04-22-10 09:03 PM
- I recently got a new Storm 2 and have been obsessing over cases. I want a good pocket pouch and a good top holster, with sleep function. I've searched the internet far and wide and tried out at least 7 different cases. shop.crackberry.com has a good selection and I've bought some there as well as from Verizon and AT&T. Non of them are quite right. Eventually I made my own. But first, a tour of the best cases.
This is the RIM top-loading holster for Storm2:
Its protective and has a good swivel clip that does not dig into your side. But it is somewhat porky wouldn't you say?
Here's a neat top-loading holster from Verizon that also serves as a protective skin:
I really like this case, but the swivel clip rides too high and digs into your side.
This Milante case from shop.crackberry.com is a very nice leather top-loading holster:
The Storm slips in and out very easily. The swivel clip is leather and discreet. The only problem is that the case is a little wide as it was originally made for the BB 8800 series.
Now for the pocket pouches (like a top loading case without a swivel clip for carrying in your pocket).
This is the RIM leather pouch:
Its very distinguished but a bit ostentatious and porky too. Also its hard to remove the Storm from the case without putting fingerprints on the camera.
Finally, here is the RIM pouch for the Verizon Tour 8630:
This case is perfect. Slim, discreet, nice looking, and easy to pull the Storm out by grabbing its sides. RIM even makes a top-loading holster in this style. There's only one problem and its a killer - the sleeper magnet is in the wrong place! Its near the bottom of the case and the Storm wants it in the middle.
I'll show you in my next post how I modified the Tour case to work with the Storm.01-31-10 05:10 PM
- So I had finally found the perfect case for the Storm / Storm 2 - its RIM's case for the Verizon Tour 8630! But the sleeper magnet is in the wrong place. Here's how I added a sleeper magnet to the Tour pouch case.
I had determined that only one magnet was needed in the middle on one side of the case to activate the Storm's sleeper function, whether you put the Storm facing in or out:
There is a nice wide groove inside the case for the Tour's trackball:
If I could find a magnet it would fit nicely in that groove without getting in the way of the Storm!
I found an old case that I had for my Pearl 8130 and took out the magnets. Then I made a little support harness (on left) for one of them using cardboard and fabric from the Pearl case:
I scotch-taped one magnet on the outside of the Tour case in the proper position. Then I glued the other magnet inside in the groove. The magnet on the outside pulled the inside magnet to the proper position and pressed it against the groove while the glue dried. Then I applied glue to the rest of the groove and glued the fabric and cardboard support over the magnet. I put a styrofoam insert into the case and tightened it closed with rubber bands overnight to let the glue set.
Here you can see the finished product with the fabric covering the magnet and cardboard supports in the groove:
It works like a charm! I will be purchasing the top-loading holster for the Tour and modding it too, then I will be in case heaven
Last edited by wpwoodjr; 02-02-10 at 09:40 AM.01-31-10 05:52 PM
I didn't like the swivel clip because it dug into my side so I cut it off to make it a pocketable case.01-31-10 08:24 PM
Incipio Carrying Cases - Ultra Light feather Slim Form Fitted Case for BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 - Molina Red02-01-10 07:54 PM
- SlcCorradoBlackBerry02-01-10 08:41 PM
- Nice mod on that case, certainly looks sharp! I'd use something like that, but between my job (po po), and my children, I need something offering more protection. I opted for the Otterbox Defender, for work, and the Otterbox Commuter for play.Thats what's great about the otterbox. It has the silicone cover, but also has a hard plastic cover so it slides in and out of pockets nicely This is the one I have BlackBerry Storm2 Commuter Case // OtterBox.com02-01-10 08:49 PM
- I had 2 of these for my Storm 1. They are great. Very light, and don't stick to your pockets. I'm including the link to the orange one so you can see it better on the phone ... but there are other colors. The only down side to Incipio, their cases are always out of stock... so if you want one and it's in stock, get it right away!!!
Incipio Carrying Cases - Ultra Light feather Slim Form Fitted Case for BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 - Molina Red
Verizon snap-on case
Comes in black too. In the store I saw a blue one without peace signs.02-02-10 09:35 AM
- 02-02-10 09:43 AM
Its fairly hideous after you cut the swivel clip off, wish they made one without the swivel clip.
Last edited by wpwoodjr; 02-02-10 at 09:49 AM.02-02-10 09:46 AM
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com02-02-10 11:34 AM
Last edited by wpwoodjr; 02-12-10 at 08:08 PM.02-12-10 08:02 PM
- cheers for the advice...ive jus done the same as i didn't like the case that comes with the 9520...
here in the UK the tour case is the same as the bold 9700 case...so bought that today and took the magnet out of the original storm2 case and put it in the groove...!
works a treat and finally a case i like to keep with me!!!
Thanks again for the idea!!03-30-10 09:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD