BestSkinsEver Screen Review W/PICS
Howejustin's Official Review of BestSkinsEver (after already trying ZAGG)
UPDATED: Applied all pieces for the full body protection, added lots of pics.
So I know a lot of you are on the fence about what protector to choose, or are waiting to see this review of BSE as well as fin's review of Phantom Skins before proceeding with your purchase. So, here it is.
1. At first glance, before peeling the skin off of it's backing, I noticed there was no orange peel affect on the BSE skin. Whether or not ZAGG's protectors tend to lose this affect over time, not having it to start with is always a plus.
2. I'll be honest, it took me a couple tries to get this one right. According to my experience, this one requires less water/liquid to be used than the ZAGG shield, as I found out the hard way that once you start smoothing out the bubbles, the BSE protector started adhering to the screen much quicker than ZAGG's. This means that there were a couple water bubbles left over that I was not able to move to the side, so I had to peel it up and try again.
3. The next go-around went flawlessly. I used a minimal amount of water (I used the ZAGG spray bottle, which is a very fine-misting spray, and squeegee), just a couple sprays on each set of fingers and one spray to cover the entire protector. Then, with a steady hand I placed the BSE protector along the bottom edge of the screen and slowly rolled it to the top, minimizing any air/water pockets that may become trapped. Then, as there was hardly any water used, I sprayed the edge of the squeegee a few times and used it to smooth out any leftover bubbles etc.
4. Lastly, I held a hair blow dryer on low roughly 1 foot away from the phone for about 30 - 45 seconds. Then with a fingernail, I lightly scraped away any tiny water bubbles left. They literally disappeared! The result is a flawless screen protector that looks AMAZINGLY better than the ZAGG one, or at least until ZAGG revises theirs.
FYI: The cut is perfect, by the way. I HIGHLY recommend BestSkinsEver and will continue to go to them for all of my future device protection needs.
1. This morning I decided to apply the rest of the pieces for the full body protection, minus the four pieces to cover the keys on the side of the trackball (I like those to be smooth all along, don't want any protection edges on them). All I have to say is wow! The pieces installed very easily using the method explained above. As with the screen only piece, I used minimal water (this means two sprays from ZAGG's bottle for each set of fingers and one spray for the actual piece) and a hair dryer after every piece was applied. I also lined up the pieces to the bottom edge, as it was oriented with the phone, every time. This made for a very exact placement of all pieces. Line up with the bottom for every piece = perfection (in my experience).
2. I found that during the process of applying the pieces over corners and whatnot, using the method of cupping that edge of the phone (with piece applied) in the middle of my hand and closing my hand around the phone for 30 seconds helped a lot. After doing this, I would wet my squeegee and work out any bubbles I saw, then use the hair dryer on low for 30 seconds to one minute to allow the adhesive to set a little quicker. After using the hair dryer, I was able to work out any last bubbles I saw (very tiny in size) with my nail or with the squeegee.
3. The end result is great, in my opinion. The protector actually gives the matte-black sides of the phone a more glossy look (as to match the top of the phone) and the pieces are perfectly cut. Application was very easy, and only took a steady hand as well as 30-45 minutes time.
As if that wasn't enough, here's the really cool part. I never would have even thought to try BSE after attempting ZAGG's mis-cut protector if it wasn't for the president of the company contacting me through private message. Once he read my misfortune with ZAGG on these forums, he wrote me regarding their (BSE's) product, and through a few replies, made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Now THAT'S customer service!
EDIT: As my review didn't touch on this topic, I wanted to express that the quality and durability of the BSE protector is identical to ZAGG's product. Top notch in my book!
Last edited by howejustin; 02-10-09 at 09:08 PM.
- CrackBerry Abuser
02-06-09, 09:10 PM #3
- 264 Posts
awesome....I have a phantom skinz and a BSE on order.
