    + Very secure fit
    + Functioning sleeper magnet
    + Official BB product with 1 year limited Warranty through BlackBerry/RIM

Cons
    - Phone keys can be snagged if phone isn't inserted carefully
    - Top corners of phone are exposed
    - A bit bulky, may not fit easily into some purses or briefcases
    - LED is covered while case is closed
    - Volume controls cannot be accessed while phone is holstered

Pictures are attached. I apologize for the flash and bad sharpening in Photoshop, but I wanted to provide you all with a very clear picture of the clip. If you have any questions about the product I may be able to answer, feel free to ask and I'd be more than happy to!

Update
    Someone pointed out in a review on the CrackBerry Store product page that the LED is covered and volume controls are inaccessible while the phone is holstered and the case is closed. I have verified this to be true and added those to the "cons".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: OEM Leather Holster for BlackBerry Storm-casereview-front.jpg   Review: OEM Leather Holster for BlackBerry Storm-casereview-back.jpg   Review: OEM Leather Holster for BlackBerry Storm-casereview-clip.jpg   Review: OEM Leather Holster for BlackBerry Storm-casereview-front-withphone-.jpg  
    Last edited by Laren; 02-03-2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: additional information
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!

Inserting the Phone upside down will keep you from snagging the buttons, but you loose the Mute/Silence function when the phone rings.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    OT NOIR. Yum!

handy review, still looking for a case.
    Retired Superstar

Global Posts
    15,539 Global Posts

Great review, thanks for the input!!

CrackBerry Newbie

I have the side holster and I love it. I cannot add a picture to this response because I am new but the side oem leather holster fits perfectly on my storm. It does not interfere with anything and it is easy to get in and out.