Phantom skinz will be here Monday...or tomorrow. Once I try the install I will let you know it goes. If its not so great I will use BSE.
Great Review...mine for Phantom Skinz is coming and I am looking forward to it since I have heard 0 neg feedback. But looks great justin, my backup full body is on its way....
I am done having one product and it doesn't work lol, I am being cautious....Ill try my PS and if it works then fantastic....if not, oh well hello BSE. I just want my screen protected already. I'd rather have two on its way so I can get it done faster then be stuck again.
Looks great justin...I look forward to installing mine and being done with this for a long long time.
Last edited by fins831; 02-06-09 at 09:14 PM.
- 02-06-09, 09:14 PM #4
I just placed my order. I wish I had tried the cheapest alternative FIRST in the beginning. I spend $20 on the IS from Zagg. After screwing it up, spend another $20 buying one off ebay when I should've just notified Zagg that it was defected. They're sending me a new one but i'm going to send it back. I got the one I bought off ebay today. Don't know what i'll do with that one. This is the first time i've taken steps to protect my cell phone and I've wasted a lot of money. Ordered the full body using the promo code. I'm getting a replacement 8900 next week from T-Mo since I broke my memory card and the other half is stuck in the phone. Can't wait to get everything over and just continuing to enjoy the phone.
- CrackBerry Abuser
02-06-09, 09:25 PM #5
- 264 Posts
Yes, Zagg was definitely a huge disappointment. All the website glitz and promises doesn't cover how bad their shipping is. Free media mail shipping and A snail could deliver it faster.
BSE is a great alternative for price.
Zagg will not see a dime of my money on a product ever again. I will always use diff brands. I will know which one in coming days lol....I just want something on my screen so I can treat it like a phone and not like a baby.
- 02-07-09, 12:28 AM #12
Thanks for the review and pics!
Something to consider. I am not unhappy with the Zagg as I got no bubbles and the screen looks flawless- except that teeny tiny bit not fitting well. I would have gone with BSE first though.
Maybe next time.
- 02-07-09, 01:46 AM #13
Justin, thanks for the review and the pics. I can't wait for my BSE to come in so I can try it out and send this IS back. I remember I ordered the IS because it came with the squeegie and the bottle and the BSE didn't. Ah well, wutcha gonna do? Live and learn. BSE is on the way.
- CrackBerry User
02-07-09, 01:56 AM #14
- 26 Posts
- Don't have one
Thanks for the post. As a Blackberry newbie I've been on the fence on what to do: screen protector (BSE/Zagg), silicone case, holster; or otterbox; just a holster, etc.
I think that I will go with a BSE screen protector, Siedo skin and holster.
- CrackBerry Master
02-07-09, 08:10 AM #15
- 1,321 Posts
OK - I've ordered another screen protector. I got the Zagg on the advice of all the crackberry addicts on the 8900 forum who swore by its 'military grade' material.
Well, mine did not fit either and does have the orange peel look even after curing for 3 days. I sure hope that this BSE works out because after paying too much for the phone and now defective accessories - I'm broke.
- 02-07-09, 09:55 AM #17
I will be interested to hear how the rest of the skin goes on since any company can get the screen to fit right (except Zagg). I am glad I went will Phantom because I cannot even tell there is something on the screen. I will consider BSE if people report the same for BSE.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
- CrackBerry Addict
02-07-09, 10:39 AM #19
- 616 Posts
Thanks Justin! Received my Invisible Shield yesterday (I ordered on Jan. 27) and was so disappointed that it was the wrong size, so I JUST ordered a BSE skin. I am so mad - somehow, I've already got a little "nick" on my screen! It is seriously tiny...I thought it was a speck of dirt or something. I wonder if this will affect how the skin adheres?
- 02-07-09, 10:52 AM #20
Acually I noticed on my pearl when I put the bse on the few scratches I had diappeard.
I hope it helps with yours as well. I don't think you will have an issue with it sticking.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com